Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access 2003 creating Text file(s) as FTP Scripts

Options
  • 15-07-2008 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm running Access 2003 to generate CSV files which is working fine. I'm then running FTP via "Call Shell" and using a pre-existing FTP script file to send my files to a remote FTP server.

The above works fine, but I would like to be able to reference a unique file name per FTP Script that's run, as the fixed FTP script leaves me open to data file lose.

I have tried "DoCmd.TransferText acExportFixed...." but the text file generated has a fixed line width and FTP doesn't like these.

Any ideas will be much appreciated.
    Regards,
    AJB

PS If you know of any smarter way to run FTP from within Access that would be a bonus and also very much appreciated. The Call Shell process is weak on error handling/status reporting. In fact it has none!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 muminek

Hi AndyJB,

I had similar problem few weeks ago - what I was told by one of IT guru was to use Perl and "use Net::FTP" commends.

It was quite easy to write the code in Perl (15 line only) - but it worked. Plus Perl forums are full of scripts to use.

Hope it will help,

m

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

You could create a batch file to perform your ftp upload and use the current datetime as a timestamp and append a log file each time the process runs.

Add this batch file to your scheduler and get it to upload a file if it is present in the folder.

This way access will just be creating the file.

You can log an error if it occurs.

Advertisement