Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stopping in third & Swords!

Options
  • 15-07-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

Okay a few questions.

I've been driving for the past three weeks, getting there and getting the hang of driving. Anyway, my instructor keeps telling me to stop in 3rd gear instead of going down to 2nd when stoping. I've been practising this, and the car struggles so I end up clutching in and coasting slightly - so I've been dropping into 2nd instead when I hear the car struggle.

I was wondering if I could fail my test over this? I have control over the car, don't coast and let engine braking slow me down.

And on the subject of the test, got a letter in the door today from SGS, saying I can book my test with them. I've been considering it so I can have a go before the summers end - but my question is Swords or Clonshaugh?

I live in Clonshaugh so I might have an advantage there that I could memorise the test route, but he told me not to be disappointed if I get Swords as apparently it's easier. Anyone have any opinions?

Has anyone done their test in Clonshaugh? And would they be kind enough to tell me to route :D

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

As for stopping in third, you can do so, coasting wont really be a problem. Generally speaking people pick up marks for coasting by holding the clutch in going around corners, as opposed to stopping in 3rd/4th. Now, for me i like to be in the correct gear for my speed so i would cycle through the gears, ie, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, stop. If you prefer doing things this way then by all means do so. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

My driving instructer also told me to stop in third gear if I wanted. Depends on the situation. If you feel the traffic is going to start moving again as you're breaking then shift down to 2nd and 1st if needed. If you know you're about to come to a complete stop then 3rd is fine. I stopped in 3rd alot on my test and passed.

With regards to which is easier, that shouldn't be a factor. No need to memorise the course or anything like that since the test centres have many routes which overlap on each other. Just go out and drive carefully and confidently. If you try to memorise the course and the tester takes an alternative route you might get confused and make a silly mistake.

Good luck with the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

my instructor said to me that you shouldnt by cycling down through the gears as your doing to many things at once.

slow down in the gear your in and at the a certain moment change to second.

dont coast but bring the clutch to the point needed where the engine wont stall. and then as the car is coming to a complete stop clutch down completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 layla13

I'm doint my test in a few weeks in Airside Swords Test Centre. Has anyone done it there.:):)

Advertisement