Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC connection Dropping and reconnect then Dropping

Options
  • 15-07-2008 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭

Ok finally have the UPC BB and was working on it last night

Then it kept on connecting then disconnection continously about 9pm . Rang UPC and after 20 minute wait on phone they told me no reports in the area(living near Coolock)

They told me to reboot router did same problem then told me it maybe fautly router. I said ok can you replace it and they said no its up to Netgear as thats who my warrenty is with?

Anyone have this problem last night and could it be a faulty router ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

It's not a faulty router. Is the UPC supplied modem (blue / black one) resetting or the router. I bet it's a network fault, presenting itself as a reboot. UPC customer contempt will get you off the phone saying "You need X replaced" and then the issue sorts itself out. It worries me when a company will lie to customers so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

paulm17781 wrote: »
    It's not a faulty router. Is the UPC supplied modem (blue / black one) resetting or the router. I bet it's a network fault, presenting itself as a reboot. UPC customer contempt will get you off the phone saying "You need X replaced" and then the issue sorts itself out. It worries me when a company will lie to customers so much.

Working downstairs and modem/ router upstairs how do I know if the modem is resetting itself as a reboot

Yep think they tried to fob me off.Told me that there was upgrades going on and that it maybe this. I said that its 9.30pm and that that no updates on lines done on the network at this time. They are upgrading just outside the estate. They said it, line drops, normally happens during the day thats no help to me

Well read all about their customer service and now I am experiencing it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

This is A UPC fault Defo, I live in dublin 9 and so does my sister, a few blocks away, we both have the same problem as you...

Ive been talking to them for 6 months about this, intermittent connection problem, Im connected directly to my modem, the blue one...

When I rang UPC and told them, first time they ran a check and saw no problem, 2nd time I managed to get thru while the connection was down, and presto, they found a problem, lots of line noise. They sent out an engineer, and I was lucky enough to be at home that day.. He found some noise but said there was nothing he could do but send the network guys out to replace the outside line, which I found out never happened...

it seems their policy is to say that you have the problem in isolation, Ive been going around to my neighbours asking them to ring in and report the problem, but I suspect that its either Dublin wide or area wide...

Dont hold your breath.....

Keep at them, demand compensation etc.

Irish gunner, your modem has a bunch of lights on the front. When it's working most of these will be lit up and a couple of them flash as it is doing things. If you notice the lights not how they should be, you know there is a problem. It could be the modem but is most likely not. You can normally be fairly certain it isn't as it is generally trying to connect but can't, due to a network fault. UPC seem to have a policy of denying that it is their network. Shame, as lying to customers annoys them, especially if they take a day off for an unnecessary call out to be told it is a network fault.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The netgear router is pure ****e, Get rid of it and your problems should be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

It has been working ok since I got it installed on Sat just last night

Was working ok and then kept on dropping

Dont worry I will annoy them even if I have to go their office as was in the middle of downloading file and it cut out:mad:

will see if the same problem is going on tonight but going to ring them again today and get them to check any network faults

So thats another 20 minute wait on the phone:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Keep at them, demand compensation etc.
    QUOTE]

compensation :-) what a joke, they told me I would be eligable but they couldnt pay out until the issue was resolved, So I said resolve it! They said that they would have to send another guy out to check it, So I said forget it, I cant take another day off work for nothing....

Which I think suited them perfectly, hopefully my neighbours will have rung in, but most of them said they couldnt wait on hold that long, which is understandable...

But Im gonna let it pass for a while, Im quite happy with the speed increases, so Im going to give them a break, its never down for more than 15min at a time..

I have gotten compensation everytime I have had an issue. I expect it too as I'm not going to pay when I don't get service. They've given me the "Once the fault is fixed" line too but when it is fixed I have gotten it.

Advertisement