Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a BTX motherboard that supports Core2Duo

Options
  • 15-07-2008 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

I have a Dell precision 390, with a Pentium D 3.2 GHz EM64T processor, in a BTX form factor motherboard with a socket 775.

I need to get a faster processor, and the Core2Duo E8500 comes in at a good price, but I'll need to upgrade the motherboard - but is that even possible?

Asus don't seem to do BTX motherboards, and I've tried a couple of online retailers for BTX MBs but without any luck.

Even Intel -who designed the board, are pretending that it never existed:
    http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboard/index.htm?iid=mbd_body+dt_all

Has anybody found a way to get an upgrade to a Core2Duo when they have a BTX motherboard?

Thanks,
    Brian
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Buy a m-atx motherboard you like, if it doesnt fit in the dell case, buy a new case....

Thats it. That is all you can do really.

Or try to mod the dell case to fit the new motherboard.

You may also need a new psu if the one in the dell won't power a standard m-atx motherboard.

It may actually be worth your while just to build new from scratch and sell you dell or find another use for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Thanks uberpixie, I'll look into the mini ATX boards.

Selling isn't an option really at the moment - this is work thing, I've got 8 of these machines, and I'm just tryng to squeeze an extra 9 - 12 months out of them before replacing them with new machines the nehalem processor.

New processors and motherboards would be worth spending 240 odd euros on, having to go through the hassle of getting cases aswell is starting to sound like a bit of headche.

Brian

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Even if you find a new BTX motherboard it wont play nice in a Dell.. What if they don't use the standard 24 pin ATX plug, what if the front panel pinouts are proprietary etc etc

If you have put up with Pentium Ds until now, Save your self a lot of hassle and wait the few months until Nehalem is out

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dell
    Have fun not being able to reinstall Windows with your Dell disc. The disc will run on a dell system. New motherboard & new CPU... doubt it will reinstall, if you ever need to do so. Just keep it in mind.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

the_syco wrote: »
    Have fun not being able to reinstall Windows with your Dell disc. The disc will run on a dell system. New motherboard & new CPU... doubt it will reinstall, if you ever need to do so. Just keep it in mind.
    The windows disk should work, I used a dell windows disk when I had to re-install windows on a packard bell pc which had no disks and it worked like a charm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

The windows disk should work, I used a dell windows disk when I had to re-install windows on a packard bell pc which had no disks and it worked like a charm

+1

I have done it on different pc's before as well, you may have to ring microsoft to activate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The old Xp disks were locked down to Dell machines, now they just ask for a key in other systems. The new Vista cds are once again locked down to Dells.

Advertisement