Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling the Deep South on route to oz

• 15-07-2008 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

I’m going to Oz for a year to work later this year and am planning my route.

I’ve been to SE Asia and as much as I loved it I don’t want to go back somewhere I’ve already been to.
    With the dollar at a low at the moment, I’m thinking it would be a good idea to go to the States. I’ve always loved the thought of the Deep South, I think its real cool and would love to see it so am thinking of trying to find a cheap flight to New York or somewhere and make my way down south. I’m thinking maybe Tennessee, Texas, Nevada, Arizona are the kind of places id like to see.

Is there a greyhound bus or something I could use to get across the county?
    Will there be many people doing the same thing (ill be traveling on my own this time round).
    Are the Southerners friendly and fun to party with?
    Roughly how long will this take me to do, I’m thinking maybe 5-6weeks, anyone ideas of costs? I’ll be staying in hostels I think.

I’m thinking this is going to cost a lot more than going to Asia but I think it will be worth it, flights alone are going to cost me a bomb by the looks of it….but South America looks even more expensive, difficult and probably not as safe so I’m happy with the idea of the States.

Any other thoughts/comments and opinions would be welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Im doing something similar, dont know why you want to go into the deep south though!?

I plan on flying into Toronto, staying in canada with a mate for a couple of weeks, getting a bus down to New York, staying there a few nights, the down to Washington DC, Kentucky and then to Tennesse. From there Im going to either fly to Arizona, then into Vegas in Nevada and then to LA and out to Oz from there, well thats a rough plan anyway, we;ll see how my finacial situation works out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I did that route
    I went Big East coast cities -> Atlanta -> Nashville -> Memphis -> Little Rock -> Austin -> Dallas (I would have liked to see more but that hurricane just hit New Orleans at the time)

We greyhounded the route, the over night trips are long and tiring, and people were pretty friendly to us. Americans don't really use public transport however.

I found southerners very friendly and were over the moon just to meet some people from Europe, Texas and Tennessee were some of my fav parts of america

we did it in around 3 weeks, but then again, we had to leave out some parts due to hurricane, spent 3 days in all the cities above, except for little rock, which we spent a day, mainly to break up the journey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What a class journey to take. Would love to take a year just to do the states. Someday.

However, the places you mention dont cover much of the Deep South.
    I think the Deep South covers Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina, Texas and Florida.

You may not have the time for all these places but New Orleans is in Louisiana! Not to be missed. Atlanta in Georgia is supposed to be a cool spot too and dont forget the ultimate cliche of a city called savannah.

Go for it!

hussey wrote: »
    I did that route
    I went Big East coast cities -> Atlanta -> Nashville -> Memphis -> Little Rock -> Austin -> Dallas (I would have liked to see more but that hurricane just hit New Orleans at the time)

We greyhounded the route, the over night trips are long and tiring, and people were pretty friendly to us. Americans don't really use public transport however.

I found southerners very friendly and were over the moon just to meet some people from Europe, Texas and Tennessee were some of my fav parts of america

we did it in around 3 weeks, but then again, we had to leave out some parts due to hurricane, spent 3 days in all the cities above, except for little rock, which we spent a day, mainly to break up the journey.

Cool. Was it expensive?

Did you stay in motels or hostels?

looks like im going to be doing this on my own - will this be much of a problem? im a very socialble guy but goign to a bar on my own would feel a bit weird, would be hoping to get some friends in bars along the way.

So theres very few other backpackers - cool thats what i like to hear!!

Ouch just had a look at the price of hostels in the US, average works out at between 25-30 euros a night! Thats a bit much i think...may have to reconsider based on that

• Advertisement

Cool. Was it expensive?

Did you stay in motels or hostels?

looks like im going to be doing this on my own - will this be much of a problem? im a very socialble guy but goign to a bar on my own would feel a bit weird, would be hoping to get some friends in bars along the way.

So theres very few other backpackers - cool thats what i like to hear!!

America isn't really a hostel place, only in big cities, we stayed in Hostels when we could, but once out of big cities this wasn't an option.

Atlanta, Austin had hostels, but that was it, most of the rest we stayed in Hotels/Motels and they were only $10 each more pricey

Bars are not a problem, but if I was going again I would only go to Nashville, Memphis, Austin, the rest I wouldn't bother with. people were friendly and talkative, so bars were not a problem,

I had a look at theres a few hostesl in new York. I wanted hostesl rather than hotels/motels so that i could make some friends. Si its definetly not like Oz where you can pick up friends in minutes....but if im only there for a month or so i shoudl have no real problems.

Im plannig 3 days or so in New York, somewhere in Virigina, Washington DC, Kentucky and Nashville before I fly to California and spend a couple of weeks over there.

The more I research the more the thought of going to Oz via Asia becomes appealling though....but with the weak dollor this is the best time to go i think.

I must say though i love that accent on the women from Virginia, Tennesse etc, one of the reasons im going :-)

Im going to keep researching and digging for information and see what I think, lamps dont mind that i hijacked his thread wither, hes not going anymore! So anyone with information keep it coming!

The cost has me a little worried now.

I had a look at theres a few hostesl in new York. I wanted hostesl rather than hotels/motels so that i could make some friends. Si its definetly not like Oz where you can pick up friends in minutes....but if im only there for a month or so i shoudl have no real problems.

Im plannig 3 days or so in New York, somewhere in Virigina, Washington DC, Kentucky and Nashville before I fly to California and spend a couple of weeks over there.

The more I research the more the thought of going to Oz via Asia becomes appealling though....but with the weak dollor this is the best time to go i think.

I must say though i love that accent on the women from Virginia, Tennesse etc, one of the reasons im going :-)

Im going to keep researching and digging for information and see what I think, lamps dont mind that i hijacked his thread wither, hes not going anymore! So anyone with information keep it coming!

The cost has me a little worried now.

I stayed in a place called Big Apple Hostel in NYC, was really clean and friendly and very close to teh action - would recommend it.
    Wash DC is not where you stay, you can stay in Virgina and commute to DC!!
    Wash DC pretty much closes down after 6pm, as it is more of a commuter town. It's prob what you meant, but just clarifying, it's a great place to visit.

If heading to Nashville, make sure you go to the Honky-Tonk bars, such a laugh. Also Memphis is about 3hrs away, and a really good place too, defo worth a visit in my opnion. I would try to make a weekend in one of these places - great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dsup

I lived in the Deep South (Georgia) for 14 years and can say we are definetly a friendly bunch :D

Advertisement