Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cup a soups?

• 15-07-2008 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

what are they like? are they bad as a quick fix? what about if ur trying to lose weight on a low carb diet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I found them quite comforting on your (empty) tummy for very few calories. Think they're nutritional muck, but that's not the end of the world given their low calorie content (IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

thanks for that Khannie. Kinda laughed about nutritional muck, cos it is kinda true isnt it? but if they're low calories. cool.
    thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

The salt content is one thing to watch out for. And remember that .4g sodium is actually 1g of salt (multiply by 2.5)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

your body still has to process that nutritional muck so in the long run pick something else e.g. fruit and nuts, yoghurt, oatcakes etc

Full of MSG also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

have a cup of tea, these things are dreadful for you. You would be better off having a cup of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Used to have these for my lunch all the time and I couldn't figure out why I was so thirsty all the time. They are loaded with salt :eek:

+1 for oatcakes and some hard cheese, some nuts, some fruit or even the humble cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I have a moral objection to any "food" that comes in powdered form and needs to be rehydrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I have a moral objection to any "food" that comes in powdered form and needs to be rehydrated.
    What is the objection? the energy needed to dehydrate it?

I have heard of people complaining about the energy needed to freeze foods. I also read of UK househould throwing out either 25 or 33% of the food they buy, and how freezing could prevent this, and discarding food could cause more of a "carbon footprint".

Most fruit juices are made from concentrate so I would view them in a similar way to dehydrated foods.

OP- you could make your own soups and freeze them in individual containers, then you are in control of the salt.

rubadub wrote: »
    What is the objection? the energy needed to dehydrate it?

Not at all, the objection is to the very concept of it! It goes against everything I think food should be - fresh, seasonal & local whenever possible.

The idea of "making" soup or sauce from powder and water is just anethema to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

The idea of "making" soup or sauce from powder and water is just anethema to me.

Just to throw the cat among the pigeons, what about baby formula?

• Advertisement

g'em wrote: »

I don't know enough about it to venture an opinion! Children will not be an option for us so it's not something I'll need to worry about anyway.

Children will not be an option for us so it's not something I'll need to worry about anyway.
    meh, you don't need to have children to comment on it!

My point is, there are forms of powdered food that have not been compromised nutritionally in any way shape or form. Powdered whey is another example which is the whey run-off from milk being curdled (a by-process of cheese making) has all the moisture removed leaving it in stable, long-life form.

My point is, there are forms of powdered food that have not been compromised nutritionally in any way shape or form. Powdered whey is another example which is the whey run-off from milk being curdled (a by-process of cheese making) has all the moisture removed leaving it in stable, long-life form.

Well obviously, and you could count freeze-dried coffee in the same category.

I should have been more clear - my issue is with powdered soups and sauces (Knorr Pastario being an example) that are full of salt, flavour enhancers and stabilisers.

I should have been more clear - my issue is with powdered soups and sauces (Knorr Pastario being an example) that are full of salt, flavour enhancers and stabilisers.

Aye sure we're on the same page so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

What is bad about flavour enhancers? Salt? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Salt is the oldest flavour enhancer, but the sodium in it can exacerbate blood pressure problems as well as causing thirst.

MSG is another sodium salt used for flavour enhancing, mainly in Asian cooking. There are well-documented health concerns over the use of MSG - link and link.

would hard cheese not be a bad choice, for fat content? would it not hinder me losing weight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

would hard cheese not be a bad choice, for fat content? would it not hinder me losing weight?
    Depends how much of it you eat but I suggested it as you wanted low carb snack options. If you're only eating two or three oat cakes then you'll be using a very small amount of cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Interesting one. We used formula after breast milk. It's a lot cheaper than the madey-upey milks and has a bunch of convenience benefits. I use powdered whey and casein also. As rubadub pointed out, the carbon footprint does bother me, but not enough not to use them. In the case of whey and protein I think there's probably a net carbon saving versus eating the same amount of protein from meat.

As for salt content in cup-o-crap: Personally it doesn't bother me in the slightest tbh. I sweat enough to not care a huge amount about the amount of salt I take in. (I really do sweat a lot when I exercise :o) and I don't add salt to anything except fried egg and popcorn. I should say that I haven't had instant soup in about 6 months but if I needed to shift a lot of weight again, I'd consider the odd one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

they smell really artificial too..... full of msg and salt!

• Advertisement

yeah sounds good, as a snack alright. the oat cakes, are they available everywhere? supermarkets etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

the oat cakes, are they available everywhere? supermarkets etc?

Yes, you can find them by the likes of cream crackers and Ryvita in supermarkets.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I love baby bells n pistachio nuts on the go, surprisingly filling n tasty..

Advertisement