Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now that there's a use for a bigger HDD...

• 15-07-2008 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

will anyone be upgrading?

For me the 20 gig HDD has been sufficient. But with the announcement of game installations, I will definitely need something bigger.

So, the question is, which way to go?

A) Buy a 60gb or 120gb HDD for something like €80 or €120?

B) Trade in my old premium with gamestop for €150 and get an Elite for €210 - which would get my a 120gb HDD, HDMI, quieter operation etc. But I suppose I'll be faced with the transferring content issues other people have had I suppose.

Any opinions? Anyone else planning anything similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'll get a bigger HD eventuality. Going to wait until they drop the price. I figure they'll have to with a greater demand for larger drives. Although I don't think I'll need a huge one soon – I tend to play only a few games at any one time – so can delete other games images and reinstall when needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

I got an elite a while back, but I dont think ill really bother with this feature, for most games anyway, you still need the disc in the drive, so the only gain is better loading times. I find for most games loading times are quite bearable, I actualy wonder how much of a gain it will give anyway, pc games have had the hard drive advantage for years but many are still dog slow to load.

My advice, stall the ball and wait, the install feature could just be a useless gimmick that provides no real benifit. Hard drives arent going to become more expensive either.

I hope however this isnt opening the flood gates for developers to make install games that take 20 minutes to get setup before you can actualy play and that punish people who have a large collection and just want to pick up and play a random game instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

If you run the game from the HD then the 360 will be way quieter while you play. That in itself it worth using the feature for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Game installations?? WHAT? Im presuming its like on the pc where you will install it but still need the disc to play it, but there will be small loading etc. IS this right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Game installations?? WHAT? Im presuming its like on the pc where you will install it but still need the disc to play it, but there will be small loading etc. IS this right?

Yeah, you'll need to have the disc in the drive to verify you own the game.

And there will have to be some load times. But should be reduced.

But as ageary08 pointed out, we've no idea how effective this will be and how slashed load times will be.

If they get rid of the ridiculous elevator load scenes in Mass Effect I'm all ears :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I thought this was exclusive to the 60GB 360?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Dman001 wrote: »

Any links to that? Would be a kick in the nads for all of us current owners if that was the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

have they opened up the harddrive compatibility? bit of a pain in the rocks not letting people buy generic drives ala sony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

That's it in one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Nice - lookinb forward to the meeting up on the dash before games thing, sounds good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

Skittle wrote: »
    If you run the game from the HD then the 360 will be way quieter while you play. That in itself it worth using the feature for.

I did think of that, and its a fair point, fortunatly, after 2 replacements my elites picked up a quieter dvd drive along the way, its still noticable, but cranking up the speakers its no problem, except for late night gaming sessions when I have to keep it down.

No way. There's be war if that happened. It's part of the generic Autumn update. They'd have said it clearly by now if it wasn't universal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

This seems to be part of the Fall Update for everyone - the reason they're bringing out a 60GB version is most likely to cope with the extra demands that this will place on the Hard Drive for storage space, etc.

The poor aul' 20GB drive will get full in a hurry, but will still be able to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

i think a trade in for an elite.. i dont play oblivion much anymore but the roaming element of the game would be so much better if load times were reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Just a quick question, don't really want to create a new thread but...

If I upgrade to an elite (currently pro) how to I go about transfering my games saves and Arcade games or anything else I may have downloaded onto the new HD?

And if I was to trade in my pro I would assume I would have to give over my 20GB HD too so I won't have it to transfer my files onto the bigger HD. Is there a way to place the files on an external HD then when I get the eilte put them onto that?

rizzla wrote: »
    Just a quick question, don't really want to create a new thread but...

If I upgrade to an elite (currently pro) how to I go about transfering my games saves and Arcade games or anything else I may have downloaded onto the new HD?

And if I was to trade in my pro I would assume I would have to give over my 20GB HD too so I won't have it to transfer my files onto the bigger HD. Is there a way to place the files on an external HD then when I get the eilte put them onto that?

Gamestop told me that if I traded in they'd use a special cable to transfer all my content from my old 20 gig HD to the new 120 gig HDD in the Elite.

As detailed here: http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/support/systemuse/xbox360/console/datamigration.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mickyt

quad_red wrote: »
    Gamestop told me that if I traded in they'd use a special cable to transfer all my content from my old 20 gig HD to the new 120 gig HDD in the Elite.

As detailed here: http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/support/systemuse/xbox360/console/datamigration.htm

Think I will do that so.

I just emailed a guy that works in the Henry Street one and hoping to get something at the end of the month, Hard drive is filling up a bit.

But didn't I hear you can only do this once? I.e. If Xbox release something new in the future, I won't be able to transfer info then aswell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I would be upgrading if I didn't need the DVD anymore. But installing the game to the HDD AND having to put in the DVD everytime doesn't appeal to me. My brain ignores the noise of the system after a minute or two so the quiteness options doesn't bother me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I would be upgrading if I didn't need the DVD anymore. But installing the game to the HDD AND having to put in the DVD everytime doesn't appeal to me. My brain ignores the noise of the system after a minute or two so the quiteness options doesn't bother me.

PC Games have done that for years, games need to be in the tray for the console to verify that you own the disc, otherwise you could naturly share the disc between a few persons and get away with it ;), I would think games would also only partly install to the drive at stages like the ps3 does, as a 9 gig install per game would quickly fill up those tiny hard drives :D

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

It also supposedly reduces load times, which would be handy in oblivion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

quad_red wrote: »

If they get rid of the ridiculous elevator load scenes in Mass Effect I'm all ears :)

Oh yeah, that'd be sweet, those elevators are so annoying!

Advertisement