Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aquarium parasites/worms. advice needed

Options
  • 15-07-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've recently become very interested in keeping tropical fish. I've gone from an 80 litre to a 120 litre to a 380 litre tank within a matter of weeks. I keep most of my fish in the 380 ltr and as I have a cray fish i keep it in the 120 tr tank to protect my (prone to attack) fish.

Anyways, I ordered 5 golden apple snails online from a private seller. they were delivered today and i placed them in the 380 ltr tank temporariy and moved the to the 120 tank with a matter of minutes as a preference. I quickly noticed that the worms have carried hundreds parasitic worms about 1 - 2mm long and they are a cause for concern. I have not seen any in the larger tank and i'm hoping the parasites only emerged when the snails became active in the 120 tank. Any advice? i'll be asking the pet shop today but i would like suggestions if you have any. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

Are they snails or worms?

If they are snails, break them against the glass and the fish will eat them.

If they are worms try remove them straight away.

I had problems with small snails when I introduced live plants to my tank for the first time last year. A couple of water changes later and they were gone. A water change might help??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

These are parasites, and a water change won't do it, ya need something like metronidazol dosed at 500mg per 100 litre of water, you can get it from a vet. Alternatively try Meth Blue, but be careful with the dosage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I know a clown loach will eat snails but I'm not sure about worms though.
    Any photos of the tanks?

Advertisement