Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of used clothes/items

Options
  • 15-07-2008 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

I'm doing a bit of a clearout at the moment and want to get rid of some stuff. I'm wondering is there anywhere in the city I can drop off things for charity besides having to go to the shop.

I know some bottle banks have a clothes bank with them. Would anyone recommend supporting one charity over another for this purpose? Can you put shoes/handbags/books in these banks?

Is there anywhere to get rid of clothes that are not good enough for resale? I've heard of old clothes being used for rags or something but I don't know who does this. I'm trying to avoid putting them in the grey bin if there's another option.

I've heard that the stickers and bags (actually, they don't give these anymore!) that come through the letterbox for collection on your doorsteps are untrustworthy/bogus/for profit.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Phone the St. Vincent de Paul or Simon shops and ask them to come out to your house and collect them. Anything they can sell is what you should leave out for collection.

The leaflets you get through the door with only a mobile number as a contact are generally not for charity but for profit.

Any non-wearable clothes should be used as rags for cleaning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Also anyone know where I can sell my novels and other books in town?

Not Charlie Byrnes or Book Exchange..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

age action take almost anything.... or cut them up yourself and bring them to local garages, might even get a free service,,,,, wouldnt that be nice:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I usually just pack everything into a big bag and drop it into the charity shop on Merchants Road

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

snubbleste wrote: »
    Also anyone know where I can sell my novels and other books in town?

Not Charlie Byrnes or Book Exchange..

bell book and candle, down by the crane bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

unfortunately, Bell Book and Candle don't take just any books (I tried to offload some chick lit I acquired, and they woudn't take it...)

You could try the bookshop attached to the GSPCA (at least I think they;re attached to that).

Advertisement