Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Eircom line debacle

Options
  • 15-07-2008 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

I recently ordered a BT talk and bb package. Grand. Except it doesn't work. No dial tone has ever been detected in my apartment. BT have done online checks and say all is fine regarding the line. Eircom too. I have had a retired Eircom technician test the line and dialogue box independently. His verdict was that it was the responsibility of the service provider to get a functioning phone line into your apartment and that there was no voltage coming into the apartment.
    BT say I will be charged up to €200 if Eircom send out a man to have a look. Why should I have to pay for this? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Why are BT useless?

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

i don't envy you mate, i've just waited 130 days for eircom to activate my line. christ knows what i would've done had it not worked.

you could be in for a few months of pain on this one!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I wouldn't blame BT for this,you orginially ordered the line from Eircom and paid them to install a working line,if it never worked then it is their responsibility to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame BT for this,you orginially ordered the line from Eircom and paid them to install a working line,if it never worked then it is their responsibility to fix it.

I ordered the line from BT, who in turn order it from Eircom. Ended up cancelling the dd until it has been resolved. I don't like the sound of waiting up to 130 days to get the line activated...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I ordered the line from BT, who in turn order it from Eircom. Ended up cancelling the dd until it has been resolved. I don't like the sound of waiting up to 130 days to get the line activated...:(

ESAT asked you when you were ordering "Do you have an active functioning Eircom line" to which i assumed you replied "Yes"

Either that or you ordered it online and it also specifies this.

On their own page it says:
    Connection fee is waived for all customers who are transferring
    their Broadband service to BT and have their own modem

Other than that your have to pay the connection fee.

Would have been easier to get Eircom first then switch TBH

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you been given a telephone number - have you made a formal inquiry to Eircom about the line status.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Did yoru phoneline work with eircom before moving to BT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I ordered the line from BT, who in turn order it from Eircom.

Therein lies the problem. Never ever order a line from anyone other than the line owner (eircom). On to your problem, it is eircom's responsibility to fix the line, however, they will not deal directly with you, as you are not an eircom customer. You must log the fault with BT (which you seem to have done) and then BT log it with eircom. They don't seem to be doing this, from what I can see. It will not cost you money to get eircom out (that's why you pay line rental) unless the problem is inside your apartment, and not with the actual eircom line. BT are bulshitting you, nothing new there, and eircom may well be giving BT the runaround too. All of which leaves you in limbo.

Ask BT what is their official complaints procedure, and start one. If that goes nowhere, contact Comreg. Comreg will not get involved until you have exhausted the complaints procedure of the provider (BT).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

craichoe wrote: »
    ESAT asked you when you were ordering "Do you have an active functioning Eircom line" to which i assumed you replied "Yes"

Either that or you ordered it online and it also specifies this.

On their own page it says:

Other than that your have to pay the connection fee.

Would have been easier to get Eircom first then switch TBH

Thats wrong. From what the op is saying he ordered the line from BT. Btw you can order a new connection from bt all they do in turn is order it from eircom for you.

Keep hasslling BT until they get it fixed for you. If you ordered a new connection through them i would assume that its their resposibility to have it working but i'm not sure the ins and outs of it. Maybe when you ring BT ask for a supervisor?

If the only resolution they offer is a €200 call out fee tell them you want out of the contract at no cost to you as their not supplying the service. The best way to get a new connection would be to get activated by eircom and once you get your account number switch to whoever you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

admol wrote: »
    Thats wrong. From what the op is saying he ordered the line from BT. Btw you can order a new connection from bt all they do in turn is order it from eircom for you.

Keep hasslling BT until they get it fixed for you. If you ordered a new connection through them i would assume that its their resposibility to have it working but i'm not sure the ins and outs of it. Maybe when you ring BT ask for a supervisor?

If the only resolution they offer is a €200 call out fee tell them you want out of the contract at no cost to you as their not supplying the service. The best way to get a new connection would be to get activated by eircom and once you get your account number switch to whoever you like.

Yes i know, after you tell them your line isn't working, and its takes FOREVER.

The problem is Eircom are responsible for the line but Esat are responsible for DSL. He cannot deal with Eircom directly as he has no contract with them. Esat will take forever to sort it out.

I had the exact same problem with Smart :)

And i had the Exact same problem with Orange and KPN too !

The whole LLU process in every country sucks.

In short

Try to cancel
    Get Eircom
    Switch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I recently ordered a BT talk and bb package. Grand. Except it doesn't work. No dial tone has ever been detected in my apartment. BT have done online checks and say all is fine regarding the line. Eircom too. I have had a retired Eircom technician test the line and dialogue box independently. His verdict was that it was the responsibility of the service provider to get a functioning phone line into your apartment and that there was no voltage coming into the apartment.
    BT say I will be charged up to €200 if Eircom send out a man to have a look. Why should I have to pay for this? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Why are BT useless?

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That's a failed activation.

Ask BT to log it as such. Tell them to select the option can't locate NTU.

If you are still having issues with this send me a PM

• Advertisement

Bohrio wrote: »

I told them this and yes, you were right! Thanks a mil. Failed activation. SHould be up and running by tomorrow evening they say...then I rang them as the modem they sent never arrived...turns out they got the address mixed up with my name and Mr.Postman got all confused and sent it to Portlaoise. now they need to send it again.

Mr. Arthur McApartment 16 Wexford St.,
    Drogheda,
    Co. Louth

Sounds like someone didn't finish Postman College and blagged their way into An Post....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Bohrio wrote: »

I told them this and yes, you were right! Thanks a mil. Failed activation. SHould be up and running by tomorrow evening they say...then I rang them as the modem they sent never arrived...turns out they got the address mixed up with my name and Mr.Postman got all confused and sent it to Portlaoise. now they need to send it again.

Mr. Arthur McApartment 16 Wexford St.,
    Drogheda,
    Co. Louth

Sounds like someone didn't finish Postman College and blagged their way into An Post....

hehe

Ok then, that's good news. Tomorrow evening seems a little bit too soon though.... good luck then :)

indeed, promises promises promises...no nearer to getting a phoneline or bb connection. Coming up to a month in a few days. terrible customer service, no coordination. i think i actually hate BT:mad::eek::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

i think i actually hate BT:mad::eek::mad:

Take a ticket and get in line.

It's a long line.

Start a formal complaint and if you get nowhere in 10 days, get Comreg involved, for whatever good that will do.

Advertisement