Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Handbrake or Neutral First

Options
  • 15-07-2008 3:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭

The main problems i have is when coming to a stop and when to use the handbrake:

eg when stopping should i pull the handbrake up and then go into neutral or visa versa

should i always use the handbrake even when i am only going to be stationery for half a second - eg when turning and opposing car is just about to pass

when in heavy traffic is it best to slowly move behind traffic or stop and wait a few seconds with the handbrake up and then proceed?

May be waffling here but aargh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Mont wrote: »
    eg when stopping should i pull the handbrake up and then go into neutral or visa versa

Handbrake, then neutral, otherwise the car is out of gear, and able to move freely.

As for the other situations, they can all depends on the conditions and circumstances. Put on the handbrake if you're going to be stopped for a period of time or on a hill. Maybe other posters will offer more advice.

Keep driving, and as you gain more experience, it will become clearer to you when to apply handbrake and when not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Okay, well as already stated always handbrake and then neutral, that's when fully stopped of course!
    As for whether to put on the handbrake or not, personnally, if i'm stopped for more than three seconds i would put on the handbrake, the only times i wouldn't do so would be when i see the traffic ahead moving, or if as i come to a stop i notice the traffic lights turn green.
    As for the traffic scenario, there's no need to stay bumper to bumper with the car infront, but leaving a huge gap wouldn't help things either, best advise would be to leave about a 2/3 second gap between you and the car infront, that's for heavy traffic situations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Okay, well as already stated always handbrake and then neutral, that's when fully stopped of course!
    As for whether to put on the handbrake or not, personnally, if i'm stopped for more than three seconds i would put on the handbrake, the only times i wouldn't do so would be when i see the traffic ahead moving, or if as i come to a stop i notice the traffic lights turn green.
    As for the traffic scenario, there's no need to stay bumper to bumper with the car infront, but leaving a huge gap wouldn't help things either, best advise would be to leave about a 2/3 second gap between you and the car infront, that's for heavy traffic situations.

Then what would you do - would you keep your foot on the brake or just control the car with the clutch in and brake in - what im trying to ask is what should you do to keep stationery without using the handbrake - do you stay in gear or put it into neutral - if in gear can you keep keep the clutch and the brake in - is this ok for the test cause this is mainly what i do - a bit confused - i thought that when the car was stopped that you had to put up the handbrake?

If the car is stopped for less than three or four seconds, like in the situations mentioned above, i would, stop with the foot brake, clutch in and leave the car in gear and staying with my foot on the brake. Obviously if on a hill you must use the handbrake. But, The handbrake is not necessarily a must when stopped, but if stopped for longer than a few seconds i would recommend using the handbrake.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I was told to apply the handbrake when waiting more than 5 seconds or you are at the lights just as they go red. It's also Wait until vehicle stops, handbrake then neutral, or into first gear if you're top of the lights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

are you supposed to use the handbrake if you're behind another vehicle and stopped,regardless of hills etc?

macroman wrote: »
    I was told to apply the handbrake when waiting more than 5 seconds or you are at the lights just as they go red. It's also Wait until vehicle stops, handbrake then neutral, or into first gear if you're top of the lights.

yup that's a handy way of putting it.
    Brianthebard, like said, your position in the cue shouldn't really make that much difference as far as the handbrake goes, if you can see that you'll be waiting for more than 3/4 seconds apply the handbrake, if you're at the top of a cue of traffic, at a red light for example, you can leave the car in first gear to be ready to move off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

If you are at a stop sign and there is an oncoming car which should pass you in around 2-3 seconds - do you have to put up the handbrake if there is another car behind you?

Mont wrote: »
    If you are at a stop sign and there is an oncoming car which should pass you in around 2-3 seconds - do you have to put up the handbrake if there is another car behind you?

If you're only going to be stopped for a second or two you shouldn't have to put on the handbrake, unless on a hill etc. If you're going to be stopped for more than say 3/4 seconds you could put on the handbrake

Advertisement