Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarkozy: Ireland needs to vote on Lisbon again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Predictable ok, from the perspective of the EU grandees someone had to say it sooner or later.

The other reason for adopting this stance is probably to keep the pressure on those who have not yet ratified, he's trying to diminish the "It's dead anyway since Ireland rejected it" argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

And they wonder why we voted no... it's the arrogant nature of most Eu politicians, not least Sarkozy, that had a large number of people suspicious of the Treaty, and rightly so. If this is the way our 'compatriot' European leaders view our democratic decisions, then the EU can go to hell in my book if they think they can bully us into another 'Nice II' situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Let France vote again first Mr. Sarkozy ;)

murphaph wrote: »
    Let France vote again first Mr. Sarkozy ;)

+1 and the Netherlands too :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Mr Sarkozy said: 'The Irish will have to vote again'

Last time I checked Mr Sarkozy, you were French not Irish so why don't you keep your mouth shut and look after your own country?

The day the French tell us to do anything will be the day hell freezes over and Brian Cowen drops to 6 stone in weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

DarkJager wrote: »
    The day the French tell us to do anything will be the day hell freezes over and Brian Cowen drops to 6 stone in weight.

Are you offering odds on Hell Freezing over Vs. Cowens Weight Loss????

Give me a ton on Hell Freezing over

[Edit: troll removed, response void] :o

*mono* wrote: »
    Are you offering odds on Hell Freezing over Vs. Cowens Weight Loss????

Give me a ton on Hell Freezing over

+1 :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Democracy, its great.

Didn't vote last time, couldn't care less tbh, but i will be voting NO at the next vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭BizzyLizzy

"Sarko Wants to Give Dublin the Mugabe Treatment"

http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/3380

I will DEFINITELY be voting NO - again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Last time the French tried to do something about the political situation in Ireland they didn't get much further than Castlebar.

Can someone go and tell that French gnome to go and mind his own business ? As far as I know the French gave the constitution a sound kick up the backside as well. If there would have been a constitutional obligation to vote on the Lisbon treaty in France I'm quite confident it would have gone the same way as in Ireland.

If there would have been a constitutional obligation to vote on the Lisbon treaty in France I'm quite confident it would have gone the same way as in Ireland.

This is what really gets me. The French people voted against this constitution. They are then presented with a 96% identical 'treaty' and refused a vote (no doubt in response to their earlier refusal to pander to the whims of Brussels). The fact is that the 26 other nations of the EU are being denied a say in their future by their own elected governments. If that were me I'd be screaming bloody revolution :mad: But that's just me apparently :(

I believe our Mr. Sarkozy sees a certain parallel between himself and another famous Frenchman of equally short stature...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dubman25

He didnt try get his french people to re-vote when they said no because he knew there would of being a up roar!
    Imagine somebody that doesnt give a sh*t about ireland trying to tell us what to do...:eek:hopefully somebody will be in dublin airport next week with a snipers rifle:Dshow him what we think of him:cool:

dubman25 wrote: »
    hopefully somebody will be in dublin airport next week with a snipers rifle:Dshow him what we think of him:cool:

he'd have a feeling of deja vu in that case, what with the whole Israeli fiasco a few weeks ago :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

This is what really gets me. The French people voted against this constitution. They are then presented with a 96% identical 'treaty' and refused a vote (no doubt in response to their earlier refusal to pander to the whims of Brussels). The fact is that the 26 other nations of the EU are being denied a say in their future by their own elected governments. If that were me I'd be screaming bloody revolution :mad: But that's just me apparently :(
    Last time the French tried to do something about the political situation in Ireland they didn't get much further than Castlebar.

Can someone go and tell that French gnome to go and mind his own business ? As far as I know the French gave the constitution a sound kick up the backside as well. If there would have been a constitutional obligation to vote on the Lisbon treaty in France I'm quite confident it would have gone the same way as in Ireland.

Sigh... This has been done to death, but anyway: It was part of Sarkozy's pre-election mandate in France that he would ratify the Lisbon Treaty without a referendum if he was elected, and yet the French public still elected him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,593 ✭✭✭✭kippy

He didnt try get his french people to re-vote when they said no because he knew there would of being a up roar!
    Imagine somebody that doesnt give a sh*t about ireland trying to tell us what to do...:eek:hopefully somebody will be in dublin airport next week with a snipers rifle:Dshow him what we think of him:cool:
    Lads,
    Quick query,
    If the French Electorate are so pissed off with not getting to vote on this surely they will take this out on the current government when the next elections come round (this can be said of all countries). How likely do ye think the current Dutch and French governments will be ousted as a result of this (bearing in mind that the main opposition in those two countries (like our own) are pro treaty as well?

I dont think we should have to vote again on this treaty (in its current state) despite voting Yes the first time. The politicians have been given a clear indicator of what they have to do to get this to pass, so far there has been little or no attempt to do this.
    Kippy

he'd have a feeling of deja vu in that case, what with the whole Israeli fiasco a few weeks ago :rolleyes:
    we can be accurate this time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Bloddy EU. I'll be even more determined to vote no if they try this vote again until we get the result we want.Is this EU thing a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

[QUOTE= I believe our Mr. Sarkozy sees a certain parallel between himself and another famous Frenchman of equally short stature...:p[/QUOTE]

Who, sweet irony, met defeat a stonethrow from Brussels. Even more ironic : the man in charge of the opposing side was born in Ireland.

the country is in a state and all we are going to hear is "big cowen" saying that he wants to vote again.I just hope the irish people react to him and tell him and his lips to pi*s off:Pshove your yes up your beep beep:D

• Advertisement

the man in charge of the opposing side was born in Ireland.

And also invented wellies apparently :p

Apologies, in al seriousness if a second referendum occurs we should vote NO again. Imagine the results of a second and even stronger No vote- even Sarko couldn't fob that off!

no means no...maybe cowen can bring him to spec-savers and he will clearly see the word Nooooooooo:pac:french pr*ick

And also invented wellies apparently :p

Apologies, in al seriousness if a second referendum occurs we should vote NO again. Imagine the results of a second and even stronger No vote- even Sarko couldn't fob that off!

we wont be doing a re-vote if it is to go because alot of people will orgainse to get together and demand no means no etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

What happens if the vote is no again? Best of five?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

no means no...maybe cowen can bring him to spec-savers and he will clearly see the word Nooooooooo:pac:french pr*ick
    No need for that. I don't want the EU to get any more influence but I have nothing but friendship for my european neighbours. We're all ordinary joes-it's the political elite I reserve my dislike for. The French people already said NO and isn't Sarkozy Hungarian anyway? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'm voting no again even if I have to be carried there :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

we wont be doing a re-vote if it is to go because alot of people will orgainse to get together and demand no means no etc

What does etc mean here? Does this mean a regurgitation of the falsehoods that entertained us the first time out or perhaps some real enlightenment?

kowloon wrote: »
    What happens if the vote is no again? Best of five?

Well we're up to 4 on abortion and still no end in sight. You plan on scrapping those as well?

If I was a wavering voter that would do it for me.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

kippy wrote: »
    The politicians have been given a clear indicator of what they have to do to get this to pass...
    They have?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

To pass Lisbon to the politicians liking:
    • Cowan should call a general election in the morning.
    • Cowan, Kenny, and Gilmore all say that if they lead the next irish government, they will ratify Lisbon without a referendum. (regardless of the constitutional implications)
    • One of the three main parties does lead the next government, because no one wants to see the extreme SF party lead the country.
    • Lisbon is ratified.

I wonder how much of a factor Lisbon was in fact in the last French election. If it is anything like here, Europe is very rarely a factor in national elections, and while it gave Sarkozy his mandate, i wonder....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I am appalled by Sarkozy with all this stuff. We voted no and thats that.

How would they have felt if a couple of years ago when they rejected more or less the same treaty and our Taoiseach went over (or whoever was president of EU at the time). The French would be out protesting and telling us they have talked through their vote and democracy was upheld.

Advertisement