Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car colour - popularity on resale

Options
  • 15-07-2008 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Well I've just taken the plunge and bought a new Audi A3 2.0L TDI Sport Quattro (170 bhp).

So I have narrowed the colour choice down to either "Aruba Blue" or "Condor Grey", seeing as how the new-generation A3 no longer offers "Dolphin grey" as an option :(

I want to sell this car on in 3 years time and I'm wondering about the popularity of car colours. Will it be easier to sell the blue or grey car? According to Wikipedia and MotorQuote Blue is very popular amongst used car buyers but I would have thought grey would be popular too (very safe colour).

Any advice or suggestions?

/not your typical Motors thread but this is our first new car so colour considerations never came into my choice before when buying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

People used to say that Black was the best colour for resale, I like Blue in a car myself.

I do like white on the A3, especially an up spec'ed version such as the one your getting, but its a risk resale wise. Thankfully the fad of buying yellow A3's seems to have died out, those cars must be impossible to shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Get the colour you prefer and stop obsessing about resale - I doubt there will be any difference.

If you were thinking of one in hear-aid beige or Barbie-pink there might be cause for concern...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭recycle

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Well I've just taken the plunge and bought a new Audi A3 2.0L TDI Sport Quattro (170 bhp).

So I have narrowed the colour choice down to either "Aruba Blue" or "Condor Grey", seeing as how the new-generation A3 no longer offers "Dolphin grey" as an option :(

I want to sell this car on in 3 years time and I'm wondering about the popularity of car colours. Will it be easier to sell the blue or grey car? According to Wikipedia and MotorQuote Blue is very popular amongst used car buyers but I would have thought grey would be popular too (very safe colour).

/not your typical Motors thread but this is our first new car so colour considerations never came into my choice before when buying.

I think its a bit sad to be so concerned about colur and resale value. If your that way inclined surely you shouldnt be buying a brand new car in the first place.

Having said that, i would say that any colur in an A3 wud look very good. Nice jammer them. Best of luck whichever colur you choose.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i would never ever buy a black car, my GF bought black brand new in 2004 and it has been a pig to keep clean. it shows everything, from the smallest hairline scrape to a speck of dirt you picked up on the way back from the car wash!

unless i could invest the time into washing and polishing a black car every weekend rain wind or snow ie. have a garage, then i wouldnt buy one imo.

for some reason silver has to be up there at the top for resale value, but also charcoal grey is very populat at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Black is the worst colour to keep the paintwork looking good.... It shows up scratches etc the must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Either should be fine, buy the colour you like best - its not exactly canary yellow your looking at now is it !

Black is defo the hardest colour to keep looking good imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Colour IS important come resale, only a fool would say otherwise. Try selling a canary yellow 3 series. You'll do it eventually, but you'll wait and have to take a lower price. Some colours come in and out of fashion but you'll never go wrong with met blues and silver/grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Aruba blue would be the one i'd go for!
    but like everyone has already said, just go with the one you like the best, they're both nice colours and neither should have a huge effect on resale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

r3nu4l wrote: »

Go with meteor grey - nicer than either of the above colours

2334581376_58159e51bc_b.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Colour choice does make a difference when it comes to resale time.

The dealer may offer help (or just try to sell you what he has in stock) but in general avoid anything garish, faddy etc.

Silver, black or red are all genreally good.

The wrong choice can rally hurt. Try selling a white Merc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thanks lads, both colours are nice alright. :) I'll probably stick with the Aruba Blue as greys and blacks are commonly used on company cars (A3's) over here.

I just want to be sure because I don't want potential future buyers of my quattro saying "Nice car but it's blue, if it was in the grey I'd buy it" :D

EDIT: @RedOrDead, I don't want Meteor Grey because that's hugely popular amongst the company car A3's over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

New A3's tend to be bought by very conservative types so you see a lot of dignified (or sombre!) but somewhat boring blacks, plain silvers, dark greys, navys etc. On the used market people would not be quite so staid. More so in the UK. A gaudy colour might work on the S3 (debatable), but not on the rest of the range. Either of your colour choices are much of a muchness, so buy what you prefer the most. Neither will effect values too much either way but blue might just have a bit more kerb appeal. While gaudy colours may knock a grand off the value& make resale difficult, anything easy on the eye but rarer will or at least give you an advantage of a potential quicker private sale. But that is for the birds at the moment. Buy what you yourself like. Not that I would ever buy an Audi but I think it always looked good in Akoya or Avus Silver or that Crystal or Liquid Blue (Ice Blue). Although a lighter shade of grey is optimum and the classiest.

RedorDead wrote: »
    Go with meteor grey - nicer than either of the above colours

Unscientific, anecdotal evidence would suggest that women HATE those dark grey colours for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ABW ftw. Or yellow, orange, etc. :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

A grey car? Are you a retired accountant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

I really, REALLY hate silver or grey cars and would NEVER buy one. Don't even get me started on white! Black would be the furthest I would push it, as those colours are all so boring. I love reds and greens or maybe a bright blue.

I really, REALLY hate silver or grey cars and would NEVER buy one

Same here. I do like some cars in white though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

lightening wrote: »
    Same here. I do like some cars in white though.

The new Fiat 500 is lovely in white, and a white Mini Cooper is nice also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think yellow could actually look great on an A3

belgard1084585a3_06D43_yellow_front.jpg

They just didn't get the shade quite right ..it needs to be LOUDER

Like this:

1106188_20080618080618_3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I agree with Red Or Dead, tbh...

Aruba blue is a very "medium blue", similar to Mauritius Blue. It's a beautiful colour, but it wouldn't be as easy to sell as a more conservative colour.
    Condor Grey is like a dark silver with a hint of green in it. I'm not sure how good it'll look on an A3.
    Meteor Grey is the closest to your original choice of Dolphin Grey (which was also a big company car colour, btw).

Aruba Blue:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A5/1.8T-170BHP/1080897/

Condor Grey:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/TT/Coupe-Leather/997612/

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    it needs to be LOUDER

Yeah, its too canary and not enough deep flame yellow. Their red is a great fire engine red.

I find with the grey and silver cars, no matter how much you polish and wax, they just look the same. This is of course personal, but look at this...

CB4_1100845_1_462176.jpg

And then this...

conlanTTGre846.jpg

Even though the angle is better on the grey one, the red one is much nicer. I think it will age a lot better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Fashion & Appearance FTW....

[/joking]

I'd go with red.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd go with the blue.

If I was getting the car myself it would be in white... yummy.

Yeah, its too canary and not enough deep flame yellow. Their red is a great fire engine red.

I find with the grey and silver cars, no matter how much you polish and wax, they just look the same. This is of course personal, but look at this...

CB4_1100845_1_462176.jpg

And then this...

conlanTTGre846.jpg

Even though the angle is better on the grey one, the red one is much nicer. I think it will age a lot better.

Nay, couldn't agree less...

Red on a TT is just WRONG! If ever a car was meant to be a silver/grey/black Teutonic hue the Audi TT is it.

When I see a red TT I think the owner is completely missing the point (IMHO)... Not that I'm against red - it really suits some cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Avoid stupid colours, like yellow, pink etc, and avoid non metallic paint at all costs.

Black is a pain to keep clean, but from a resale point of view I'd say once it has metallic paint it should be fine.

White just doesn't sell.

Anything metallic is grand, as long as the colour isn't anything mentioned above.

And well wear on the new car OP:)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Red with 18's....nice car BTW is it the facelift model.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

CB4_1100845_1_462176.jpg

Wow the colour of my A3 this TT looks even better in this red. The mother and sis have a thing about red cars. Must be a female thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Some cars look great in white. The Golf GTi. And the E92...

attachment.php?attachmentid=168682&stc=1&d=1216024002

attachment.php?attachmentid=168686&stc=1&d=1216024143

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

robbie99 wrote: »
    Some cars look great in white. The Golf GTi. And the E92...

attachment.php?attachmentid=168682&stc=1&d=1216024002

attachment.php?attachmentid=168686&stc=1&d=1216024143

:cool:

''Do you come with the car''

''Hehehehe, oh you''

• Advertisement

pburns wrote: »
    When I see a red TT I think the owner is completely missing the point

I sort of see where you are coming, German meticulous architect style design and all, I can see why the "gunmetal" type colours would suit.... each to his/her own. Maybe the reds should be kept for the alfa's and the like!
    Brabus wrote: »
    Wow the colour of my A3 this TT looks even better in this red

What?
    Brabus wrote: »
    The mother and sis have a thing about red cars. Must be a female thing...

Are you insinuating that I am a girl <SNIP> uncalled for remark removed, this isn't AH

Advertisement