Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Operating system transfer to new hard drive

• 15-07-2008 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

I have a new 500gig HD to put in my system, I was wondering does anyone know a good way to 'ghost' my old operating system(and everything else) from my old hard drive into the new one?

(using Vista btw)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

There are some commercial solutions that do this very well. They're handy for backup as well as migration. I'd recommend Acronis True Image but Norton Ghost is a very decent offering as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

i too recommend acronis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

will be doing this myself soon, i've been trying to minimize the size of c: by uninstalling and deleting and will probably get it down to 60 gig, would ghost be able to handle that or is it still too big

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Cheers lads, will lets yous know how it went with Acronis.

(Once i source a SATA cable:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

I have had success with this free utility

http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Ghost on a BART PE bootable disc (available via that download method that is not allowed to be mentioned on these forums ;);)) does a good job. There are at least 2 other imaging utilities on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

got ghost 12, seems to be very good, am all backed up and prepared for disaster or new ssd drive :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Well, Acronis did the job for me...but I did'nt know I had purchased a pepper grinder for a hard drive , so it's not going to be my main HD at all

In fact I'll probably RMA it because it lets out a 'click' on power-up (after being idle), which is not very reassuring :(
    (looks suspiciously at his 'back-up')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

used G4L recently to clone a disk, but it created a partition the size of the original disk and not for the full disk. But I think you can then go into Fdisk and resize the partition. only took about 10 minutes to clode a 40 GB disk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

humaxf1 wrote: »
    Ghost on a BART PE bootable disc (available via that download method that is not allowed to be mentioned on these forums ;);)) does a good job. There are at least 2 other imaging utilities on it.

if you ever use this method DONT be tempted to delete the pagefile and hiberfile to save time ghosting

bart pe ntfs access is not brilliant, lets just say it was chkdsk city on either of the drives when i tried to boot them

• Advertisement
Advertisement