Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much stone for road???

• 15-07-2008 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Here are the details:

410m long
    14 foot wide
    ill be going max 1 foot deep. wont need that everywhere. but allow for it
    2" cut stone.

Question, How many 20T loads will i need, I have a number in my head but i decided to just throw it out there for estimates:confused:.

thanks LNB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i think its roughly 12-13 cubic metres in a truck. so i estimate 40 trucks. thats not taking into account of the compaction of the 2" stone.

hope the maths was right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just a rough guess - I think you will need a load for every 10.00m so around 41 x 20 tonne loads. I am open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

thats what i was thinkin. least we on same page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Martron wrote: »
    i think its roughly 12-13 cubic metres in a truck. so i estimate 40 trucks. thats not taking into account of the compaction of the 2" stone.

hope the maths was right
    That is roughly what I calculated as well.
    410m x 4.26m x .3048 = 532m3
    532m3/13= 41 loads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Sam Kade wrote: »
    That is roughly what I calculated as well.
    410m x 4.26m x .3048 = 532m3
    532m3/13= 41 loads

My road was 450m long and same width as yours and took 50 loads to leave it passable with lorries. I bought lorry loads of blast rock at €150 per load (20 - 25 ton). My digger driver buried the larges rock in the bottom and pulled the dusty stuff from the loads over the top which set into a nice solid roadway.

Regards

Dan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MrLNB

reilig wrote: »
    My road was 450m long and same width as yours and took 50 loads to leave it passable with lorries. I bought lorry loads of blast rock at €150 per load (20 - 25 ton). My digger driver buried the larges rock in the bottom and pulled the dusty stuff from the loads over the top which set into a nice solid roadway.

Regards

Dan

Hi,
    Thanks all, yes about 4-45 loads i was thinking.

Dan, long road, only a small bit longer than mine. any tips for when laying it. Did you bring any utilities through pipes before laying it?

I hope the 2" stone will suffice and later maybe a coat of maintenance, after house is finished.

getting quotes of €6,700 for 35 lorry loads.

LNB

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sparky78

MrLNB wrote: »
    Hi,

Dan, long road, only a small bit longer than mine. any tips for when laying it. Did you bring any utilities through pipes before laying it?

I hope the 2" stone will suffice and later maybe a coat of maintenance, after house is finished.

LNB

I heard 8-8.50 a ton delivered in the south dublin-Kildare area for 4".
    You could also look at recycled concrete which would be less again and just as good for roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Did you bring any utilities through pipes before laying it?

Good idea to allow for driveway lighting while you're laying a driveway that length.
    Also, if there's ever a possibility of you putting in electric gates, get ducts in for cable for that now too aswell as a line for intercom.

If the drive is not straight, make sure any bends on it are gentle enough for oil lorries / fire engine (not normally a problem, but I've had one job where the gradient of the site meant we needed to widen the driveway at bends to allow for adequate turning). 14' is plenty wide for access, but at 410 metres long, it might be an idea to have a 'parking' space off to one side of it where you can pull a car in if you meet another coming in the opposite direction - saves wing mirrors, and mileage clocked up reversing to avoid each other.

You might also want to want to buy a trailer .... for your bins:D

410 metres is some distance to be dragging them in the rain .....

Supertech wrote: »

If the drive is not straight, make sure any bends on it are gentle enough for oil lorries / fire engine (not normally a problem, .....

I have a fairly gentle curve on my driveway and lorry drivers appear to have no problem coming in, but reversing out they tend to go wide and front wheel slips off onto the verge - I had to widen by about 1/2 metre around the outside end of the curve (or start going in) to allow for the steering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Quarried rock has an average bulk density of around 1.4/1.5 tonnes per cubic metre, depends really on the rock type.
    So your pretty much bang on if its limestone your getting.

Some quarries might have screenings or fill which would be about inch/inch and half down which you could get for cheaper. Not sure how suitable it would be for making a driveway though. At the end of the day transport is probably biggest factor in the cost, so pick the quarry nearest you.

• Advertisement

Sundy wrote: »
    At the end of the day transport is probably biggest factor in the cost, so pick the quarry nearest you.

Theres a quarry half a mile away from me they charge me the same for transport as a quarry that is 25 miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

MrLNB wrote: »
    Hi,

LNB

I had no utilities to lay as they were already at the site and I don't plan on putting any lighting or electric gates on the roadway.

I don't know how 2" down will stick together when lorries are going across it. Would you not try to get something a bit bigger with some dusty stuff through it to finish the top. 2" stone can move quite a bit when you run 30 - 40 ton across it a few times. Bigger stone will stay together much better when lorries go across it and when the house is built, you can just put some 804 on top and roll it in to make a finished road for cars to pass on.

Well this is what I've done and it has worked well so far. All of the heavy lorries have gone across it and it hasn't moved very much. I've seen other roadways made with smaller stone that have moved an awful lot more.

Regards

Dan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Theres a quarry half a mile away from me they charge me the same for transport as a quarry that is 25 miles away.
    Thats kind of strange with the price of diesel these days. The quarries and pits i have first hand experience of charge for transport per radial kilometer.

Sundy wrote: »
    Thats kind of strange with the price of diesel these days. The quarries and pits i have first hand experience of charge for transport per radial kilometer.
    It was last september it was the same cost of transport from both quarries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭MrLNB

thanks guys. yeah the road has 2 nice bends in it, but i will be trying to take these as wide as possible.

I never thought of going anything bigger. i might look into it. I will be laying utilities, eircom been No 1

Advertisement