Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A positive customer care experience with Lidl!

Options
  • 15-07-2008 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Okay, maybe I was just being snobby, but I thought if you had an issue with one of the budget stores like Lidl, then you'd get absolutely nowhere, but I have to say OH had very positive dealings with them today!

He went in this morning to buy a couple of bottles of bleach and when he got home he realised that the seal of one of the bottles was broken and he had ruined his trousers and a rug he has in the back of his car with bleach. He was going to do nothing about it, but me being the nagging wife made him go back to the store!

He went back in and got talking to the asst manager. She was on the till but called someone to hop on in her place and took OH in to the office. She was really pleasant and sympathetic and said that although they couldn't do anything there and then, they would send the trousers off to head office along with an incident report and they would follow up. She even rang the manager to see was there anything more they could do. She took photos of the back of the car and said it was likely that head office would reimburse him for the trousers.

Now I know he hasn't being reimbursed yet, but he just felt the situation was dealt with very proffesionally and he wasn't made feel like he was a pain in her a**e. It's a lesson a lot of higher end stores could do with learning!

I'll let you know how he gets on...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I've found Aldi & Lidl to be excellent when it comes to customer service. They definitely show up the traditional grocery chains when it comes to treating the consumer. Their 28-day guarantee on products is an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

+1
    I've taken stuff back to Lidl a couple of times and never had any problem. Got a refund in one case (which they didn't have to do as I changed my mind, but chanced my arm) and got a replacement in another case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Either of Lidl or Aldi could teach Dunnes and Tesco a thing or two about customer service. Returning products has never been an issue, and they even give refunds well outside "normal" refund time frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭corkdave

Bought a power washer which lost its power within a year, but did not think of bringing it back. It is over a year now. The Aldi web site does not specify how long their guarantee lasts. Is it a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

corkdave wrote: »
    Bought a power washer which lost its power within a year, but did not think of bringing it back. It is over a year now. The Aldi web site does not specify how long their guarantee lasts. Is it a year?

iirc a lot of them are 3 year. But if you have your receipt it will say that on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭corkdave

Thanks.
    I should have added that I returned my daughter's portable DVD player after 7 months. By coincidence they had a similar brand in stock that week, but it was a few Euro cheaper and missing one tiny feature compared with the one my daughter had bought. They gave me the new DVD player and refunded me the difference in price! I know it was only a fiver or something, but I was gobsmacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Same here .Took back a car stereo that gave problems and got an instant full refund.Top marks to Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It's the little things like a staff member actually acknowledging your presence at the till even. How many times have we all barely even gotten a grunt in tesco or dunnes.

I know thats a generalization, but its by and large true.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

eth0_ wrote: »
    iirc a lot of them are 3 year. But if you have your receipt it will say that on it.

Yes most of them are 3 year. They normally have a big red dot with the number on the dot how many years its covered.
    0.556?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

Aldi and lidl always take stuff back without question in my experience. In the OPs case this is out of the ordinary and they proved they are not just no frills as such. Would love to have the same scenario with the other big supermarkets and see what they say. Tough luck you bought it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Have to say I'm impressed, I always assumed it was a Ryanair sort of set-up, it's cheap and cheerful, but if it goes wrong- tough sh!t.

OP, just a suggestion, but if you are that satisfied with the service you should write in to Lidl's head office complimenting the store and assistant manager believe me it'd make their day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Took a DVD player back yesterday, was nothign wrong with it, just not what I wanted, refunded without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

One thing I cant stand about lidl is the big queues and the one person behind the checkout. They could invest in some more checkout staff! Other than that, the store is A1.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Yeah, had a DVD player from 2007, wouldn't read disks after 9 months, they refunded me without a question. It really adds value to the electronic stuff that has the 3 year warranty.
    But... as in the post above, the checkouts are so annoying. I'm only in them to get one or two bits and I'm behind someone with a thousand items in the trolley! Now if they just had one of those '10 items or less' checkouts, I'm sure a lot more people would go in for just a few bits and pieces...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I wish they had baskets. We don't all shop by the trolley load.

Though maybe they they only have trolleys to encourage you to buy more....those crafty Germans

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

mikemac wrote: »

Though maybe they they only have trolleys to encourage you to buy more....those crafty Germans

your correct, thats the idea....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Davy wrote: »
    Yes most of them are 3 year. They normally have a big red dot with the number on the dot how many years its covered.
    0.556?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

Aldi and lidl always take stuff back without question in my experience. In the OPs case this is out of the ordinary and they proved they are not just no frills as such. Would love to have the same scenario with the other big supermarkets and see what they say. Tough luck you bought it

I think the op should buy a bottle of bleach in tesco ,dunnes and superquinns and then go in and show them all the picture of the trousers and car destroyed by bleach and check what they all say so we can get a fair comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

One thing I cant stand about lidl is the big queues and the one person behind the checkout. They could invest in some more checkout staff! Other than that, the store is A1.
    this keeps costs down and also i have always found the tills in both aldi and lidl very fast and easy to get through.
    Simon201 wrote: »
    the checkouts are so annoying. I'm only in them to get one or two bits and I'm behind someone with a thousand items in the trolley! Now if they just had one of those '10 items or less' checkouts, I'm sure a lot more people would go in for just a few bits and pieces...
    all customers are equal whether you are spending €10 or €1000!
    mikemac wrote: »

M5 wrote: »
    your correct, thats the idea....
    not having baskets also keeps costs down as baskets cost the other supermarkets a small fortune each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

delllat wrote: »
    I think the op should buy a bottle of bleach in tesco ,dunnes and superquinns and then go in and show them all the picture of the trousers and car destroyed by bleach and check what they all say so we can get a fair comparison

Happens at least twice a month, each case is treated seperatly but I am not aware of any claims that were knocked back.

BTW, it is so dangerous to open washing liquid, conditioner, shampoo, hand wash etc and then put it back on the shelf, when we investigate these instances, it is usually the last person who left a bottle open. At best it will cause you to loose a pair of trousers at worst it could spill over a child in a trolley. ( I know this situation was different as the seal was broken).

Advertisement