Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT210 - Msc. in Computing (Part-Time)

Options
  • 15-07-2008 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

So, my company has a education-funding program and I'm weighing up my options around Dublin. I'm a Systems Engineer for about 2 years, looking after about 200 Servers (hetrogenous makes + platforms) and accompanying hardware (SANs, various networking hardware, tape libraries).

I plan to stay in this role for a few years. At least the way it stands, I hope to move up to Senior SysEng / Team Lead as time goes by. However, I'm thinking down the line that I'd like to move into an IT Management position (be it in this company or with another) and I figure that a Masters may help me in that goal.

As I say, I'm only seeing what's out there now. I don't think my job has any relevant Masters courses (they tend to be the likes of Server+, CCNA, etc.), so I'm looking for something that's both interesting and is moderately future-proofed for C.V.'s purposes, hence my looking at the more generic IT Masters courses. If anyone has any suggestions at all, please feel free to comment!

I've a BSc. in Computer Science from DIT (FT/DT228) and also the Diploma in Computing from DIT (DT266, now defunct I believe!), so I naturally went looking at DIT first: http://www.dit.ie/DIT/study/graduate/courses/ft230.html - However, anywhere around Dublin I'd entertain. I live closer to DCU, so that's always an option.

Thanks in advance!
    Seán

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 NiteOwl2

I've said this in a previous post...

IMHO if you already have a qualification in the area, and have practical work experience, there is very little additional benefit to that MSc, I would go for DT217, the MSc in Knowledge Management, which in spite of its title is very much about leading edge topics in computer science; data mining, agile methods, business systems intelligence, etc. I know a few graduates from that course who have said it was the best thing they ever did...

http://www.comp.dit.ie/DT217/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 oneless

In response to the OP and NiteOwl2's answer-
    Would definitely recommend MSc in Computing (Knowledge Management). If you are
    looking to future proof your CV it will give you opportunities in many directions -
    leading edge computing skills, knowldege of organisational managment, clear
    link between the two so definitely will give you options.
    It should also give you a quick career progression since KM is becoming increasingly the hot topic in the present climate.
    Notice that there is a collaboration with SAS on their Business Systems Intelligence
    module which is interesting. Also think there is a link between the school and IBM on their cloud computing initiative which could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

oneless, the timing of your response is creepy: I received a mail from Boards and a mail from Trinity at exactly the same time. The latter was to let me know I've been accepted into the Msc. Managment of Information Systems course (2 year, part-time), which I'm delighted about.

By a weird coincidence, it turns out a friend from college has just finished year 1 of the same very course! So he's given me the inside scoop on all things nice and nasty about it :)

Advertisement