Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East End Hotel

Options
  • 15-07-2008 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

"boards.ie isn't the place to voice complaints like so."

Last edited by kaimera; 08-07-2008 at 09:36. Reason: updated after consultation

1.why isnt it? there are many issues and complaints raised

2.Why was thread closed?

3.I imagine the people of Portarlington would like too dicuss this issue openingly and in a democratic way.

4.What is the whole point of your website if you cant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

hi gareth, could be that you named the hotel?? only thing I can think of!

.....or maybe Kaimera just got out of bed on the wrong side that day:P

As for the hotel doesnt really affect me, but can understand your frustation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

well i know i would'nt go into the spot to drink or eat unless i was being paid ( quite a lot aswell).

id get a take away from jimmy's though the odd time, but i wouldnt class that the hotel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Dunno what this thread started out about....but I have to say that we had the carvery food there on Sunday...and we won't be back!!!

And as for Leg-Ends, well there's a whole new thread about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Gareth28

ORIGINAL THREAD THAT WAS CLOSED WITHOUT A VALID REASON

To whom it concerns,

I would like to make a complaint regarding The East End Hotel, Portarlington, Co.Laois.
    The noise decibel levels are far too high and the hotel is far too close to the proximity of nearby houses for a night club to be blaring music to all hours in the morning 2 - 3 am, every Friday and Saturday night.
    I live a few hundred yards from the hotel and I can still hear it loud and clear from my bedroom.
    There are other houses even nearer, how they are sleep every Friday/Saturday night must be a miracle.
    Could this matter be investigate please. It is an absolute disgrace and I don't see why the residents of Portarlington have to put up with this.
    Your Sincerely,

Gareth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

You were't discussing it.

You posted up a letter you say you sent and that was it. Thats not how discussion starts...

• Advertisement

Correct... once again.... nothing wrong with that... and i left it open for discussion as it is a major issue with residents within portarlington and close proximiety to the hotel...

Gareth28 wrote: »

To whom it concerns,

I would like to make a complaint regarding The East End Hotel, Portarlington, Co.Laois.
    The noise decibel levels are far too high and the hotel is far too close to the proximity of nearby houses for a night club to be blaring music to all hours in the morning 2 - 3 am, every Friday and Saturday night.
    I live a few hundred yards from the hotel and I can still hear it loud and clear from my bedroom.
    There are other houses even nearer, how they are sleep every Friday/Saturday night must be a miracle.
    Could this matter be investigate please. It is an absolute disgrace and I don't see why the residents of Portarlington have to put up with this.
    Your Sincerely,

Gareth

Doubt you will get much joy to be honest gareth. The hotel has been running a nightclub there for as long as i can remember my 26 years in portarlington.

I dont even think the residents of the estate behind the hotel even give much cause to it anymore, nor have the ever really i dont think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

To whom it concerns,

Your Sincerely,

Gareth

Kaimera is right, what do you want us to do about it?? No point discussing it here tbh, nothing constructive will become of it.

Address your complaints to the East End Hotel management.

Also, I grew up in the centre of Portarlington and I know alot of people who live in Orchard Drive (behind the hotel) and it doesn't bother them nor did it bother em so i hardly think its a MAJOR issue in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Silent Rain

Everybody chill. This IS the place to complain bout stuff like this. Dont think you're gonna have any luck with getting anything done though Gareth. I recently bought a house close enough to the back of the hotel so that I too hear the music late on friday & saturday nights, but I knew it was gonna be like that when I bought the place and even though you can hear it, it not deafening. The people in Orchard Drive did complain about this years ago and got nowhere, they're pretty good at complaining ( I'm fairly certain its their fault I dont have a rear facing window in my kitchen). Anyway, reckon you're gonna have to stick it.... and pray to god they never start having late night discos during the week.

Stevo,

If your going to reply... try not to be blatantly biased to a certain person.
    AND i dont want YOU to do anything. If you dont have an opinion other than "shut up and want can we do about it" attitude why bother even replying AND since i posted it, i was hoping for something constructive to come out of it.

Thanks Silent Rain, im glad logic is finally coming through to the surface, that the fact were on a discussion board, we can actually DISCUSS issues in our local area's. Boards.ie should realise this. I dont think they can be taken to court over this particular issue.

This IS an issue and as Silent Rain correctly pointed out, the residents have had meetings with local TD's and the owner of the place and he was suppose to sound proof the nightclub......

So i would like the thread left open for further disscussion,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

again, your original post did not invite discussion.

You simply posted up your letter and invited others to email and complain as well. You assumed others here have the same problem.

What you'd 'like' is irrelevant Gareth.

Could be a good venue for a wedding reception ;)

Stevo,

If your going to reply... try not to be blatantly biased to a certain person.
    AND i dont want YOU to do anything. If you dont have an opinion other than "shut up and want can we do about it" attitude why bother even replying AND since i posted it, i was hoping for something constructive to come out of it.

rant renaked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

um, i think he was referring to stevo not you stevoman. :)

Could be a good venue for a wedding reception ;)

lol curvy!

Gareth you didn't post anything to discuss you posted a letter of complaint, there is a difference between discussing and complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Steve_o wrote: »
    Kaimera is right, what do you want us to do about it?? No point discussing it here tbh, nothing constructive will become of it.

Address your complaints to the East End Hotel management.

Also, I grew up in the centre of Portarlington and I know alot of people who live in Orchard Drive (behind the hotel) and it doesn't bother them nor did it bother em so i hardly think its a MAJOR issue in fairness.

bit strongly put stev o do ye not think? The phrase clicky springs to mind;)

Holy Jaysus.....

Listen... I posted my complaint as a start up for the discussion that i thought people would relate too.

I live in Portarlington and i know people do have an issue with the hotel's noise level.

I did not expect knock down's and negativity.

I am not here to argue with people or egotistical admins.

Just thought id start a known issue online with people in the local area, where we could discuss the issue and YES, get something constructive happening. That was all. It has gone way off topic.

I still think its a thread that should have been left open and not closed, regardless if it is a complaint or a discussion. I have seen numerous COMPLAINT threads on boards.ie , so why now are people getting technical and splitting against a complaint and a discussion. I would put the two hand in hand myself and try and bring something positive out of it and to Portarlington.

I have gone to my local TD and County Council and NO im going no were near the hotel management. Thats a cul-de-sac!

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭stan1979

i'm based up in lansdowne and can hear the music fairly cleary if i am out the front of the house at night having a smoke, i just wish they would play some decent music instead:). i can understand garreths point though on the decibal level, unless your living in the estate behind it people probably wont understand how loud or annonying it can be,

stan

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

undecided wrote:
    bit strongly put stev o do ye not think? The phrase clicky springs to mind

Have to disagree with you there! He's right that the letter should be addressed to the hotel and posting here won't achieve anything
    I live in Portarlington and i know people do have an issue with the hotel's noise level.

There's never been a major issue made of it in 10+ years so I don't think a thread on boards is going to change that
    I did not expect knock down's and negativity.

Why?! It's a public forum, people are not going to agree with everything you say!!
    I am not here to argue with people or egotistical admins.

Instead your here to complain which idn't going to acheive anything!
    Just thought id start a known issue online with people in the local area, where we could discuss the issue and YES, get something constructive happening. That was all. It has gone way off topic.

Majority people here avoid the Hotel like the plag, and by the reaction of people it doesn't seem to affect any of them!
    I still think its a thread that should have been left open and not closed, regardless if it is a complaint or a discussion. I have seen numerous COMPLAINT threads on boards.ie , so why now are people getting technical and splitting against a complaint and a discussion. I would put the two hand in hand myself and try and bring something positive out of it and to Portarlington.

Because in other threads where people are complaining they don't put there name and address in the post, or post a letter to an establishment on an internet forum that has nothing to do with.
    I have gone to my local TD and County Council

Refer to my 1st point

• Advertisement

Try reading this it may or may not be of use to you...

Noise Regulations in Ireland

Particularly look at section 19.

Thanks Kamart... But i disagree with all your points and some of them are factually incorrect. Your a bit too shallow minded for me to fully reply to you.

Thanks Stevo. Interesting reading.

SO.... Am i right in saying that the people here on forum who live in Portarlington actually dont have any issue with the noise level of the hotel? and i am the only person in Portarlington that does?

I find that amazing to believe.

to be honest it doesn't really affect me as i live in behind a good few rows of houses so i dont tend to hear any of it.

but the fun fair last weekend on the other hand! i could hear that right up until it finished EVERY night!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

SO.... Am i right in saying that the people here on forum who live in Portarlington actually dont have any issue with the noise level of the hotel? and i am the only person in Portarlington that does?

You've asked two different questions here. It may be the case that you're the only person from Portarlington ~ who uses this website ~ who has a problem with the noise.

There may be others who don't use this site suffering with a similar issue.

I'd suggest querying the thoughts of neighbours and trying to form some sort of an action group. Following the steps set out in Steve O's link Noise Regulations in Ireland is to be advised.

Posting an open letter on a privately owned site like boards.ie is not to be advised. Someone could see your letter as being libellous, and could therefore take action against boards.ie.

I presume that the East End Hotel would take issue with claims that music continues to play until 3am, which would mean that the nightclub is continuing to operate until that time, which would be in contravention of it's licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Your a bit too shallow minded for me to fully reply to you.

Goin to explain how I'm shallow
    Am i right in saying that the people here on forum who live in Portarlington actually dont have any issue with the noise level of the hotel? and i am the only person in Portarlington that does?

I think there's a core of 10-12 people who post here from Port, and Ruby-J has just said it doesn't affect her, me and Steve are no longer near it...so that's 3 gone already!

Just cause people post here doesn't mean they represent the whole town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 smokestone

Have you looked into the law on public/private nuisance. Does the licence of a pub/hotel have to be renewed every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

why are people bitching at eachother!!

OP, as far as I know if your estate or area is in a Neighborhood watch committee then this type of thing can be looked at through them. I'm pretty sure each committee has a local guard sort of assigned to them so as a group you could make a complaint to that guard and see how that goes?

I couldn't hear anything ~ no funfair, no hotel, no anything.....except the fecking barking dogs but that's another story!

So in answer to your question, yes I live in Port and no none of these noises bother me..

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The nightclub in the hotel has been in existance for more than 25 years i think. It has to have its licence renewed every so often and AFAIK there has never been an issue with noise pollution.

I dont know the legal ins and outs but i would consider the fact that the nightclub existed long before many of the nearby new housing esttes, namely kilnacourt and whitefields, that its become an established feature.

If you are having problems hearing it from you bedroom a few hundred yards away i would seriously question the noise reduction capacity of the construction of your house elements, ie walls and windows. If its a fairly new house it has to comply with noise regulations.
    Perhaps you should look into this?

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    If you are having problems hearing it from you bedroom a few hundred yards away i would seriously question the noise reduction capacity of the construction of your house elements, ie walls and windows. If its a fairly new house it has to comply with noise regulations.
    Perhaps you should look into this?

This could be a cause alright, It honestly never bothered me when I lived in town.

Advertisement