Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water cylinder

Options
  • 15-07-2008 8:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Having attic converted at the mo and builder has offered to swap out existing lagged copper hot water cylinder for a foam insulated cylinder at cost price.

Good idea or waste of money?

Ta!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'd go for it. The better insulated tank will be more efficient / cheaper to run. Plus depending on the age of the existing tank it may well be calcified and getting to the point where it needs to be replaced anyway. It probably won't be cheap or easy to replace later when all the work is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

I'd certainly go for it too as it will make a big difference to your water heating costs but a few further thoughts...

Open to correction on this but as far as I know the new building regs say that all new cylinders installed have to have a minimum of 50mm factory applied spray on foam type insulation on them. Make sure he's not trying to offload a cylinder with only 25mm insulation on you.

You don't say what size your existing hot water cylinder is but have you ever considered installing solar water heating now or in the future? The cylinder cost can be a large part of the capital costs when installing solar so whether or not you decide to consider it now, it still makes sense to ensure you put in a solar compatible cylinder (with a spare coil) if you are replacing your cylinder. In fact, if you are converting your attic, it's a perfect time to consider solar too as it will be more difficult to install the panels and pipework later on...

Advertisement