Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT to roll out 'super-fast' broadband in UK

Options
  • 15-07-2008 8:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Telecoms provider BT today announced plans to roll out “super-fast” broadband to as many as 10 million homes by 2012.

The proposed £1.5bn (€1.9bn) investment in fibre-based services will deliver top speeds of up to 100 Mb/s (megabits per second) with the potential for speeds of more than 1,000 Mb/s in the future.

BT described the move as a bold step but said the investment was dependent on a “supportive and enduring” regulatory environment. It also wants to work with local and regional bodies to decide where and when it should focus the deployment of super-fast broadband.

Chief executive Ian Livingston said: “Our aim is that urban and rural areas alike will benefit from our investment.”

BT to roll out 'super-fast' broadband in UK

I'm sure Eircon won't be very far behind them, rolling out a similar service over here

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't hold your breath, eircom haven't even rolled out 8MB services in Ireland yet compared to the UK when BT Wholesale rolled it out back in 2005/2006 and you'll find all exchanges (least I've seen) are enabled for upto 8MB speeds...of course line quality makes speeds vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

.... I'm sure Eircon won't be very far behind them, rolling out a similar service over here

Thanks. That gave me a chuckle to start the day off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭dubmick

Cabaal wrote: »
    Don't hold your breath, eircom haven't even rolled out 8MB services in Ireland yet compared to the UK when BT Wholesale rolled it out back in 2005/2006 and you'll find all exchanges (least I've seen) are enabled for upto 8MB speeds...of course line quality makes speeds vary.

I think the OP was being sarcastic mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

A great example of Competition driving innovation. As Virgin Media are fibre deep and have trials and beta deployments of DOCSIS 3.0 and as LLU is common and successful, BT need to react or be left behind. In fairness to BT this is the natural progression of 21CN. Well done Ofcom in creating real competition in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

From TheInquirer:
    BT chief executive Ian Livingston said, "A supportive and enduring regulatory environment is essential if this investment is to take place. Given this, BT will be discussing with Ofcom the conditions that would be necessary to enable this programme to progress. These include removing current barriers to investment and making sure that anyone who chooses to invest in fibre can earn a fair rate of return for their shareholders."

Which basically means that BT do not want competiting companies using the newly installed pipes.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/15/bt-offers-invest-5bn-blighty

There's always a catch - no competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

From TheInquirer:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/15/bt-offers-invest-5bn-blighty

There's always a catch - no competition.

I think you will find that Europe will insist on competition (ala Deutsche Telecom) - it will be more the case that they will be allowed make a guaranteed rate of return on the investment and other similar remedies.

Also Europe has mandated last week that future NGN environments will have a technology neutral approach to the last mile so it does not matter if it's fibre, coper, wireless etc.....

Ofcom themselves have said competition is important http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2008/07/nr_20080715

Advertisement