Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing guns from the USA and firearms license

Options
  • 15-07-2008 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Guys,

A friend who has recently moved over from the states is looking to import their 2 guns they are a kimber is a 0.45 and ruger is 0.22. can anyone give me any direction on the laws in Ireland regarding these guns and the procedure to import these arms? Also how do we go about getting a license for these? Is it a matter of going to the Guards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There's a very good post by Clare Gunner on this forum from sometime last year with all the lowdown on exactly how it's best done.

Just use the search function for posts by that user with 'import' as the keyword and you should find it. It was a thread he started so there should be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

My limited experience with this subject is it can be done but is a real PITA.

This is the old thread that rrcp is referring to. A good source of information.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055127595

Link is Kaput, try the next one, go to the third post and click the link.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055221652&highlight=Importing+guns+from+the+USA

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

Would importing a new shotgun from the uk to ireland more hassle than its worth, was looking at a shooting few magazines and the prices are way cheaper than dealers here?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I was chatting to a dealer in England recently about a Browning 325, which he was offering for 599 pounds. He gave me a provisional quote of 95 for shipping. Steep, but fair enough, thought I. However, he said he'd check with the Gun Trade Association to make sure everything was okay, and when he came back shipping had been changed to 265 pounds somehow, in line with the GTA's requirements. So my advice is check with your dealer, but that was a painful surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I was chatting to a dealer in England recently about a Browning 325, which he was offering for 599 pounds. He gave me a provisional quote of 95 for shipping. Steep, but fair enough, thought I. However, he said he'd check with the Gun Trade Association to make sure everything was okay, and when he came back shipping had been changed to 265 pounds somehow, in line with the GTA's requirements. So my advice is check with your dealer, but that was a painful surprise.

Did you try going morth of the boarder? Might be cheaper to take in or buy there?

• Advertisement

Working on possibilities for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If the guns are already in their possesion in another jurisdiction it could be rather simple.

1) Apply for a licence through the local Garda station
    2) Once you have the licence apply to the DOJ for an importation permit.
    3) Have them shipped or collect and bring them over yourself.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

£265 seems a bit much. You could probably drive there yourself and pick it up for that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

There is a form!

Attached.

IRLConor wrote: »
    £265 seems a bit much. You could probably drive there yourself and pick it up for that money.

Yeah, exactly, and one, that ends up not being much of a deal, and two, I couldn't be arsed doing so. :p Currently awaiting reply to the question of whether it's a better idea to get it shipped to a dealer in Newry, which I am prepared to do. (and I know the perfect valley to christen it while I'm up there ;))

• Advertisement

Response received this morning, £70. Looks good. :)

Advertisement