Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go hard or go home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

did u have the vodka/diet drinks or the good auld guinness after?!

Weekend was a write off man :S Stuck to the vodka/diet drinks Fri night, Guinness on Sat! But hey, mates birthday so not going to worry about it.

Mon: 7.2km Run: 40m 34s

Although tonight is normally a strength night, decided I wanted some fresh air after work so went for a run. Started off at the first roundabout Castleknock side of the phoenix park and said I'd run until I felt tired.

Ended up running to St. James gate (end of the park) and turned back to run. Got a stitch at around 32 mins so had to walk for a minute or two but then continued on.

When I got to the car I was in great form and felt I could do even more! However that's the furthest I've ran and my left calf being a wee bit sore I decided not to push it.

Monday Eating

9:30 - 2 boiled eggs, slice of brown wholemeal bread + butter
    12:30 - Thai chicken curry (no cream) with broccolli + usual salad
    16:00 - Paleo bar + 2 squares of dark chocolate
    21:00 - Chicken and Spinach & Ricotta tortellini (100g)

Eatings a bit off today due to lack of preparation, make up for it tomorrow.

Tues: Metcon

10 Pullups
    10 Pressups
    5 Toes to Bar
    4 x 24kg KB Snatch

5 sets: 17m 30s

Hill Sprints (80-90m)

8 Sprints each between 26-30 secs

Tuesday Food

09:30 - Protein Shake & Pear
    12:30 - Lamb Rogan Josh (No cream/coconut milk) with salad (desert spoon of rice)
    16:30 - Paleo Bar
    21:30 - Chicken and Spinach & Ricotta tortellini (100g)

Again, diets a bit all over the shop today. Will bring lunch into work tomorrow, heading away from Friday so don't want to do a shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

That seems like very little food man? I would be starving!

StrawDub wrote: »
    That seems like very little food man? I would be starving!

Aye it's a bit woeful alright. Being realistic it's not going to be the best until I get back from Wales!

Wed: Tui Na (Physio): 1 hour

Bjj with Gi: 1h 30m

Wednesday Eating
    09:30 - Protein shake
    11:00 - An Orange
    12:30 - Bagel with smoked salmon, cucumber & tomato
    16:00 - Paleo Bar
    19:40 - Chicken sandwich
    22:00 - Chicekn sandwich

... Ahem. I'm aware the masss amount of bread. Went straight from work to Tui Na, needed to grab food quick before going back out training to BJJ, to wrecked afterwards to make something decent.

I'm going Paleo on Tuesday after my break away.

Tui Na was good, my left knee's pretty banged up at the moment as are my shins, so just working on them.

BJJ was good, working on escape from submissions today and then we rolled. Unfortunately I had to get off for the last 3 rolls as my knee just wasn't able to take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭StrawDub

You should rest after Tui Na man, it takes a lot out of you. I know you don't want to miss training but forcing its a recipe for disaster as I know.

StrawDub wrote: »
    You should rest after Tui Na man, it takes a lot out of you. I know you don't want to miss training but forcing its a recipe for disaster as I know.

Ah I know you're right, but I don't like to miss my jitz :(

Well, well, well - been a while since an update here:

Went to Wales from 25th - 28th.

Friday 25th: Gym

5 Pullups
    10 Pressups
    8 x 18kg DB Swing

10 x sets in 19m 30s

Seen Pritchard from Dirty Sanchez training in there, then ended up meeting him that night. Workout was good, was all I could fit in as just arrived in the Hotel and needed to sleep before we headed out.

Rest of the days I drank a lot, ate a little and only swam a bit in the mornings, not great! Ate some bad chicken on the Sunday morning, that night my stomach was in bits and I had to take time off work, was feeling slightly better come the Thursday.

Thurs: Session with Transform

Went through a few movements and we had a chat about metcons. He introduced me to the Crossfit Cindy - I wanted to cry at the end. I just lay on the floor for about 5 minutes. Results at home, will post them later.

Fri: Bjj without Gi: 1h 30m

My strength was pretty terrible after the sick week. Couldn't even pick up an 80kg lad whereas normally that'd be no problem.

Few ground & pound rounds & others that I just cannot remember at moment, going to have to update my BJJ posts a la Hanley.

Sat: 8km run in Phoenix Park: 46m 55s

Ran from gate to gate and back today. Unfortunetly, I had to stop a good few times as still wasn't 100%. However, I did do the 8km and I'm going to just retest this every few weeks and bring the time down.

Sun: Rest Day

Was supposed to go down the park with Hanley today, but it was a no can do as my legs were in ruins after the previous 3 days training and the week I had.

Fortnightly Weigh in

02 Jan: 95.7kg / 15st 01lb
    15 Jan: 93.8kg / 14st 10lb
    05 Mar: 92.2kg / 14st 6lb

No idea why I stopped filling this out but I will now be weighing in every saturday.

Mon: Morning Session - 2 x 1km sprints

1st km: 4m 43s
    2nd km: 5m 07s

I was going to do 3, but it was far too cold. Also decided I'll need to slightly ease into these two a days if I'm going to want to be able to maintain them.

Evening Session

(A) SLDL
    5 x 8 x 12kg

(A) Pallof Press
    5 x 10

(A) Barbell Press
    5 x 5 x 40kg

(B) Walking Lunges
    5 x 8 x 12kg (each leg)

(B) Lat Pull down
    1 x 8 x 45kg
    3 x 8 x 55kg

(C) Turkish Get Ups
    3 x 3 x 18kg

(C) Reverse Ab Curls
    3 x 15

(C) Towel Grip Chins
    3 x 5

Tues:

Morning 3.3km Run: 15m 33s (Best 15m 10s)

Evening Tui Na: 1 hour

Morning run was coooold today, wasn't the most enjoyable thing in the world but glad I got out!

Had a very physical hour of Tui na tonight (physio, acupuncture + chinese cupping). Had three people working on me and so decided that I'd just rest after it.

Pancake Tuesday
    09:30 - Protein Shake, 40g Flanhavans hi-8 with water, 1 poached egg
    12:30 - Chicken, lettuce, tomato, olive oil
    15:00 - Protein Shake
    20:00 - Chicken, Smoked Salmon & Brocolli with some tomato pesto
    22:00 - Diet Orange + 2 squares of 85% dark chocolate

• Advertisement

Wed:

Morning Session:

20 Pullups + 40 Squats
    15 Pullups + 30 Squats
    10 Pullups + 20 Squats
    5 Pullups + 10 Squats

Time: 8m 43s

Was doing the pullups in the house so kipping wasn't really an option unfortunately.

Evening Session - BJJ: 1h 30m

Worked on escaping from side control:

- Frame with forearms into stomach & neck, bridge & push out leaving one leg close to opps body, spin into guard.
    - Frame with forearms into stomach & neck, opp flattens out, trap leg using stomach arm & roll over.

Worked on an arm bar from side control:

- One arm wrapped around opps head + arm. Bring head arm over onto neck & hold both on opps bicep. Hand on neck, spin over opps head into arm bar.

Got a few rolls in tonight too.

For the record, my descriptions may be lousy but I know what they mean :)

Thurs 3.3km easy Run

Time: 17m 43s

Legs have been quite sore so said I'd take today as an 'off' day. The run was just to try and loosen my legs out.

Friday BJJ: 1h 30m

Mon Sprints:

8 Hill sprints - Never brought a watch so no idea of time, 6th sprint was a bit wimpy I'll be honest...

Tonight should've been a weight session, slightly sprained finger in BJJ Friday, starting SBG tomorrow night so wanted to be 100%.

3 hours to look forward to tonight, still not over the aul Paleo lack of energy hump so this is going to be tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

good job on the diet front and stick to it with the lower carb intake and just bang in plenty of good fats from butter, coconut oil, coconut milk, some nuts and get your carbs from sweet potato, butter nut squash, veg and a small amount of fruit.

Stay off the bread, pasta, rice etc and eat more carbs post workout i.e. sweet potato, butternut squash etc as you will need them then.

Dark choc is your friend also - 70-80%+

Transform wrote: »
    good job on the diet front and stick to it with the lower carb intake and just bang in plenty of good fats from butter, coconut oil, coconut milk, some nuts and get your carbs from sweet potato, butter nut squash, veg and a small amount of fruit.

Stay off the bread, pasta, rice etc and eat more carbs post workout i.e. sweet potato, butternut squash etc as you will need them then.

Dark choc is your friend also - 70-80%+

Cheers man, it's going really well, putting the effort into diet this time.

Weighed in at 89.7kg last night and that was after a days eating (I'd just been in a restaurant an hour before, big kick ass steak and carrots :D)

I'm aiming to be at the 86.5kg when I rock down to you in just over 2 weeks time!

Tues BJJ in SBG: 2h 30m

Well I rocked up to join the elite in SBG, great class with John Kavanagh. Rolls were good and I'm looking forward to doing some different work up there (Muay thai, boxing etc)

Wed BJJ in CBJJ: 1h 30m

Tough class tonight. Went over the arm bar that my coach Luke Corcoran won the fight with in Cage Contender on Saturday. Good few rolls with the lads.

Thurs Strength Session

(A) Deadlift
    5 x 60kg
    5 x 80kg
    5 x 100kg
    5 x 110kg

(A) Plank Holds
    4 x 45secs Front + sides

(B) Front Rack Split Squats
    3 x 5 x 22kg

(B) Toes to bar
    3 x 5

(B) Dumbell Rows
    3 x 8 x 20kg

Short & sweet session yesterday it being the day of St. Patrick & me starting to get tired from the aul training sessions. Plus I was starving :pac:

Fri BJJ in Coolmine: 1h 30m

3rd time rolling tonight, really felt the benefit of more regular training in terms of technique.

Looking forward to 4x next week!

Weigh In:

12 Mar: 90kg / 14st 2lb
    19 Mar: 88.7kg / 13st 13lb

Thurs SBG

BJJ: 30 mins
    Stand & Clinch: 50 mins

Arrived late, couldn't find the place so I was raging :P

Had hurt my back after Thurs + Fri, no idea what happened. It meant I had to rest my back for 6 days, which was quite frustrating. Stayed pretty much on top of the diet though, roll on weigh-in tomorrow!

My aim is to be 86kg by the 2nd of April.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Naos wrote: »
    Thurs SBG

BJJ: 30 mins
    Stand & Clinch: 50 mins

Arrived late, couldn't find the place so I was raging :P

Had hurt my back after Thurs + Fri, no idea what happened. It meant I had to rest my back for 6 days, which was quite frustrating. Stayed pretty much on top of the diet though, roll on weigh-in tomorrow!

My aim is to be 86kg by the 2nd of April.

Are you doing the IP nogi comp on 9/4??

Hanley wrote: »
    Are you doing the IP nogi comp on 9/4??

Yep! Aim to fight in the 85.3kg category.

Yourself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Naos wrote: »
    Yep! Aim to fight in the 85.3kg category.

Yourself?

Sweeeeet!! What cat. you entering? Novice or Inters?

I'm doing it alright. Will be < 91.5kg. I think Barry might have said he's using ibjjf no-gi official weight class so you only need to get to < 85kg if that's the case!

Hanley wrote: »
    Sweeeeet!! What cat. you entering? Novice or Inters?

I'm doing it alright. Will be < 91.5kg. I think Barry might have said he's using ibjjf no-gi official weight class so you only need to get to < 85kg if that's the case!

Be entering Novice, only doing Bjj since Jan (broke my arm in the second class when I was doing it in July :eek:)

< 85kg, fack! I thought it was 85.3kg - cheers!

Fri CBJJ: 30 mins

Sat Metcon - Crossfit Cindyesque

1 set = 5 pullups, 10 pressups, 15 squats

Round 1: 3 Rounds, 10 Pressups
    Round 2: 3 Round, 3 Pullups
    Round 3: 2 rounds, 5 squats

Rounds were 3 mins each, 2 min rest in between.

Weigh In:

12 Mar: 90kg / 14st 2lb
    19 Mar: 88.7kg / 13st 13lb
    26 Mar: 87.3kg / 13st 10.5lb

Right, I went down to the usual weighing scales and it said I was 86.8kg - I don't believe that. Went back to the folks place and tried the scales and it said I was 87.3kg.

I then tested that by getting back on with a weight (1.3kg) and I went up to 88.6kg so it's accurate.

So I did what any son would do, I borrowed the weighing scales and will return it in two weeks :D

Sun: Day off

Mon: 6km Run

Done this in 40mins, previous best was 36m 20s

However still very happy with it, was doing sprints during this, felt easier running up hills etc. Even though it was slower, I felt much better!

Going to do this again next week and see how I get on, will push it for a sub 35min time.

Tues SBG

BJJ No Gi: 1h 30m

Worked at passing the closed guard.

BJJ with Gi: 1h 30m

Defending from turtle position and then had a lot of rolls.

...My heads so fried right now I cannot even think what we did to be honest.

Wed Run: 10.8km: 55 minutes

I was running with a lad who does marathons. Total running time was 1h 05mins but I needed to stop a couple of times as I was shattered. Chap barley broke a sweat, great to see as I'd never ran with someone who can run before.

ONE HOUR REST

BJJ in Coolmine - GI: 1h 30m

Good class tonight, went through some takedown defenses and had a lot of rolls...

I'm going to sleep now.

• Advertisement

Thurs: Rest Day

Fri: BJJ in Coolmine: 90mins

Lot of rolling done tonight... a lot. Probably my toughest session there since I started.

Sat: Training session with Transform

In short: I need to work on my forefoot running!

Sun: Rest Day

Mon: Physio

Advertisement