Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

champix

Options
  • 15-07-2008 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Im on the Champix 12 days now.
    day 1:numbness/tingling feeling in my mouth,kept going though,
    on day 10 I had to halve the dose as I had cramps and I was vomiting after each tablet,side effects are real ****ty,I had them all!Dont really want to list them,.but I only take the evening tablet now and that is after a hefty meal still feel the sickness and queasyness but not as bad.
    I have given up before going cold turkey,but always went back after a few months so I am determined this time,I havent smoked in 4 days now,still have cravings not as bad and not as often(Children on Summer hoildays not helping much)!!
    I will keep u posted.
    Siobhán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 georgygirl

I'm hearing u hun. The gut ache is a horror. I'm on day 21 of champix and still smoking. Quit day 2moz, gotta give it a shot, but I'm scared. But even more scared of dying from some smoke related disease and not being there for my babies :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭xxXCuteypieXxx

Hey girls, my doctor prescribed me champix just over a year ago, wasnt really committed to quiting, but thought id give it a go for the craic. I had bad cramps and vomiting with them early on, but i learnt to ease it by eating a good meal beforehand and not really moving around too much (hard im sure when you have kids though!). I just lost the craving for cigarettes overnight so i stopped taking the champix after two weeks to see how i got on. I have never touched a cigarette since and for months after i always kept a pack in the house as i would probably have craved them more if i didnt.
    Basically, i tried champix without really expecting much, and with little willpower, but whatever they did, they definitely worked for me. Stick with it ladies, im a year off them now after smoking for 7 years, and still havent had a craving.
    Good luck and hope this helps a bit! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tsher

Hi everyone,

I gave up smoking 18 days ago using Champix. You should take them with food to calm the sickness feeling that you get; a lot of people say that they feel sick and give up, don't give up, eat before taking your pill and all will be well!

I also recommend that you take the full 12 week course. I stopped taking the pills on day 14 and it has been tough without them, I have managed not to smoke despite huge cravings to do so but do not with to go back on the Champix; I shall keep refusing myself the nicotene.

Chest pains and rotting teeth made me give up smoking. I smoked for over 35 years and got Champix through my surgery via the nurse. The first time I blew into the carbon monoxide tube the alarm went off, almost 4 weeks in I got a zero reading and was bursting with pride! I have a CT scan this coming Tuesday to check my arteries due to the chest pain, I am praying that I have not been too late in giving up smoking. My Father died of heart disease and had angina, god willing I am not going to follow him down that path.

Champix made the cigs taste disgusting and this is how I am remembering them as being bitter, with each draw making me feel horribly sick. I stopped on day 11 of taking Champix and could not put another cig to my mouth since. I have had the devil (nicotene) on my shoulder telling me that I can have just one when I like but I have swept him off in disgust.

If you REALLY want to give up smoking, then you wil do it with or without Champix, Champix does help considerably. I am now on day 18 and so proud of myself, I have been through a couple of majorilly stressfull situations and have walked away smoke free.

Best of luck to you all and I hope that you can achieve your wish to stop this disgusting, unhealthy habit. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Hi :-),
    I gave up smoking on My wedding anniversary April of Last year. I had been trying since February, but to no avail. I remember, I was very diciplined during the day to not smoke, but, when hubby would get home from work I would take *one* singe puff from his ciggie! I longed for it every day! Just the one puff!

Obviousy I realised that I was just didn't want to let go of them..... The one puff a night wasn't going to do much for any nicotine cravings, but i convinced myself I 'needed' it. This went on EVERY night from Feb - April!!!!

Then in April the doctor gave me Champix. He had that look on his face, as much to say 'I'll give you this, but you know as well as me, you love your cigarettes too much lady'. This would have been my 5/6 th atempt at quitting. Day one of Champix, I was AS HIGH AS A KITE!!! felt really dopey, and almost drunk feeling. Sat down for most of the day, had no energy. the 'no energy' thing could have been the toxins. That night I the THE most vivid & weird dreams. Day 2 was like day 1 without the 'high' feeling. Again that night, vivid dreams. Day 3 - the same.

I remember at the time reading about the Champix and people commenting that 'they almost forgot to smoke' hence the cutting down, before quitting for good. I personally think that (for the first3/4 days) you are so drugged/high that you don't NEED to smoke. You get the sycadelic (sp) feeling that can not be matched by ANY cigarette! By day5 you look in amazment at your half full pack of Players finest and think... What a good girl am I !!!

I never got the upset tummy/headache feelings though. Just sleepy/dopey/lazy ( all of the 7 dwarfs basically) minus the smell of cigarettes! Roll on 18 months i'm still smoke free! 2 stone heavier! but healthier! hubby came off them 9 months after me, and is also still a non smoker. He did it cold turkey though!

BTW the weird 'high' feelings only last the first few days, so just be careful if driving like! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 orlamcnevin

On champix 14 days and today is my 1st day off them.
    It's tough but am feeling relaxed and positive!!
    Just milled my way though a whole packet of fruit pastilles though!

Good luck to all you quitters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭sam22

started champix 15 days ago, have not smoked for 5 days now, feel better allready, been smoking for 35yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Best of best Luck to the new non smokers! Ye can do it! (and smell lovely in the process) x

• Registered Users Posts: 12 eileenmac

starting champix this week, was wondering about the insomnia and nightmares, do they pass with time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DMCC71

eileenmac wrote: »
    starting champix this week, was wondering about the insomnia and nightmares, do they pass with time ?

Hi
    Both these things are normal withdrawals when u stop smoking anyway! I really don't think champix makes it any worse! I had both but they went away after a few weeks. If u take the evening at about 6 in the evening I found the dreams weren't as bad!!!! I am almost 2 years smoke free now! Best of luck and keep going!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Spearsharp

So this is a thread for Champix users?

• Advertisement
Advertisement