Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do women below Size 8 Disgust you ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be honest I think you should take your pity and generalisations and shove 'em where the sun don't shine. Who are you Dr. Boards Poster to say what is or isn't healthy?? :rolleyes: Maybe you should go fatten up that narrow mind of yours.

????
    I really don't know what you are attacking me over.

The OP asked a question- its "after hours", I gave a reply. I wasn't responding to you- to be quite honest I haven't a clue who you are, and even if I did, my reply isn't aimed at you. The OP asked a general question- I gave a general answer.

Contrary to what other people's opinions here regarding Kiera Knightly are, personally I find her nauseating, being so thin doesn't suit her (Pirates of the Caribbean at Worlds End being a case in point)- but there are very small girls out there who being a size 6 or whatever suits them down to the ground. Similarly there are 6foot plus women who being a size 14 or even bigger- suits them. Its the skeletal women who are trying to prove something- perhaps to themselves, who are unhealthy. I've friends who suffered from anorexia and refused to acknowledge they had a problem- even when they were eventually hospitalised. Thats unhealthy.

In any case, you also have no idea who I am- and are in no position to posture as to whether I have a narrow mind or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Dudess has a very valid point, but she is incorrect in suggesting that all skinny girls are unhealthy.

Still the problem with the popularisation of ultra skinny girls in the media is a big one which does cause many young girls around the world to develop eating disorders.

Anyone remember that show Louise Redknapp did when she went down to a size 0 for a month I think?

She looked and said she felt horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

smccarrick wrote: »
    ????
    I really don't know what you are attacking me over.

The OP asked a question- its "after hours", I gave a reply. I wasn't responding to you- to be quite honest I haven't a clue who you are, and even if I did, my reply isn't aimed at you. The OP asked a general question- I gave a general answer.

Contrary to what other people's opinions here regarding Kiera Knightly are, personally I find her nauseating, being so thin doesn't suit her (Pirates of the Caribbean at Worlds End being a case in point)- but there are very small girls out there who being a size 6 or whatever suits them down to the ground. Similarly there are 6foot plus women who being a size 14 or even bigger- suits them. Its the skeletal women who are trying to prove something- perhaps to themselves, who are unhealthy. I've friends who suffered from anorexia and refused to acknowledge they had a problem- even when they were eventually hospitalised. Thats unhealthy.

In any case, you also have no idea who I am- and are in no position to posture as to whether I have a narrow mind or not.
    Maybe Kiera Knightley isn't actually trying to prove anything. Maybe she just enjoys not being a fat ass.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

smccarrick - I think she's taking issue with you viewing girls like herself with 'curiosity and pity'. I can see why she took umbrage with that tbh.

If I said I viewed Northsiders or boggers with that same mix I'd expect an angry response :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love how people think that below a size 8 is always unhealthy. Some people are just naturally skinny, like me.

But go ahead with your generalisations. Sure I'm only a skinny little thing, I can wear anything I want, get any man I want, and get by on my one lettuce leaf a day. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, having grown up being called anorexic because my legs were, and are, like sticks, I don't appreciate generalisations like this. I've tried to put on a bit of weight, it doesn't work. That's just how I am. I eat normally.

Funny how those who have told me I must be anorexic would never tell a fat person that they are fat. Think it hurts any less to be constantly told to eat something? Not likely.

For what it's worth, Keira Knightly and other such people are way too skinny and I don't think they are attractive, but not all people under size 8 look like that.

Ahhhhhhh! This topic makes me so angry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ass Face wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of bitter fat birds in this thread.
    My contributions to this thread are below, oh aptly named one. Read them thoroughly and identify the proof that I'm (a) bitter and (b) fat.
    Dudess wrote: »
    Dude... if a chick like her was photographed in a concentration camp we'd all be upset and horrified!

Curvy ftw - not curvy meaning fat, as that is also unattractive, women who are slim and toned but have ass, hips, thighs and boobs, such as:

monica-bellucci-picture-3.jpg
    scarlett_johansson.jpg
    salma_hayek_37.jpg
    259052~Heidi-Klum-Posters.jpg
    doctorshilpa.jpg
    ditacup.jpg

Keira Knightley is so pretty, and would be breathtaking if she wasn't so boney. She's not a girl who'd ever have major curves I'd say, but even if she was just the healthy side of skinny...
    As long as there are people who have been conditioned to believe those perfectly healthy, slim women are "a little too big" there will be girls with eating disorders.

Sad.
    It's symptomatic of the attitudes that cause eating disorders though. Not so much that you'd fancy the likes of Keira Knightley - she is very beautiful after all. But the way you said they're "a little too big".
    Dudess has a very valid point, but she is incorrect in suggesting that all skinny girls are unhealthy.
    Sorry chopper but I did not suggest that at all. I merely said that skinniness (extreme skinniness, not slimness) doesn't look good. I still conceded that Keira Knightley is extremely beautiful.
    Ass Face wrote: »
    Maybe Kiera Knightley isn't actually trying to prove anything. Maybe she just enjoys not being a fat ass.
    Meh, if she just managed to put on enough padding to cover those prominent ribs and hip bones and to develop a few even small curves, she'd still be very slim and not even close to being a "fat ass".

But there is the school of thought that men who claim to fancy women who have bodies like scrawny teenage boys... well, you know where I'm going...

But there is the school of thought that men who claim to fancy women who have bodies like scrawny teenage boys... well, you know where I'm going...

*adds Dudess to enemies list*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭beautiation

I hope not. Until I run into a teenage boy with a face like Keira Knightley's, happily this will stay a hidden issue for me!

Oh, and I think I read somewhere that Keira Knightley has some genetic thing which means she's gonna be very thin regardless of how much she eats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Phlann wrote: »
    smccarrick - I think she's taking issue with you viewing girls like herself with 'curiosity and pity'. I can see why she took umbrage with that tbh.

Cheers Phlann. And I'd wager that smccarrick knows full well why I got annoyed too. Funny how quickly he put her in reverse though isn't it..

• Advertisement

It's dreadfully unfair to say very slim women are disgusting - I've several mates who are tiny little things (size 6 to 8) and gorgeous. But they're not boney, that's the difference I'm referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's dreadfully unfair to say very slim women are disgusting - I've several mates who are tiny little things (size 6 to 8) and gorgeous. But they're not boney, that's the difference I'm referring to.

Exactly! Problem is that people automatically think of size 6-8 as being boney and unhealthy, which is just not always the case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 haubinda87

Wow, some of the replies to this thread are hysterical, and in some cases perhaps the ramblings of envious and bitter women.

Did it ever cross your poor, malnourished minds that there are women out there, who are a size 8/6/4 and yet have curves and bodies that are small-framed yet in proportion?

I'm tired of hearing some women rant on about their feminine, curvaceous, ''real wo-maan'' bodies, when in fact a lot of them are size 14 or over with absolutely no sense of proportion to their bodies, and just can't be assed to get it that way.

Whatever makes you feel better! Just a reminder that a size 8 or under is not neccessarily unhealthy, not neccessarily a sign of anorexia, and not neccessarily "disgusting", "bony" or any other adjective you choose to fling its way. And yes, some men do indeed find a size 8 or less attractive, in the same way some men love a fuller figure. Time to get over it.

Dudess come off it with the "guys who like thin women are gay" implication because I'm sure straight men, thin women and homosexuals would have a few bones to pick with that (puns all over the shop, unintentional). Honestly if anyone else said that they'd be accused of trolling.

What if you're natuarally boney though?

My metabolism was always really high, which meant I was always very skinny and well, boney.

For some people, that's just natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Keira Knightley was 21 when Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End was shot. There is a big difference between a skinny 21 year old and a skinny 28 year old.

• Advertisement

My metabolism was always really high, which meant I was always very skinny and well, boney.
    For some people, that's just natural.

Exactly. *Thank you*

haubinda87 wrote: »
    Wow, some of the replies to this thread are hysterical, and in some cases perhaps the ramblings of envious and bitter women.
    Again, if that's in reference to me - and I'm assuming there's a good chance seeing as I've made a good few comments - I'd recommend you read my posts thoroughly.
    Did it ever cross your poor, malnourished minds that there are women out there, who are a size 8/6/4 and yet have curves and bodies that are small-framed yet in proportion?
    Oh definitely. I think the "below size 8" thing is just code for scrawny women, who, I'll say it again, don't have attractive bodies. But they may, like Ms Knightley, have exquisite faces:
    keira-knightley-pirates-of-the-caribbean-dead-mans-chest-uk-premiere-0Siu1z.jpg
    I'm tired of hearing some women rant on about their feminine, curvaceous, ''real wo-maan'' bodies, when in fact a lot of them are size 14 or over with absolutely no sense of proportion to their bodies, and just can't be assed to get it that way.
    Agreed. Fat is fat, it's not curvy. Curvy means slim and shapely.

And just to prove a point with some personal details... I'm a size 6/8 and a C cup. Don't try and tell me you can't have both small bones and curves! :p

Starved looking though? With prominent ribs and hip bones?

Dudess by the way I wasn't referring to you, I read some of the posts without checking the names and then started furiously typing :D

• Advertisement

That's a good point.

Dudess come off it with the "guys who like thin women are gay" implication
    I'm not referring to guys who like "thin" women, I'm referring to guys who like scrawny, starved-looking, boney women.
    Victor wrote: »
    Keira Knightley was 21 when Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End was shot. There is a big difference between a skinny 21 year old and a skinny 28 year old.
    She had a concave chest - and she was 21, not 9. A 21-year-old female may be young, but she's a woman. The girl obviously was not eating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Disgust me, no. Look attractive to me, no.

I agree with others that the women posted by the OP are not horribly scrawny at all. The only horribly scrawny girl is the one who somebody said looked great, with sticking out ribs and two small circles on her non existent tits.

Oh, and I think I read somewhere that Keira Knightley has some genetic thing which means she's gonna be very thin regardless of how much she eats.
    I read that she eats nothing, but meh, who knows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'm a size 7 and I'm pretty sick of all this prejudice against us!

We're talking 'bout shoe sizes, right?
    I'm not referring to guys who like "thin" women, I'm referring to guys who like scrawny, starved-looking, boney women.

Why? Because all guys are scrawny and starved looking? That makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Seriously? Are you kidding me?
    Why is it okay to slag off skinny people, but say so much as a bad syllable about an obese person & you're the world's worst.

I do not support the forced size 0 emaciated look, but being overweight is just as bad, but its not PC to mention the fat people is it? You can't slag them because there'll be uproar.

I'm a size 6-8. I eat, all the time. I never gain weight. I don't over-excercise and I hate salady stuff. I have curves where I should and I'm happy as I am. I'm naturally the size I am, and I'm sick hearing all this anti-skinny crap.

Maybe try targeting unhealthy people, seriously underweight or seriously overweight, not the people who are naturally the size they are & can't help it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I don't think the 1st and 3rd links are that bad...that's pretty much me, I'm just above 7 stone at the moment, but I've always been like that. I don't gain weight, despite the fact that I should actually be piling it on because I have hypothyroisism.. For some reason, only my upper half looks thin, I'm out of proportion. Don't really like hearing comments such as stick insect etc etc, but I console myself with the fact that I'm not starving myself.

There's a huge difference between saying 'skinny bitch' and 'fat bitch'. The former is much more common, and even when it's said in a jealous tone (oh I'm soo flattered) it's just as insulting as the latter.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Why? Because all guys are scrawny and starved looking? That makes no sense.
    I don't get ya...
    That pic made me snigger but it doesn't sum up this thread at all. The girl in the pic is staring unhappily at two very healthy slim girls with curves, who look great. I'm objecting to a celebration of extreme thinness. Have a more thorough read of the posts. It is possible for a woman to find scrawniness unattractive and to object to it being on the catwalks... and not be jealous. I chuckle at suggestions that I'm jealous. Of what? That I don't look half-dead?! That I'm not weak with the hunger and thus miserable all the time? LOL. I eat healthily and I exercise regularly - in a bid to have a body like this: angelina-jolie5.jpg

You'll notice I posted up several other pictures of women with amazing bodies whom I greatly admire - I'm not jealous of them - as examples of what's attractive. So where exactly is the evidence that I'm jealous/bitter etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh definitely. I think the "below size 8" thing is just code for scrawny women, who, I'll say it again, don't have attractive bodies. But they may, like Ms Knightley, have exquisite faces:
    keira-knightley-pirates-of-the-caribbean-dead-mans-chest-uk-premiere-0Siu1z.jpg
    If only she wore less make-up (OK, perhaps its need for the flash photography, but it didn't work out).
    Curvy means slim and shapely.
    Famine victim
    Anorexic
    Boney
    Underweight
    Skinny
    Slight
    Thin
    Slim
    Normal
    Curvy
    Rounded
    Well fed
    Overweight
    Fat
    Obese
    Super obese
    Ad nauseum

All dependent on age, development, body shape, etc.
    She had a concave chest - and she was 21, not 9. A 21-year-old female may be young, but she's a woman.
    But you are mostly comparing her to women in their 30s and 40s.

Monica Bellucci is 43

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/specials/beauties07/beauties/scarlett_johansson.jpg

Scarlett Johansson is 23

http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/celebs/salmahayek/salma_hayek_37.jpg

Salma Hayek is 41

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/259052~Heidi-Klum-Posters.jpg

Heidi Klum is 35

http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/25/doctorshilpa.jpg

Shilpa Shetty is 33

http://www.jaunted.com/files/admin/ditacup.jpg

Dita Von Teese is 36

• Advertisement

Why have the visibility of bones become synonomous with being dangerously skinny? Do people think people with visible cheekbones are unhealthy too? People differ naturally in how much their bones protrude, it's only partly related to skinniness and there's far too much variability to judge people by it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Why have the visibility of bones become synonomous with being dangerously skinny? Do people think people with visible cheekbones are unhealthy too? People differ naturally in how much their bones protrude, it's only partly related to skinniness and there's far too much variability to judge people by it!

You know what Dudess is talking about and what she is complaining about. Stop pretending otherwise.

The concentration camp look is very unattractive to me and any other guy I've talked to. Yes there are a lot of girls who are naturally very skinny and even bony but Dudess is talking about the starved look which we all know is different.

It seems to me there's an awful lot of people on here just looking for something to get offended about.

Seriously? Are you kidding me?
    Why is it okay to slag off skinny people, but say so much as a bad syllable about an obese person & you're the world's worst.
    being overweight is just as bad, but its not PC to mention the fat people is it? You can't slag them because there'll be uproar.
    That line's getting tiresome. It's not ok to slag off skinny people to their face, nor is it ok to slag off fat people to their face, nor is it ok to tip-toe round obesity, nor is it ok to tip-toe around starvation.
    But fat people get absolutely slated here and scrawniness is being defended on this particular thread.
    I do not support the forced size 0 emaciated look
    Neither do I, and that's what I'm saying here. I am NOT saying there's anything wrong with being really slim and healthy.
    I'm a size 6-8. I eat, all the time. I never gain weight. I don't over-excercise and I hate salady stuff. I have curves where I should and I'm happy as I am. I'm naturally the size I am, and I'm sick hearing all this anti-skinny crap.
    You don't sound particularly skinny and you certainly sound healthy.
    Maybe try targeting unhealthy people, seriously underweight or seriously overweight, not the people who are naturally the size they are & can't help it.
    That's what I'm doing. Take no notice of the "size 8" in the thread title. That's being used as code for severely scrawny. Lots of lads haven't a clue about dress sizes ;)

javaboy wrote: »
    It seems to me there's an awful lot of people on here just looking for something to get offended about.

No Javaboy but there are a lot of people very quick to label a woman who is anyway petite and naturally thin as 'scrawny and unhealthy'. They are also quick to assume that if you are a size 8 or less you 'obviously' don't eat and are trying to 'impress' people. Not to mention the fact that we are then likened to 'scrawny teenage boys'. Now I think if similar things were assumed about you based solely on your appearance then you might very well be offended too Javaboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I don't get ya...

Okay, I don't wanna go back over the whole thread but you basically said guys who are attracted to skinny girls are gay and when someone took you up on it you said you were just talking about scrawny, unhealthy looking girls which to me makes no sense unless you think gay people are attracted to scrawny, unhealthy looking boys.
    That pic made me snigger but it doesn't sum up this thread at all.

Geez, there's no point in posting a funny pic if you're actually going to take it at face value.

It wasn't aimed at you etiher.

Or something to get disgusted about.

You know what Dudess is talking about and what she is complaining about. Stop pretending otherwise.

No need for the hostility dude. I'm not trying to be false here, just having a conversation. :) I genuinely thought when I read this

that Dudess used the protusion of bones to judge if women are too skinny. If I've misinterpreted I'm very sorry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dudess, the problem with your list is that the women in it are in the flesh tm very thin/small/petite. I've seen two in that list in the flesh tm(sadly not the flesh) and they're tiny. When compared to the average "thin" woman anyway. Curvy they are not. I dread to think what the really skinny women look like.

Curvy is usually shorthand for being bigger. Much bigger.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Size 8 is normal..
    Meaning what exactly?

• Advertisement

I like this thread. It's gathering all the feisty, skinny girls in one place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Last time I heard obese people still get a ****load more hassle than skinny people.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Dudess, the problem with your list is that the women in it are in the flesh tm very thin/small/petite. I've seen two in that list in the flesh tm(sadly not the flesh) and they're tiny. When compared to the average "thin" woman anyway. Curvy they are not.
    And yet someone referred to them as being a little too big...

But you know what I mean - they're shapely and have soft lines rather than poker straight ones.

That line's getting tiresome. It's not ok to slag off skinny people to their face, nor is it ok to slag off fat people to their face, nor is it ok to tip-toe round obesity, nor is it ok to tip-toe around starvation.
    But fat people get absolutely slated here and scrawniness is being defended on this particular thread.

I agree with all that, but then it becomes a matter of what you consider someone on a starvation diet to look like, and if your definition of that is someone like Keira Knightley (who's clearly a healthy woman), then I think you've drawn the line way too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

there's some awful horse **** been spoken by some of the guys in this thread..

Just because a girls ribs are showing does not make her too skinny...

the perfect woman should be like a finely toned race horse, no fat!!

For anyone who hasn't seen 10, Bo Derek was about a 6 or a 7 when she made 10, her ribs were showing, if anyone thinks she is too skinny you need your head read.... http://badtoad.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/bderek.jpg

If that makes me gay you can paint me pink and call me Cecil Monkey:p

Yep.

Till I was about 22, then my metabolism finally slowed down and I put on a bit of weight.

• Advertisement

Phlann wrote: »
    I like this thread. It's gathering all the feisty, skinny girls in one place.

And the feisty, skinny blokes, but that probably doesn't do much for ya :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree with all that, but then it becomes a matter of what you consider someone on a starvation diet to look like, and if your definition of that is someone like Keira Knightley (who's clearly a healthy woman), then I think you've drawn the line way too high.
    Keira Knightley is too thin. Waaaay too thin. No amount of metabolic problems are gonna make you that skinny. Short in the leg too, but that's by the by...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

No Javaboy but there are a lot of people very quick to label a woman who is anyway petite and naturally thin as 'scrawny and unhealthy'. They are also quick to assume that if you are a size 8 or less you 'obviously' don't eat and are trying to 'impress' people. Not to mention the fact that we are then likened to 'scrawny teenage boys'. Now I think if similar things were assumed about you based solely on your appearance then you might very well be offended too Javaboy

I'm very tall and naturally pretty thin, and I've suffered the 'skinny bitch' jibes many times, especially when I'm eating.. However my bones do not protrude like the victim of an eating disorder.

I say victim because not every seriously underweight girl is just trying to impress people..a friend of mine suffers terribly and I know for a fact that if she could normalise her weight and relationship with food, she would do so in a heartbeat. It would hurt her terribly to be told she disgusts anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

the perfect woman should be like a finely toned race horse, no fat!!

Hopefully not as fast.

• Advertisement
Advertisement