Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning to get a boxer dog

Options
  • 15-07-2008 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As the title states I am planning to get a boxer. I was just wondering would anyone have any advice as to where to get a good pedigree one i.e breeders etc. I am living in North County Dublin by the way. What age I should get him at. Does anyone also have any experience with these dogs in terms of looking after them and what I should look out for when getting one i.e that it has been fully vaccinated, tagged etc. Also what would I need to get in advance of its arrival i.e kennel etc. Any help with this would be appreciated becasue I really would not have a clue however if I get one I would be determied to look fater it really well i.e with vaccinations, routine check ups, exercise etc. and anything els it may need.

Rgds
    Billy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Hi Billy, I have three Boxers - I LOVE the breed, they are fantastic!

The first thing I'll say to you is, would you consider rescuing one rather than buying? There are currently loads of Boxers ending up in the Ashton pound, it's heartbreaking. Have a look at www.dogsindistress.org - there were at least three on there last week.

If you have your heart set on buying a dog, then make sure you find a reputable breeder. The best way to do this is to contact the Boxer Scoeity of Ireland - the secretary's number is 087-6455188 (Mods, please don't edit this, it's on public record here: http://ikc.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=17&Itemid=32) . This really is the best way to find a breeder who is breeding for genuine love of the breed, who truly understands the breed standard and who has done all the appropriate health testing. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the ads you see on sites like donedeal and gumtree, and in the Buy & Sell are puppy farmers or back yard breeders, and I would ask you to avoid them like the plague. By getting a puppy from either of these, you are supporting an abhorrent industry.

In terms of the dog itself, I actually don't see a kennel as a requirement for a Boxer - they are indoor dogs and as such, should not be left in a position where they require an outdoor shelter.

Boxers are considered puppies until they're around 3 years old, so an older rescue dog might really be ideal if you think you'd rather bypass this extended puppyhood!

They are very, very social dogs and do not do well at all if left alone for long periods of time. They are fantastic with children, but can be a bit boisterous when they're excited.

Exercise-wise, a tired Boxer makes for a happy owner, as the saying goes! A good hour's walk once a day, and if at all possible, a off-lead run - they are REALLY energetic and one of mine in particular is almost impossible to tire out just by walking.

Healthwise, they're prone to cardiomyopthy and hip and elbow displasia, which is why it's so important for breeders to do the proper testing. Just normal vaccines are required. Obviously, spaying/neutering should be a given.

Grooming-wise they are EXTREMELY easy to look after - any dirt/mud can just be brushed off once they're dry and they don't need to be bathed more than 2 or 3 times a year.

This is turning into a bit of an epic psot, so I'll leave it at that, but if you do have any other questions, feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Don't think you're going to get a better reply than that one!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

Nicely done Honey-ec!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Honey-ec wrote: »

Healthwise, they're prone to cardiomyopthy and hip and elbow displasia, which is why it's so important for breeders to do the proper testing. Just normal vaccines are required. Obviously, spaying/neutering should be a given.

Just to add breathing problems can be an issue too. They have what is called a brachycephalic face i.e. very short condensed muzzles (the scrunched up face) like pugs and pekingeses, therefore can require ops on them if nasal issues arise!
    Fun dogs though but need quite a bit of exercise as Honey -ec said...full of beans all the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

They are also prone to tumors on their body and also to Brain Tumors. They are also a very active and jumpy dogs who never grow up, very hyper love company even though a big dog they DO NOT do well outside without human company. Very slobbery so if ur house proud these are not the dog for u. Pass wind very often which is foul
    But inspite all this if u put the time in with these lovely dogs they are well worth it.
    Oh and they snore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭SunnyP

Im really glad someone mentioned the passing of the wind in relation to boxers Our male (11 months old) is dire when it comes to farting. He plonks himself on the sofa wiggles around till he is comfy then well then lets just say it clear the room time and do not attempt reentry for a least a few minutes lol.

But yeah to agree with what Honey said they need loads of attention play time and excerise but you will be hard set find a more loyal and lovable dog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks all for the advice. Unfortunately i live on my own (no kids to give it attention) and work 9 till 5 so I would be planning to leave the dog out the back garden during the day (hence the reason for a kennel) and bring it for say a half an hour walk in the morning before work and anothor half an hour when I get home, and then in the evenings bring the dog inside. Would this be resonable enough? The dog would be more for company and companionship, as it does get lonely living on your own a lot of the time. Would the garder need to be a reasonbale size for leavning him out the back garden. In terms of having to keep the dog inside over nights are they prone to do the dirt a lot. i suppose I would have to get it trained etc.

Cheers for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I work the same hours as you, so am gone by 8am and not home till after 7...long long day for the dog on his own. Id love a pet but realistically dont think being out of the house for 11hrs a day i could give a dog the attention it deserves! Boxers as others have previously stated have ALOT of energy...would you consider a different breed e.g.a greyhound that are quite happy to lounge around all day and sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

anniehoo wrote: »
    I work the same hours as you, so am gone by 8am and not home till after 7...long long day for the dog on his own. Id love a pet but realistically dont think being out of the house for 11hrs a day i could give a dog the attention it deserves! Boxers as others have previously stated have ALOT of energy...would you consider a different breed e.g.a greyhound that are quite happy to lounge around all day and sleep?

yeah -working 9-5 rarely means you are out of the house from 9-5 only. More likely 8-6 best case. It's a bit long to leave a dog as energetic as a boxer at home alone ...

Greyhounds wouldn't be suitable for a back garden during the day, they need to sleep indoors, or at least have access to an indoor room.

Two older dogs might be more suitable for your situation OP. Plenty of them in the shelters ... is there any particular reason why it'd have to be a boxer?

Edit: Op you said you live on your own .. what happens on the days that you have to work late unexpectedly, or if you have something on after work - the dog would be on his own (bored out of his tree) for the ENTIRE day?!

Hi,

I just think boxers are cute and masculine type dogs (don't want to sound sexist or anything) i.e I would not like to have a poodle or Yorkshire terrier. A greyhound would be too big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi,

I just think boxers are cute and masculine type dogs (don't want to sound sexist or anything) i.e I would not like to have a poodle or Yorkshire terrier. A greyhound would be too big.

To be very, very blunt about it, someone in your situation (i.e. single and away all day) shouldn't have any dog.

You simply don't have the time to care for one.

billyhead wrote: »
    A greyhound would be too big.

I've seen plenty of greyhounds which are smaller in stature and weight than a boxer.

They're also quieter and not as boisterous or destructive either.

But I agree with Peasant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

Well if your set on getting a Boxer regardless of what you have been yold then Pm Shinners007. She breeds quality boxers and also has a website were you can get all the information you need about the breed. Its
    www.boxerlandireland.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

KhuntChops wrote: »
    Well if your set on getting a Boxer regardless of what you have been yold then Pm Shinners007. She breeds quality boxers and also has a website were you can get all the information you need about the breed. Its
    www.boxerlandireland.com
    Thats me. So if u like to get in touch feel free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

I know a few boxers had to be rehomed because they were getting too boisterous through no fault of the boxers it was the lack of excercise that was the cause think before actually getting one. The people concerned where working full time ie 9-5 Monday to Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Louise-88

I have a boxer and she cannot be left alone for even 5 minutes without becoming bored and destructive, she has 2 other dogs with her so they help keep her out of trouble but somebody would always be home with them, a boxer wouldnt really be the type of dog you could leave alone for 8 hours a day because they just want and need to be with people all the time and are definatly not outdoor dogs, would you consider a dog with a bit more of a independant personality?

Thanks for the info. What dog that would be less lively and become bored so asily would you recommend. As I said I would have him out the back garden during the day and would bring him in at night. I would also be committed to taking him for walks beofre and after work and then long walks at the weekend also.. I would be gone from the house between say 8.30am until 6pm, as I work not to far from where I live but would not be abe to call out during lunch hours. As I mentioned aswell I would not want a very small dog like a Jack Russell or yorkshirre terrier type. What about a cocker spaniel. Do they become just as bored as the boxer?

Rgds
    Billy

I've never had a cocker spaniel so wouldnt be able to give a honest answer but i know my Shiba inu would be perfect for you. There very independant dogs and he likes attention but also likes having his own space, he would rather be outside than inside during the day where he can be noisy but he is very energetic and would need long walks too, Sky would rather be in the back garden during the day with a ball he can chase listening to whats going on around him than stuck in the house, i honestly think a Shiba would be perfect for you as wouldnt get distressed alone but you would need a high fence as there escape artists!!!! :D

Oh BTW a Shiba is a medium sized dog aswel. males grow to about 17 inches in height

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Billy - I'm someone who would love to get a dog also - and I'm in the same situation as yourself in terms of the time I would have available. I really thought long and hard about how I might make it work - but decided it would just not be fair on the dog.

All dogs need company - think about it yourself - most of the day alone and in fairness, you are not going to be able to give a dog 100% of your afterwork time. What about going for a drink after work, getting delayed or having to do overtime, wanting an impromtu weekend away etc etc.

I ended up getting 2 cats and they are brilliant. Great fun - I know you can't bring them for walks but they do chase balls and you can teach them tricks. They are really loving and great company. They do need a lot of time also, but are much better adapted to being on their own during the day.

Just a suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jenjo23

I've had 2 cocker spaniels so far and they both did well on their own during the day.

All cockers really want is food and love and excercise. Food being number 1 on their list, which is why they are prone to being overweight!!

If you are leaving them alone, fill a kong or give them a pigs ear (I usually replace the morning meal with this, don't want a fat doggy). My guy runs off down the back of his garden with his pigs ear and I won't see him until it's finished.

They don't need alot of space, are happy in apartments even.

Plenty of love and attention and excercise when you are around and they will be fine.

They love forest walks and walks where there is water and they can get really messy, they love to be dirty!!

jenjo23 wrote: »
    I've had 2 cocker spaniels so far and they both did well on their own during the day.

With all due respect, how do you know? You're not there!! :confused: Edit: I'm not trying to make you feel bad or guilty, just want to point out that there is no way to know how your dog is feeling or what he gets up to when you're away for the day.

I agree that 2 dogs together is definitely better than one, but you have to agree it's not ideal ... even if you had a huge pack!

Just from that other thread I quoted above, that neighbor probably thinks her dog does fine during the day too but in reality he's miserable!

There is no such thing as a breed that 'does not get bored' like he has 'shaggy hair' and 'long ears'.

I dont think anybody is suggesting that there is a breed that doesnt get bored, its mostly suggesting breeds that are more independent and can entertain themselves for a few hours, some breeds are just much more dependable than others and it sounds like whatever dog the OP chooses will be treated right, he just needs to select a breed suitable to his lifestyle

Well....for one I've videoed them at home on their own. Whenever I am at home sick during the week, I'll stay up in bed for a few hours, and come down at the time I usually do for lunch.

When I am home at these times, I'll have a look out the window every now and then and he's either running around playing or in his kennel sleeping.

I also have a stay at home neighbour who believe you me would let me know if there is a problem (total busy body)

I have to say, I am sick and tired of these posts attacking people for keeping their dogs out the back or working. Fair enough you don't agree with me, but I don't agree with you either.

My man and dad have a dog, my mam stays at home, but now due to the recession in this country my dad has lost his well paid job and now both my parents have to work, so the dog will be home on their own. What do they do now, do they give the dog to a shelter?

Louise-88 wrote: »
    I dont think anybody is suggesting that there is a breed that doesnt get bored, its mostly suggesting breeds that are more independent and can entertain themselves for a few hours, some breeds are just much more dependable than others and it sounds like whatever dog the OP chooses will be treated right, he just needs to select a breed suitable to his lifestyle

Exactly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Well....for one I've videoed them at home on their own. Whenever I am at home sick during the week, I'll stay up in bed for a few hours, and come down at the time I usually do for lunch.

When I am home at these times, I'll have a look out the window every now and then and he's either running around playing or in his kennel sleeping.

I also have a stay at home neighbour who believe you me would let me know if there is a problem (total busy body)

I have to say, I am sick and tired of these posts attacking people for keeping their dogs out the back or working. Fair enough you don't agree with me, but I don't agree with you either.

My man and dad have a dog, my mam stays at home, but now due to the recession in this country my dad has lost his well paid job and now both my parents have to work, so the dog will be home on their own. What do they do now, do they give the dog to a shelter?

+1 Well said.

Ah come on. That's got nothing to do with this.

I'm just saying that the OP is in a position that he KNOWS in advance he won't be home for 9 hours a day, CAN'T get home during the day, and lives on his OWN!

Given those circumstances, do you think that is a suitable environment for a single dog? And in particular a puppy?

I would not want to be uneccesarily cruel to the dog by leaving him at home for 8 hours but what else could I do. I have to work to pay the bills. I would just like a dog as I said for company and companienship. wouldn't allow him out the front on his own which a lot of poeple in my estate do during the daytime with their dogs. I would have a kennel out the back and whatever toys etc may keep him occupied. Would anyone else have opinions good or bad on the cocker spaniel.

• Advertisement

It does, she's a dog on her own for 9 hours a day, the same as the OP's dog would be, is she better off in a shelter or should they try and rehome her?

not a puppy no, but an older dog would, especially as the OP said he would be able to call out at lunch.

Advertisement