Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eto'o signs for....sorry, WHAT?

• 15-07-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭

Why would they say this, seems an odd one...

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/14/La-Liga-Etoo-to-Uzbekistan/
    Whilst the increasing likelihood of Ronaldinho going to Manchester City continues to raise plenty of eyebrows, Uzbekistan side Kuruvchi’s claim that they have signed the Barcelona forward’s team-mate Samuel Eto’o appears to have taken the meaning of the transfer silly season to a new level.

Eto’o, much like Ronaldinho, is surplus to requirements at the Camp Nou and has thus far been linked with moves to the likes of Tottenham and Milan.

However, it appears that a new, unexpected suitor has now arrived on the scene.

"Eto'o will arrive in Tashkent on Thursday and he will sign a contract with our club, at least up until the end of 2008," said Kuruvchi sporting director Bahtier Babayev.

"The term of the contract will depend on our performance in the AFC Champions League. We will play Saipa in the quarter-finals and Eto'o is our main purchase before the knockout stage of the tournament.

"If we can agree with the player, he will continue to play for our club in the future.

"The defining moment of the transfer was not money, but the friendly mutual relations between the management of our club and Barcelona. The personal friendship between presidents of the clubs has noticeably lowered the transfer fee."

Whilst the rest of the football world scoured their diaries to check whether April 1 had come early, Barca moved quickly to pour scorn on the reports.

"Nobody at the club knows anything about this. I don't think it's very likely," said an official spokesperson.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Saw it earlier today, had to check to see if it was April 1st.
    It truely is the silly season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Barca laughed this off supposedly when quizzed on it

Mr Alan wrote: »

Source or it didnt happen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Probably just an attempt to raise the profile of the club. It'll only turn them into the laughing stock though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,444 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Alan wrote: »
    IrishMike wrote: »
    Source or it didnt happen :D
    Whilst the rest of the football world scoured their diaries to check whether April 1 had come early, Barca moved quickly to pour scorn on the reports.

"Nobody at the club knows anything about this. I don't think it's very likely," said an official spokesperson.

So bloody lazy... didn't even read the article!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

could actually be a good move signing til the end of 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Haha yes i read that news yesterday,Barca said its nonsence,but this other guys saying they are serious:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Surely this discussion should be on the Kuruvchi Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours super thread?

Seriously though, what it the deal with Eto'o? Why are none of the big clubs interested in him?

Eeekkk, heard the news earlier today so admit that i didnt read the article.
    Apologies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Wreck wrote: »
    Seriously though, what it the deal with Eto'o? Why are none of the big clubs interested in him?

dodgy knees, high wages, inflated ego, disruptive influence. take your pick. the general feeling emanating from Barca seems to be that he's already past his best, and that whoever is buying is taking a bit of a gamble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If he does sign, then I'm getting him on my Kuruvchi jersey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

dodgy knees, high wages, inflated ego, disruptive influence. take your pick. the general feeling emanating from Barca seems to be that he's already past his best, and that whoever is buying is taking a bit of a gamble.

Its mostly just the high wages... Eto'o past his best? 27 years old, has scored 71 goals in 100 games for Barca... 16 goals this year in 18 matches, a season where he was injured and went to the ACN... He also broke the record for the all time leading goal scorer in the ACN this season... Eto'o is definitely past his best and is a laughing stock at this stage I suppose...

The reason clubs aren't interested in him is because his wages are astronomically high... He will need at least 150,000 grand a week and most clubs cant afford to pay those kinds of wages.. I still think he is in the top 3 strikers in the world at the moment. And next year he'll prove all the doubters wrong.. You can quote me on that.

In an interview for 'Problemes Domèstics'de Catalunya Ràdio', laporta confirmed the 30 million euro offer for ronaldinho and said he has received no good offers for Eto'o. In this interview, laporta confirmed that Eto'o will be staying and expressed his desire to recover the best of Eto'o. Guardiola, in his day, also said that, should any of the players stay, he'll do all humanly possible to recover the lost touch.

I went to the russian version of kuruvchi site, where was written that Eto'o has been granted an Uzbek visa and I found this
    etokamerunpassvord2uc1.jpg

They want Eto, as well as Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol

http://www.pfc-kuruvchi.com/eng/news_details.asp?newsID=601

Well it was good while it lasted... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

*hurries to put this update in Football Manager*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Sometimes good players go to poor clubs.

I'm still wondering exactly what 'Boro had on Juninho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

GuanYin wrote: »
    I'm still wondering exactly what 'Boro had on Juninho.

they were paying ridiculous wages back then. I have vague memories of reporters saying Ravanelli back then earned higher than Man Utds biggest earner.

I just saw photos of Eto'o ariving on Tashkent airport:eek:

It seems these guys are serious:eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pretty sure he and Alen Boksic were on 60,000 at the time.

Eto'o will sign tommorow 3 or 6 month contract for 40mil!!!!!
    I think this is the weirdest transfer ever:D
    And where the hell that money come from to these Uzbekistan guys....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Advertisement

Yeah,we are all shocked,but this shows that theres no club one player wouldnt accept to play for when it comes about money he will get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Hmmm, looking through there website it seems they have a deal in place with Barcalona where prospective managers will go to Uzbekistan to learn the ropes.

Someone mentioned Iniesta etc earlier, it looks like they are going to Uzbekistan in order to do some training sessions with players "a masterclass" they are calling it.

This could be a real possibility then as some sort of goodwill gesture from Barca to their new feeder club?

Bizzare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

XD

Haha,what a good joke at the end,i still dont get the point....except that this was good marketing move to raise price on market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o has confirmed an interest in him from Uzbek club Kuruvuchi, even admitting that it is part of the reason he is in the country.
    Reports suggested that the Cameroonian had flown to Uzbekistan to put pen to paper on a contract with PFC Kuruvchi, a local squad, and would represent them in the Asian Champions League.

Eto'o, however has denied having already agreed terms with Kuruvchi.

"There was an interest in me from Kuruvchi," he said in Tashkent.

"That is one of the reasons I am here, to meet the people of this country and to see all the interesting things here.

"I want to clarify something. There are clubs interested in me, and I want to choose what is best for me.

"I shall return to Spain and there I will confirm my final decision.

"I have not yet made a decision on where I will play next season," he added.

"On Saturday, I start training with my team. If I decide to change clubs, it will have to be in the interest of my career."

I just can't get me head around all this.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I just can't get me head around all this.:(

Money / Arragance

Eto'o is being poorly advised if he does end up signing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dave! wrote: »
    Gotta love the pigeon English on that site. :D
    Today morning on Tashkent time at 6:30 a.m. with flight Paris-Tashkent arrived to capital city of Tashkent of Uzbekistan 27-year oldie Cameroonian forward and also from Catalonian Barcelona Samuel Eto’O and together with him arrived to Tashkent representatives of Barcelona.

Ridiculous decision IF he does decide to go. And shows that it's the Uzbekistani som that he's in the game for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Gotta love the pigeon English on that site. :D

Ridiculous decision IF he does decide to go. And shows that it's the Uzbekistani som that he's in the game for.

got to love the pidgin english on this one too

anyway

if it isn't all nonsense the uzbeks must have a lot of suplus cash floating about.

growler wrote: »
    got to love the pidgin english on this one too
    Why?

"Pigeon" is the correct spelling. And I was referring to Uzbekistani currency which is the "Uzbekistani som"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He's really a fantastic striker, and would be a good signing for pretty much any club. His wages and his entourage though are too much imo, not worth the hassle. Still, he's some striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BaZmO* wrote: »
    "Pigeon" is the correct spelling.

Wrong.

Pidgin.

As far as I know, urban birds can't speak.

Des wrote: »
    Wrong.

Pidgin.
    Oh ok, didn't know that. Ya learn a new thing every day.

Des wrote: »
    As far as I know, urban birds can't speak.
    Oh they do, some of the birds around my way never stfu!!

Advertisement