Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Firms Association calls for cut in minimum wage

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

The other little nugget undermining the SFA's argument is the poor quality of SME management. FÁS's commentary on the management skills notes that compared to other countries, human resources and general management of Ireland's SME's is graded 'poor' and 'sub-standard' respectively.

So if the SFA really wants to stop the rot, they should be taking on the top - instead of cutting the wages of Ireland's poor, they could become more efficient and productive if they went back to school to learn better management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

sovtek wrote: »
    Actually I saw a stat a few months back showing how foreign workers were better educated than the Irish.

Depends. A lot of the students coming to Ireland on student visas are doing substandard courses that in reality wouldn't get them far on the jobs front TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

stepbar wrote: »
    Depends. A lot of the students coming to Ireland on student visas are doing substandard courses that in reality wouldn't get them far on the jobs front TBH.

I'm not familiar with the quality of college courses in Ireland. They don't have a reputation for being substandard as far as I know.
    Most immigrants have a degree when they land here though.

DadaKopf wrote: »
    The other little nugget undermining the SFA's argument is the poor quality of SME management. FÁS's commentary on the management skills notes that compared to other countries, human resources and general management of Ireland's SME's is graded 'poor' and 'sub-standard' respectively.

So if the SFA really wants to stop the rot, they should be taking on the top - instead of cutting the wages of Ireland's poor, they could become more efficient and productive if they went back to school to learn better management.

That's interesting to hear. I've always thought that being that I've mainly worked for small businesses in Ireland since I've been living here. The business seems to be run by the bottom and the top don't have a clue what they're doing, but treat you like they are doing you a favor by just giving you a job. Do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

sovtek wrote: »
    That's interesting to hear. I've always thought that being that I've mainly worked for small businesses in Ireland since I've been living here. The business seems to be run by the bottom and the top don't have a clue what they're doing, but treat you like they are doing you a favor by just giving you a job. Do you have a link?

Is the problem with the "Top" to do with family businesses where relatives are employed to run the operation. I've seen a lot of that in Ireland where family members are taken on despite the fact that they're not qualified to do the job, then pretty much leave the running of the business to the staff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Is the problem with the "Top" to do with family businesses where relatives are employed to run the operation. I've seen a lot of that in Ireland where family members are taken on despite the fact that they're not qualified to do the job, then pretty much leave the running of the business to the staff.
    I'd share these experiences. I mean, people should be able to run businesses whatever way they want, but there are basic standards of decency and solidarity that should always apply when it comes to employment. If entrepreneurs are supposed to be 'leaders', then they should lead by example.

ejmaztec wrote: »

I've worked in a situation like that although I have to admit that they treated us pretty well.
    The worst example was where the MD just had a "good ol' boy" network of people at the top, usually of mediocre competance and a huge sense of entitlement. The people that actually ran the business got treated pretty poorly. He would spend loads on things (like computers/software) but never on people (except the ones in the inner circle).

Advertisement