Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning to get a boxer dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭billyhead

Jenjo23.

I would not be able to call out during lunch. I would only be in the house in the morning before I leave for work at 8am and from say 5.30pm or 6pm onwards. I would therefore have to leave him out the back during the day and he would have to go into the kennel for shelter etc from rain etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Louise-88 wrote: »
    , some breeds are just much more dependable than others and ...the OP ...just needs to select a breed suitable to his lifestyle

I call bull**** on that one !

Dogs aren't washing machines that come with a distinctive brand identity.

It is scientifically proven that character and behavior within one breed can vary wildly and that you are more likely to find two dogs from different breeds with near identical character /behaviour than you are from the same breed.

Dogs are individuals. All that the breed defines is how they look, not how they behave.

The only rough generalisation in regards to behaviour/character that you can make is between types of dog ..in as far as a herder is going to behave differently than a sighthound who in turn behaves differntly to a terrier.

But that's it and it only applies to certain situations.

There is no one breed of dog that generally does well in solitary confinement ...be that inside our outside.

There are however certain individual dogs that have learned to cope with the situation ...but you will find that they are from all sorts of breeds.

Also, the dogs that can't cope come from all breeds.

Would people please stop recommending breeds of dog for this situation just because their own dog has learned to cope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jenjo23

billyhead wrote: »
    Jenjo23.

I would not be able to call out during lunch. I would only be in the house in the morning before I leave for work at 8am and from say 5.30pm or 6pm onwards. I would therefore have to leave him out the back during the day and he would have to go into the kennel for shelter etc from rain etc.

Ah, I misunderstood.

Well my mams dog is home for that long and they don't come home for lunch.

In your case you'd prob do better with 2, a puppy would not be a good choice as they need to be fed at least 3 times a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Louise-88

it is common sense that breeds do have different distinctions from others, i never once said that they dont have there own personality so dont know where ya pulled that one from, i was mearly suggesting to the OP that the majority of boxers would be that bit more dependable, after all what makes a person choose a certain breed is how they will suit their lifestyle, and then they see the dogs personality come out after time, and the dog is hardly in social confinment, i was recommending the breed as i know more than one person with one and they do well alone for a few hours and love the outdoors

To be honest 2 dogs would not be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KhuntChops
    Well if your set on getting a Boxer regardless of what you have been yold then Pm Shinners007. She breeds quality boxers and also has a website were you can get all the information you need about the breed. Its
    www.boxerlandireland.com

Thats me. So if u like to get in touch feel free.

I think you'll find its me!!!

To the Op i wouldnt recommend getting a boxer due to the hours your out of the house
    every day, they love human company regardless to whether or not their is another dog with them, it would end in a disaster and the dog would become bored and destructive, espically as a boxer is so energetic in the first place.

Also a puppy wouldnt be a good idea, they need loads of attention and training for the first few months.

What type of dog would you suggest then shinners. It would have to be a dog thats not too small or large i.e medium sized like a boxer.

Rgds
    Billy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭yhwh

As previous people have metioned, there are certain breeds which are more independent than others and would be suitable to a person in your circumstances. Obviously the more boisterous and family oriented dogs would be a non starter as the lack of attention for long periods during the day would not be ideal.

Firstly, for a person in your situation I would be more inclined to get an adult dog as opposed to a puppy. Puppies need an awful lot of attention and being out of the house for long periods just would not work with their requirements.

Next thing to look at would be an appropriate breed for this environment. As peasent has stated, all dogs, even those to a specific group, are going to have different personalities but there certain character traits bred into specifc breeds for different purposes. These traits have been encouraged over hundreds of years and so become a core part of the dog's personality, i.e. hunting breeds or pointers and guard dogs. There are not many dog breeds that will thrive when left alone for long periods but if a dog has a calm personality, and is not overly active, they do better than a more active type. As has been mentioned a boxer is quite an active family dog and would not be ideal. German Shepherds, Rottweillers and Collies would be breeds which would be able to cope reasonably well in this situation.

From what I have read, you do seem like you will make the effort to care for the animal so might I make a suggestion that you consider a rescue dog from a shelter. Most of them would be adults and the alternative to finding a good home would be to put them down. You may find what you are looking for there.

Best of luck,

YHWH

yhwh wrote: »
    As peasent has stated...
    German Shepherds, Rottweillers and Collies would be breeds which would be able to cope reasonably well in this situation.

I'd be ever so grateful if you didn't refer to me or my post and then go on and recommend the exact opposite of what I posted, which was this:
    Would people please stop recommending breeds of dog for this situation just because their own dog has learned to cope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I wouldn't imaging a Collie would be suitable either? Highly intelligent, working dogs which require hours of boundless excercise?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Defo get an older dog and not a puppy, I think you should still go ahead and get a dog since you are willing to walk it in the morning and evening and let it sleep inside. It might not be the ideal situation for a dog but everyone has to work. If everyone who was out of the house for a couple of hours a day didn't get a dog then imagine how many dogs would end up in the pound and pts. I still think this sounds like a great home for a dog, far better then sitting in dog pound or shelter all day long if he adopts one from a shelter which I recommend you do.

Maybe look out for a dog worker in your area? They usually charge very little for an hours walk during the day. That's how I feel about it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

German Shepherds, Rottweillers and Collies would be breeds which would be able to cope reasonably well in this situation.

My German Shepherd hates being separated from me and does not do well on his own. He LOVES attention and needs to be stimulated and exercised a lot. I don't want to generalise as there are always huge differences in personality between dogs in each breed, but a lot of the German shepherds I know are big babies that thrive on attention and are complete velcro dogs.

I'd agree with Glowings comment on the collie's too.

Sorry yhwh but alsations, rotties and collies are the complete opposite to what you said they were. :eek:

Rather than naming every breed under the sun, could we possibly shorten this discussion by all agreeing to the following: (please repeat after me (and michellans))

All the dogs ...
    ...I know are big babies that thrive on attention and are complete velcro dogs.

Yes, no, maybe? :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭yhwh

Peasant,

I agreed with one point you made, that the personality of a dog is not entirely dictated by it's breed. But don't misunderstand me here, that is the only point you made that I agree with. Genetics also plays a factor and quite an important one. Selective breeding increases certain desirable qualities while cancelling out other ones.

Some people on this thread seem to be attributing human qualities to what are essentially instincts, inherited actions passed down. While some breeds would not cope well with isolation, others are specifically bred for that purpose. It's in their genetic makeup no matter what the individual.

You mentioned that it is scientifically proven that character and behavior within one breed can vary wildly. By whom was this proven?

"Sorry yhwh but alsations, rotties and collies are the complete opposite to what you said they were"

Animalcrazy, what evidence have you to support this comment? I own two german shepards at the moment and both have no problem with being left on their own for long periods. As a child our family used to breed collies and again these animals were quite comfortable to be left on their own.

" Dogs are individuals. All that the breed defines is how they look, not how they behave"

Completely wrong. Origanally selective breeding was used to create and encourage specific traits mostly related to character and performance, i.e. hunting. It is only comparitively recently that dogs have been bred for aestetic reasons. Even today, certain character traits can be encouraged in specific breeds, i.e. aggression in pitbull's.

All I am saying is that certain breeds are better able to cope with isolation based on a combination of temperament and genetics.

Ok I agree with what peasant said. :D

Thanks for all the sound advice. I may just go with an adult dog from a rescue center. To be honest I ouwld prefare to get a dog from a reputable breeder so at least I would know its history and background i.e health etc.
    Can anyone recommend a good rescue center I should visit.
    Regards
    Billy

While some breeds would not cope well with isolation, others are specifically bred for that purpose. It's in their genetic makeup no matter what the individual.

Right then ...name that breed. Where is this solitary dog?

Or better still, pick a dog for the OP (but you have to agree to following conditions: you will take care of the dog if it annoys the neighbours, you will pay for the damage that it may cause out of boredom, you will arrange and pay for re-training when it becomes disruptive/shy/aggressive)

So go on ...which dog is it going to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

billyhead wrote: »
    Thanks for all the sound advice. I may just go with an adult dog from a rescue center. To be honest I ouwld prefare to get a dog from a reputable breeder so at least I would know its history and background i.e health etc.
    Can anyone recommend a good rescue center I should visit.
    Regards
    Billy

Billy, have a look at www.dogsindistress.org There are a large number of dogs on here from different rescues around the place.

Alternatively, you could pop up to the DSPCA shelter, which is on Mount Venus road in Rathfarnham.

And of course, the most desperate cases are in the council pound in Ashton, Finglas.

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

It's quite likely a shelter won't actually give you a dog given your situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Agree with Glowing, I'm pretty sure none of the decent rescues will give you a dog unless you are willing to make provisions for a dog-walker to come in at lunchtime. I know none of the rescues I homecheck for would.

Just because a dog is from a rescue does not mean that it would be more suitable as a back-garden dog than a breeder bought dog. That's why homechecks exist, to prevent unsuitable owners from making mistakes and to get the best home possible for the dog.

I think you should go ahead and get a dog only if you stick to your word and walk the dog morning and afternoon and also arrange for a walker to walk it during the day and let it sleep indoors. I know you said you would walk it morning and evening but are you likely to stick to your word? Or will you walk him for the first week until the novelty wears off of having a new dog and leave him stuck out the back garden because your 'too tired' to walk the dog before and after work?

As I mentioned I would definately be able to take the dog for a walk in the morning before work (half an hour) and then in the evening after work for an hour). I work in the civil service aswell so I could possibly be able to come home early some evenings due to flexi time. The dog would be inthe back garden though for most of the day i.e about 8 hours. I would have a kennel and anything (toy wise) etc that may keep him entertained. What do you think (yes or no). I don't want to be seen as cruel to the animal leaving him out the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ok well if you stick to what you say you'll do, go ahead...in fairness you've heard everyones arguments for the last few days and have stood your ground so at this stage you should know that although its not an ideal situation it sounds like you will do your best for whatever dog you get! Good luck!
    ps.just dont get a boxer

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Billy can understand completely where you're coming from. Many years ago was in same situation as you (except had partner as well, so there were 2 of us). Both really wanted a dog but out at work, etc. So we got our first lab. I walked him every morning & evening, for at least an hour - got up at 6am religously in all weathers & we took him to work with us whenever we could, came home at lunchtimes if possible. He got long long walks at weekends, weekends away, holidays, etc. We got a 2nd dog because we worried about him being alone & neighbours had mentioned him crying during the day (he was always in the house when we weren't there). He wanted for nothing - except company during the hours we worked- and I am sure if that dog could have chosen, his choice would have been to be with us over and above everything else. It was something I always felt very guilty about & knew in my heart wasn't really fair. Eventually I changed my job & was at home much more & finally at home all the time, so at least things changed for the better for him.

All I'm saying, is if you do decide to bring a dog into your life, then do it for the right & best reasons and remember not to blame the dog if it isn't working - I remember coming home to ripped up carpets & pillows & having to remind myself that he did it because he was bored & that was my fault. (BTW having 2 dogs just doubled the amount of damage they were able to do!)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I just can't stop myself saying this again - what about a cat? Seriously! They're lovely! :D They would be perfect for your situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Cottage Rescue

mary123 wrote: »
    Thats me. So if u like to get in touch feel free.

http://www.boxerlandireland.com/

Is that your site??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

No its not. When i posted it had my site www.irishboxers.com not the above site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

Well actually you never posted a link to any site, some one else posted my site up and you said "thats me feel free to get in contact"!:D:D

• Advertisement

mary123 wrote: »
    No its not. When i posted it had my site www.irishboxers.com not the above site.

You're not very good at making up stories, are you?

Or websites, for that matter ....http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=www.irishboxers.com&btnG=Google+Search

Advertisement