Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right turn from Shelbourne Rd to Ennis Rd

Options
  • 15-07-2008 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭

Isn't it high time they prohibited people making this turn? In trying to turn right, cars must wait for the oncoming traffic coming out from town along the Shelbourne Rd and end up holding up cars queuing behind who want to proceed straight down to Fernbank and town. The junction is too narrow to create a right-turn filter lane, so the obvious solution is to prohibit the right turn at Union X and force people to drive straight on towards Fernbank and the city centre. Anyway, I can't understand how this 'right-turn' traffic didn't already turn off down at Hassetts X.

Anyone agree? Or is there something I'm missing that someone else can point out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

If I ever need to trun right onto Ennis rd. I either take a right further down and cut through Farranshone. Alternatively, go straight at Union cross and take a right at next junction and get onto Ennis rd. further up.
    I see no traffic planning solution. However, if cars turning right drove into the box and kept to right others could pass on inside to go straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

if cars turning right drove into the box and kept to right others could pass on inside to go straight.

Fine, if:
    • only one car is looking to make that turn
    • the car is not a large vehicle
    • the driver is considerate in their road positioning
    Otherwise, you are going nowhere and have to wait for another sequence of lights.

Glad to hear you push further on (Ardscoil Ris?) by the way to get on to the Ennis road. Wouldn't be an issue at all if others were good enough to follow your example as that subsequent junction does not have lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Tis a bit of a mad junction there al right, plenty of accidents there.

People get so mad there waiting for the car in front to turn right so mad that when the car finally turns right the lights go red and 4 or 5 cars behind go thru a red light. Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

A right turn ban is a bit extreme considering that it's clear to turn a lot of the time. The junction is too tight to put a roundabout there and to be honest the most annoying thing for me is the uneven surface going straight through towards the Condell Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

u know i passed that exact route this morn at 11am i said all of the above things whilst waiting for a car to turn right,i think 2 cars went thru the lights,surely like ye said they can make it a no right turn there,try to get the traffic flowing again in the summer months at least!people will eventually use hassets cross or the other ways mentioned to get to there destinations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

Its about time someone raised this issue, it boils my blood waiting all the time, and the lights change so fast your lucky to get out at all if someone is turning right.

They should force people to drive straight on to the roundabout at fernbank and come back up the hill longside ardscoil ris and then take a left. Its extreme but traffic would be much smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

cronin_j wrote: »
    They should force people to drive straight on to the roundabout at fernbank and come back up the hill longside ardscoil ris and then take a left.

This would be a solution but I think one of the reasons why this hasn't been done is that they are not keen on getting traffic to pass schools, esp one where there are primary kids.

Another reason I suspect that this problem persists on the Shelbourne Rd is that (completely cynical here I know) there is a reluctance to send traffic along through affluent suburbs on the NCR. Councillors tend not to make trouble for the well-off!

Advertisement