Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-existent 3G signal

Options
  • 15-07-2008 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

So here's the story, perhaps familiar to quite a few who live in the sticks.

I live in the hills/glens of Donegal. Where the house is there is no 3G signal.
    Eircom basically said hell would freeze over before broadband a la phone line would be available. So, while fingers are crossed for a snowy underworld we are looking for an alternative.
    I have been looking at 2 way Sat broadband, some UK based company, cant remember who at the mo, gave the lowest price so far of 55euro a months (prob ext VAT), the rest get a bit pricey.
    Apart from Sat broadband, any other options?

I was thinking of a homemade relay station on top of a hill behind the house (3G signal IS available there). Between 250 - 350m's from house to top of hill line of sight.
    However Im not totally familiar with the hardware/protocols required.
    Im thinking arouter which could take a 3G signal (from a "3 Network" USB modem) and fire out a 802.11n signal to the house.
    Fun will also come from trying to figure how to power it - thinking solar/wind battery with AC/DC adapter.

Am I giving myself a hell of alota headaches, or is there an piece of kit which already does all of this?

thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Try fixed wireless. Then try Satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I'll tell you what I tell everyone, Dovado UMR (http://www.infoferenda.eu/index.php?product_id=1&page=shop.product_details&category_id=1&flypage=flypage.tpl&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2)

What you're suggesting is pretty ambitious. With enough know-how and perseverance you could, in theory, to set up a base station to provide a 2-way LOS link using some directional antennas. I say in theory because I have no experience in this area and it could be a big job even getting the power up there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Annatar wrote: »
    Fun will also come from trying to figure how to power it - thinking solar/wind battery with AC/DC adapter.

I nearly forgot after reading this post that
    a. Ireland is the second richest country in EU
    and
    b. The Stong Age finished years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Annatar

Skyuser wrote: »
    I nearly forgot after reading this post that
    a. Ireland is the second richest country in EU
    and
    b. The Stong Age finished years ago

Define richest? Most in debt? or best with the dig outs?

Stone age finished years ago? yeah well Ill believe it when I see it. The Gov doesnt have to drive to push this new fangled bronze throughout the country.
    The stonemasons guild have them in their pockets.

Seriously though, I would have figured some smartarse would have created an all-in-one independently powered Broadband-to-wireless repeater (directional optional).
    Oh and made it cheap.

Advertisement