Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax not on display - Can you be fined???

Options
  • 15-07-2008 5:03pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A mate of mine was stopped at a garda checkpoint the other day and fined €60 as he didnt have his motor tax on display. He has the car taxed and just forgot to put in the disk in the holder but the garda in question was having none of it even though he offered to go straight home, collect the disk and produce it at his nearest garda station.. isnt there some sort of grace period for this?

Expensive lesson all the same?

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

It is an offence to fail to show your tax disc on your windscreen. It is a greater offence to fail to produce it. It is a greater offence again to fail to have any road tax.

Sorry, I don't see why your mate should be any different to the rest of us. Produce the disc and that'll be the end of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Calm down, I was merely asking.. :rolleyes:

Yes I do agree if the car is not taxed you should be fined, car confiscated or whatever, I was merely asking if there is a grace period??

He offered to produce the disk but was told its no good and he will be fined irrespective of whether its taxed or not, bit harsh but such is life.

Guess it was just an expensive mistake even if it was a genuine one.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No grace, unless the guard has a good day.
    Expensive mistakes are easiest to learn from

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Surely the first line of your post answered te title? If he was fined the the answer is obviously yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The grace period is one month after the expiry of the old disc - provided the old disc is displayed! Afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

esel wrote: »
    The grace period is one month after the expiry of the old disc - provided the old disc is displayed! Afaik.

There isn't a legal grace period AFAIK, just a "general kinda nod and wink, ya know whaha mean [ish]" one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's an offence to have a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place without road tax (there are some exceptions but they have little relation to the general motoring public). If the tax is paid and the relevant disc is not shown, then that's a separate offence (non display).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

esel wrote: »

There's no grace period. For insurance either. Or license.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

crosstownk wrote: »
    ...If the tax is paid and the relevant disc is not shown, then that's a separate offence (non display).

Ahh ok, I heard someone mentioning something about a grace period before on taxing a car but it does make sense about the non display fine..

As a previous poster said, the expensive ones are the ones you learn from..

Guess he will know better next time.. :D

Tox

Advertisement