Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Helmets

Options
  • 15-07-2008 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

I know there have been quite a few previous threads regarding Aldi gear..sorry to bring it up again.. but I just wanted some specific feedback on their helmets on sale this Thursday.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/58_6410.htm

Seems very cheap. I don't wear one at the moment, but am getting more into cycling and am starting to value my head a bit more.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Better than none at all IMO but that could open flood gates here.

I find more expensive helmets fit better, are lighter and better ventilated.

Buy what you can afford and don't scrimp on safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The first concern is whether the helmet meets the minimum European safety standards. They probably do, as I imagine it is illegal to sell them here otherwise, but if you are thinking of buying one check for that on the box and/or helmet itself - I can't find any such safety info on the website. I believe the European standard is EN1078.

That should at least give you peace of mind that it will provide reasonable protection, and after that it is a matter of whether it is comfortable on your head and whether it will work with any sunglasses/glasses that you wear (and any high backpack you wear too) and for those you'll have to try it on to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

They look very much like one I bought in Argos 4 years ago, and still own.
    It is actually light and comfortable enough.
    As far as safety is concern, it is a 1 impact model. So 1 big crash and it will break, but that's the way it protects you.
    I think it is good value and will try to get one myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have a Lidl one. Have been looking for a better one buy finding it hard to find one I like the fit of.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

gzoladz wrote: »
    They look very much like one I bought in Argos 4 years ago, and still own.
    It is actually light and comfortable enough.
    As far as safety is concern, it is a 1 impact model. So 1 big crash and it will break, but that's the way it protects you.
    I think it is good value and will try to get one myself.
    All helmets work this way, even the most expensive; you should always replace a helmet after a crash in which the helmet is impacted.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote:
    All helmets work this way, even the most expensive; you should always replace a helmet after a crash in which the helmet is impacted.

What's more, the advice is also to replace a helmet even if you have done nothing more than drop it on the floor. Of course, few people will do so (me included) when you've spent a lot of money on a helmet, but it does actually make sense as any damage caused is not likely to be visible. That choice would be a lot easier if helmets were as cheap as the Aldi/Lidl ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

The mantra I've always believed is "Get a ten-euro helmet if you have a ten-euro head". However, with this being well known, I'm suspicious that the market might put a 50 euro tag on what should be a ten-euro helmet.

I'd be very interested to hear from an engineer/expert whether these helmets offer similar protection to the better known brands. Until I hear that they are equally good I'll persist with the well known and expensive brands.

I would prefix this with I don't know and am not expert but would be of the opinion that with the more expensive helmets you are paying more for things like lightness, increased comfort/ventilation, more aerodynamic design, etc. rather than increased protection for your head. If you have a look at any helmet manufacturer's website these are the sort of things they are emphasising as you move up in price, indeed I don't think I've ever seen "extra protection for your head" as a selling point for an expensive helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Aldi helmets are a bit like Aldi condoms; they probably meet the minimum safety standards but you just wouldn't go there...

The only way that a person can have any assurance whether a helmet is "safe" is by the official standards that it does or doesn't meet. There is a European standard, EN1078, which all helmets in this part of the world are required to meet, and unless a helmet states that it conforms to at least this standard then do not buy it.

Whether EN1078 conformity is sufficient though is another issue entirely, and there are good arguments in favour of looking at other standards instead (here for example, which compares some of the standards). However, it may be difficult to find helmets conforming to any other (possibly tougher) standards in this area o the world. Pick a standard that you are happy with and seek a helmet that conforms to at least that one.

My current helmet (and probably all my previous ones) states only that it conforms to EN1078. It cost about 10 times what the Aldi one is selling for, but if they both meet the same safety standard then there is no way of me knowing whether my more expensive one provides any greater protection than the cheaper one - maybe my one passes the minimum EN1078 requirements by a mile and the Aldi helmet scrapes through, or perhaps vice versa. So your only guide, as imprecise as it is, is whether the helmet meets the minimum standard that you want it to meet.

• Advertisement

Actually, the article that I link to above refers to this website: www.smf.org which has some very useful info in there for someone considering buying their first helmet. It also gives the details of the Snell standards (tougher standards than EN1078) and lists the bicycle helmets that meet them - it is a very short list and the only immediately familiar brands to me are Arai and Specialized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Thanks for the link. I was looking for that article a while back. As for the safety standards issue, there seems to be plenty of scope there for some engineering Ph.D. project or the like to study it properly.

<edit: Snell are already there from Doozer's link>

Do the helmets that off-roaders/snowboarders/BMXers use have a different minimum standard?

oobydooby wrote:
    Do the helmets that off-roaders/snowboarders/BMXers use have a different minimum standard?

For off-road cycling, the standards are usually the same, I believe. Sometimes you see specific off-road helmets which have a peak added at the front but I think the body of the helmet is largely the same as the road ones even in that case. There may be another standard for full-face helmets though, which are typically only used for downhill racing (and BMXers).

There is a separate Snell standard for snowboarding and skiing, and although I don't see one for skateboarders I would presume that they have a separate one too. I think the article I linked to earlier (or perhaps a different page that I stumbled across) talks about skateboarding in particular requiring different helments as skateboarders tend to fall on the backs of their heads while cyclists, for example, usually impact with the lower front edge of the helmets.

The skateboarding standards are definately different as standard skate helmets are not passed for cycling use- some cycle helmet manufacturers do "skate style" helmets that pass the cycling standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Make sure the maximum 59cm size is enough for you - I think I'd need something bigger than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Thanks for all the feedback. I got the helmet and it has the minimun safety requirements.
    Make sure the maximum 59cm size is enough for you - I think I'd need something bigger than this.

I forgot about my big fecking head, but it seems to fit..just. Picked up a tool bag, saddle cover, rucksack and a 'bits and pieces' belt. Fantastic value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Picked up one of these helmets myself, great value for money!

Advertisement