Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm moving to Dublin

Options
  • 15-07-2008 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

Hello, I will be moving to Dublin in Sept to study for a masters and will probably wind up staying indefinitely. I will be living in the city and I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect. I have been to visit a few times but I realise living in a place is a much different experience to holidaying there. So, whats the 4-1-1*?

:pac:

Witty/sarcastic responses encouraged.

*Story

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Where will you be studying? I wouldn't recommend living in the city no matter what. Somewhere central enough though like Rathmines, Kilmainham or Fairview would be as close as you could get and still have parking and much less noise.
    My ex lived in the city centre and I hated staying in her place, the noise was unbearable every single night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Trinity. I will be looking to get official campus accom, so either trinity hall (rathmines?) or somewhere central. I only drive a scooter anyway, so parking is no problem for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Bring lots of money.

Where are you from btw?

Cork.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Onkle wrote: »
    Where will you be studying? I wouldn't recommend living in the city no matter what. Somewhere central enough though like Rathmines, Kilmainham or Fairview would be as close as you could get and still have parking and much less noise.
    My ex lived in the city centre and I hated staying in her place, the noise was unbearable every single night

I live in the city centre and it is completely silent everynight, you must have been unlucky

• Advertisement

Ah thought it was abroad, you're used to the expense so.

I don't think you've much to learn really, it's pretty similiar to Cork (I stay in Blackrock a fair bit) except bigger, and better accents :p

tribulus wrote: »
    Ah thought it was abroad, you're used to the expense so.

I don't think you've much to learn really, it's pretty similiar to Cork (I stay in Blackrock a fair bit) except bigger, and better accents :p

Yeah, I'm sure the culture will be no problem, but just places you guys like to eat/drink/hangout? Stuff like that?

Oh right.

I like the Epicurean food hall on Abbey St. for eating cheapish but filling meals (Chinese buffet for about 10E). There's several others around too.

Trinity itself is great to hang around in when the weathers nice. You'll quickly become accustomed to drinking cans by the Pav etc.

Bars depends entirely on the person, plenty of cheap, studenty places but they're usually not the best venues.

Considering you'll be in town or Rathmines etc. then you'll pick it up pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

I moved up for an internship last April and will never move back home to Cork. People think different things but I'm loving it up here and have no regrets moving whatsoever!

In regards to accommodation, if you're staying in Trinity Halls you'll be sorted. Very close to the Luas (Cowper/Milltown) if it's raining and only about 30 mins walk into town. If you're not staying in Trinity Halls, like everyone else has suggested I'd move out of town. Trinitiy is in the city centre so getting there shouldn't be a problem. It's on the Dart line and most bus routes and it's literally a 5 minute walk from the Luas (red or green line). We're out in Stillorgan and it's only about 20 mins on the bus - the 46A is reliable unlike the stupid no. 5 in Cork :rolleyes:

In regards to social life, it depends on what you like to do. If you're into Rearden's/Long Island in Cork you'll like D2, Dicey Riley's, Krystle all on Harcourt Street. If you're more Brog, The Quad, Franciscan Well, there's The Hairy Lemon (like ex-brog :)), Bruxelles, Fibbers, Doyles... The Pav in Trinity itself is great craic too! There's so much more in Dublin in comparison to Cork I think.

For eateries, Cafe Bar Deli on Sth Georges St is like the one on French Church St in Cork, it's savage I think. There's The Good World Chinese that serves dim sum, Yamamori, and Darwins is also good. The Temple Bar Market on Saturdays do savage food.

For places to hang out, Dun Laoghaire is nice to chill out or even grab the Dart to Greystones and hang out on the beach. There's so many more parks too - Marlay Park, Bushy Park, Deer Park, St. Anne's Park, Phoenix Park...

I hope you love it as much as I do OP, whenever I go home I'm only there for a max 2 days and I'm already bored. "I suppose we'll go to the Brog/Fitzgerald's Park/Mahon Point again"...

Aspiration wrote: »
    "I suppose we'll go to the Brog/Fitzgerald's Park/Mahon Point again"...

Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I live in the city centre and it is completely silent everynight, you must have been unlucky

Well her apartment was at the end of temple bar

Advertisement