Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What language is this?

Options
  • 15-07-2008 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Remiga CIA TAVO PUSBROLIS LINCE JEIGU BUTINAI GALI PASUK MANO Nr

Anyone know what language this is and the meaning? Could it be Lithuanian?
    Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

It's Lithuanian alright but can't help you with what it means. What's the context for it? Might help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

Context was a note on my windscreen with a phone number. Any good Lithuanian equivalent of babelfish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

sh_o wrote: »
    Context was a note on my windscreen with a phone number. Any good Lithuanian equivalent of babelfish?

There's a few native lithuanian speakers where I work, I'm not working til wed though, but if you still want to know, I'll find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

I've studied Lithuanian, but this message makes no sense to me.

The first part is easy:
    "Remiga, this is your [male] cousin Lince"

[Lince doesn't look like a male name in Lithuanian - it could be a nickname for a male Spanish or Portuguese person.]

Now, the rest of the message appears to say:
    "if you definitely can, [please] turn. My number [is]..."

The word "pasuk" is the imperative form of the verb pasukti meaning to turn (as in turn left or right).

Make what you like of that. I'd be interested to see what a native speaker thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Arbuzas

"Remiga CIA TAVO PUSBROLIS LINCE JEIGU BUTINAI GALI PASUK MANO Nr"
    Translation:
    Remiga it's me your cousin Lince, please call me if you can.

Remiga - slang name Remigijus
    Lince - could be slang name of Linas
    Pasuk - means turn or spin, but when we are speaking about phone number it means call...I came from old times when telephone had this rotary dial so u had to spin rotary dial to call someone.

hibby: where did u study Lithuanian ? good work ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Arbuzas wrote: »
    "Remiga CIA TAVO PUSBROLIS LINCE JEIGU BUTINAI GALI PASUK MANO Nr"
    Translation:
    Remiga it's me your cousin Lince, please call me if you can.

Remiga - slang name Remigijus
    Lince - could be slang name of Linas
    Pasuk - means turn or spin, but when we are speaking about phone number it means call...I came from old times when telephone had this rotary dial so u had to spin rotary dial to call someone.

hibby: where did u study Lithuanian ? good work ;)

Labas vakaras Arbuzai! Thanks for coming along and solving this mystery.

I studied Lithuanian at home and at work (self-study) using various textbooks including "Po truputį". I enjoyed it a lot; it's a very interesting language.

Advertisement