Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf GTI MkIV

Options
  • 15-07-2008 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am contemplating purchasing one of these, anything from 1999-2001, 3 door model.

Anybody have anything good or bad to say about them?

I am particularly interested in this one but have to go to see it first:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/1.8T-GTI/1123612/

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Moanin wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am contemplating purchasing one of these, anything from 1999-2001, 3 door model.

Anybody have anything good or bad to say about them?

I am particularly interested in this one but have to go to see it first:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/1.8T-GTI/1123612/

Thanks

Loads of people have bad things to say about them. Certainly the Mk4 Golf was underdeveloped and suffers some faults, most usually electrical problems. The 1.4 engine is dogsh1t too.

The 1.8T engine is a great engine, good power and torque and great for overtaking. GTi doesn't hold the road that great but its good in a straight line. The main problem with this engine is the coils blow but its an easy if costly fix. I drove a chipped one that wheelspun in 2nd on a dry road. 2002 and later cars were more reliable and held the road better.

When buying check everything electrical especially central locking, elec windows and sunroof.

I had a '98 GT Tdi and sold it recently. It had 110k and went for 5.5k. So this car is not too badly priced, but the mileage is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

I have one, no problems with it, as said above has a decent bit of power, espeically compared to most cars on Irish roads, overtaking lines of cars at a time is no issue

That one that you posted has very high mileage though, so make sure it's been well looked after, full service etc etc.

If you like the leather then fair enough, but I think the VW leather is terrible.

What is your budget? I would really be lookin for something with a bit less miles if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I think Golf GTI fans would view the GTI MkIII and MkIV as the weakest of the breed for handling, driving enjoyment etc. The Mk V was a return to form.
    General reliability issues with the MkIV also, but hey, it's a VW...

It still has a big following though - nice interior fittings;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

mack1 wrote: »
    I have one, no problems with it, as said above has a decent bit of power, espeically compared to most cars on Irish roads, overtaking lines of cars at a time is no issue

That one that you posted has very high mileage though, so make sure it's been well looked after, full service etc etc.

If you like the leather then fair enough, but I think the VW leather is terrible.

What is your budget? I would really be lookin for something with a bit less miles if I was you.

I have a budget of €6.5k but have a car to trade in also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Are they the original GTi alloys that came with the Mark IV? They don't look like the ones you normally see on MK4 GTi's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement