Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remote Power Up of Computer

• 15-07-2008 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭

Lads, just wondering about this one, going away for a year or so and will have my comp plugged in at home and might need to log into it the odd time to get stuff off it. don't really want to leave it on for the year and kill the folks eleccy bill. I was wondering was there a way of turning the system on remotely like the PSP does with the PS3?

Thanks
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭tech

if you had VPN access and a HP low end server like a ML 115 with a RIP card you could power it up over the VPN!

I dont know is there any other way to do this on a basic pc tough ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Check whether your computer bios supports Wake-On-Lan.
    This is where your network card is left active, listening for a special network packet which contains the network card's MAC address repeated.
    On receiving this it will ask the PC motherboard to start up.

So to activate this remotely, you would need a VPN capable router which allows the packet through, or a customised router which could send the packet.

If you go for the first approach, then there's a list of applications on the wiki for Wake-On-Lan which could be used to send the packet.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

i dont think you will be able to use wake on lan unless you have another machine turned on at all times...

wake on lan uses broadcasts and broadcasts can not be routed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

cance wrote: »
    i dont think you will be able to use wake on lan unless you have another machine turned on at all times...

wake on lan uses broadcasts and broadcasts can not be routed.

Yeah you can. You can wake on lan or wan, so all the OP will need to do is have a network card that supports WOL and forward the right ports on his router.

http://www.ezlan.net/WOL.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Re cance: Yeah, you're right. You can work around it with a cisco router though.

But I guess that's a bit over the top for a home setup and likely not to be available.

CharlesD's solution will work though. Similar to
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6790

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

ressem wrote: »
    But I guess that's a bit over the top for a home setup and likely not to be available.

I don't think it is too over the top, because it really just requires a little bit of port forwarding.

I always recommend Linksys routers, which are basically Cisco routers, but almost all routers offer the port forwarding feature :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Wake on lan is the way to go, but have you a static or dynamic IP? A static IP is easier to setup but if you have a dynamic you'll need a means to access the router if the IP changes. here's a handy guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

sure just bring your stuff on a portable hard drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

jesus mukki stop giving easy solutions, this is a windows forum! We need complicated solutions to a simple problem! hehe

Joking aside, portable drives can be a pain in the hole to carry around, although what would you need that wouldn't fit on say a 4 gig flash drive? The other side to that is having to carry around the flash drive with the fear of losing it and then having no access to your data. No harm having both. (encrypt the flash drive).

Also why bother with WOL, just call home and ask them to switch it on for ya. :)

Advertisement