Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad diet has to stop !!

• 15-07-2008 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi guys,

I'd love to know your thoughts and suggestions about how I'm going to get my diet healthier. First of all let me tell you that I work a 4 cycle shift of 1 month of days and one month of nights, 12 hour shifts. I'm not overweight ( I don't know why with the sh*t I eat :o )and am sort of active and I'm 31 yo. Here is more or less my run down of foods....

First of all I don't like veggies:eek:, dunno whether it's from them being stuffed in my gob growing up but I actually gag when I try swallow them. But I absolutely love fruit. Any kind at all but I don't get enough of it and when I do buy it I end up leaving most of it rot in the bowl!

At home on days off

Breakfast : - Tea and toast/ Very odd bowl of cereal/ Fry up.
    Lunch : - Whatever I can get my hands on - chocolate/sandwich/crisps etc.
    Dinner: - Take away or oven chips ( Used to own a deep fat fryer but decided to get rid as everything was ending up in there! ) and some sort of meat.

On my working days/nights

Breakfast : - 2 Slices of brown toast/ Bowl of fresh fruit / Banana /Cereal /Tea
    Lunch : - Whatever meat/fish is on + chips
    Dinner ( when I get home ) : - Oven chips mostly with something else frozen, like pies/ ham and cheese slices/ chicken etc.

Dont hold back guys..............:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Loose the Chips for starters...

The fruit compensates a lot for your hatred of veg so wouldn't worry too much about that.

Carbs are your big problem OP..

Cereal and fruit for breakfast is good,
    Salad for lunch and fresh meat / chicken / Fish
    Dinner.. Pasta, Rice, Baked Potato again with fish or chicken - better carbs than chips..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 tara1999

Hi looptheloop,

I know chips are a killer but what do i replace them with? Are oven chips just as bad as the one's deep fried? Aren't potatoes high carbs as well? I'm not a lover of salads either so I'm kinda stuck in a lot of ways. Any other thoughts?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

If you find a passable replacement for chips, you'd be a millionaire tomorrow.. oven chips are just as bad for you and more processed..

I make chips out of parsnips cut up into mickie d's sized fries.. not the same thing but you get a crunch as well as more veg..

You hardly deep fry the parsnips ... do you??? I'm not a lover of veg though. I didn't think that oven chips were that bad!! OMG what'll I eat now!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

If you are dying for some chips, do what I do.

Get some baby new potatoes (250g is a large portion) and either leave them whole or roast them. Drizzle them in a bit of olive oil and if you like, add some green herbs, garlic, salt and pepper. (Plain is also fine - you can have them with salt, vinegar, ketchup or mayo afterwards.)

Then roast them at 200 degrees in the oven til they're soft in the middle and crispy on the outside.

It's a lot healthier and a lot lower in calories than chips. Delish too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

You could try making chips out of sweet potatoes too, they're naturally sweet so you wont be piling on the ketchup :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

tara1999 wrote: »
    You hardly deep fry the parsnips ... do you??? I'm not a lover of veg though. I didn't think that oven chips were that bad!! OMG what'll I eat now!!!!

Nah, just cook like oven chips, in duck or goose fat if possible..mmmm drool

Cheers guys! Aanyone any other thoughts on the matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

A healthy diet has to include veg. Are you sure you hate all veg? Maybe it''s the way they are cooked. Overcooked veg make me gag too but it makes such a difference when they are prepared well. Roasted veg are delicious. Or why don't you try some different varieties of salad? If you are ever in town, there is a veggie/deli shop on Drury St called Blazing Salads. It's very near the entrance to George's Street Arcade. They do a fab salad bar (to take away). It might be a good way to try different veg in a salad and if you like something you could try making it yourself at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

do you like soup OP?

Perhaps you could increase your veggie intake that way?

Soup is easy to make and you can make up a batch that lasts a few days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement