Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hd replaced

Options
  • 15-07-2008 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

i had to replace one of my hds now the pc does not recognise it, the start up says no secondary hd, i have a pentium 3 on xp, the hardrive in d is running on ubuntu, i am technically inept, so please keep it simple, thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Are the jumper settings (pins at the back of the drive) correct? Make sure you have it set as 'Slave'. Assuming this is IDE hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,956 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Apoligies if it sounds too obvious, but do you have the jumpers set correctly on the second HD?

edit: Bah, not fast enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

yeah on an an IDE cable the drive on the end of the cable is MASTER and the one in the middle of the cable is SLAVE. I think I have that right, anyway, you need to set the jumper on the pins, the hard drive has a little diagram showing which way to put the jumper for Master, Slave or Cable Select.

I think also if you put both drive on the Cable Select (CS) setting it will figure it out automatically. Not sure if there's a performance loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

being honost, i do not know nothing about the jumpers, what i done, was i removed the 8 gig hd, and put in the 40 gig one, yes it is ide

it says on start up that primary slave apati is incompatable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

This is something you should have on the hard drive, these are jumper settings. The way I have mine setup is, 2 hard drives on Master and Slave on IDE1 (Primary channel) and DVD ROM and DVDRW Master and Slave on IDE2 (Secondary Channel), if that gives you a better idea. Go into the BIOS settings when the computer boots up (del key, or something else) and make sure that hard drive detection is set to Auto.

install-ide-hard-drive-jumper.gif

that is the way its set, but it cannot access slave on ide 1, also in d it is running ubuntu, but last night, it was running xp as i had tom tom maps stored in it,

Your not making your problem very clear.

Drive letters can change so dont refer to them as C, D etc.

This could explain why your D changed from XP to ubuntu overnight.

Where is the drive not being recognised, if you go into bios, usually enterred by pressing DEL after startup, does the drive get recognised there? You should be able to see the drives as IDE1 PRIMARY, IDE1 SLAVE, IDE2 PRIMARY, IDE2 SLAVE. Your CD/DVD rom drives will show up here too.

If the drive doesnt show up in the BIOS the drive is either faulty or you have the jumpers wrong.

If the drive does show up in windows, it may not be formatted correctly.

If you're running UBUNTU and XP off the same drive you have what is called a partition on your drive, which means that for example, C: and D: are on the SAME drive.

Maybe you can post back with more info and we can help you some more.

EDIT: Rereading over what you said, you took out your 8 gig and put in a 40 gig. Did you reinstall your OS? or did you have two drives in already?? and swapped the second drive for a new one??

1st i had 2 drives in
    2nd i replaced drive c with a larger capacity 1
    when i enter the bios setup it says
    primary ide master maxtor 9102102
    primary ide slave armd
    in start up it has primary ide 1
    no mention of primary ide slave
    secondary ide master
    secondary ide slave
    then primary slave atapi slave incompatible
    press f1 to continue,
    this brings up ubuntu
    no sign of xp
    i hope this makes sense to some one

OK

Did you use to be able to choose at bootup which OS you wanted to use?

Its likely Windows XP was installed on the drive you took out, and that the original drive which is still there has the ubuntu install on it.

It doesnt look like your BIOS is recognising the new hard drive you put in, you may need to update the BIOS as older motherboards had problems recognising newer large capacity drives.

Go to your motherboard manufacturers website and get a program to flash an upgraded BIOS to it.

After you flash if the disk doesnt get detected and the make and capacity of drive doesnt show up in the BIOS after PRIMARY IDE SLAVE reading well then its most likely the hard drive is knackered. Where did you get it from, must be an old drive cause I dont think they make 40gig hard drives any more.

Hard drives can get damaged very easily from being dropped and knocked around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement