Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do women below Size 8 Disgust you ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

giggii wrote: »
    that was just from a bmi calculator so i may be wrong.
    considering her height, size 16 isn't terribly big. i
    f she was shorter she would look much bigger. i have firends who are that height and size 14-16 and some that are 5'0 and a size 4-6 and neither look any better or worse than the other. if the shorter ones were anything over an eight they would look too heavy and if the taller ones were any smaller they would look too thin.

yeah i think how tall or short you are can have a big effect on your body shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

giggii wrote: »
    that was just from a bmi calculator so i may be wrong.
    considering her height, size 16 isn't terribly big. i
    f she was shorter she would look much bigger. i have firends who are that height and size 14-16 and some that are 5'0 and a size 4-6 and neither look any better or worse than the other. if the shorter ones were anything over an eight they would look too heavy and if the taller ones were any smaller they would look too thin.
    So shorter people shouldn't be anything over a size 8?! Be careful how you phrase things!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Personally don't find the Miss England one attractive, bit too big imo from what I could see in the short clip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

So shorter people shouldn't be anything over a size 8?! Be careful how you phrase things!!!!!!!!!!!

no i don't mean it like that at all. i was just using my friends as an example that height does determine how people carry different sizes. there was no offence meant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dudess wrote: »
    Stats like that seem like bullsh1t - e.g. Kelly Brook claims to be eight stone. My hole. She has a fabulous figure but she's at least 10 stone. These lies are probably made up by their agents who don't want the risk of them losing work due to being considered too "fat":rolleyes:.
    Yes the meeedja bullshíts all the time, but I would defo disagree with you. I know women who are size 6/8/10 at different heights and there's no way kelly brook is 10 stone. She's apparently 5, 8 and an ex of mine was that height and just under 9 stone. She wasn't bony or anorexic. Infact she had quite the round bum on her and chest to match. She had a slightly bigger frame than ms brook too. So I would have put Kelly brook at a guess at about 8.5 stone give or take. If she said she was 10 stone I would be very surprised. They wouldn't be the only examples I can think of.

The camera does put pounds on people. Its a cruel mistress and women I would have thought of as slim look bigger on camera. Same with male actors etc. Some look very well built on camera, yet in the flesh are quite small. Sly Stallone apparently is laughably small, yet doesnt look it.
    Adriana Lima looks more like a size 10 than a six in that pic.
    At her height of 5 10? I would agree. Size 8/10. 9 odd stone.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think she looks fantastic. Not meant to have extra flab? I see slim people with "flab", but I hardly think that's a fair comment to make! She's a beautiful girl with a beautiful body. She's 5'10! She carries the weight extremely well. Too much pressure is put on people nowadays. Plus she says she eats healthily and goes to the gym so what's the problem?
    She's pretty, but personally I think she's heavier than she should be. The double chin is the obvious part. She could easily drop a dress size and not look like skin and bone. Now she describes herself as looking like skin and bone at size twelve and while she may not look as nice at say size 14, she would be a looooong way from skin and bone at size 12. There's a bit of wishful thinking at both ends of the scale. From ms knightly to her. Ms knightly is scarily thin and shes tipping the scales.
    Dragan wrote:
    Actually, we kind of are. Having a six pack and the relevant bodyfat levels is far more unnatural than having a bit of excess weight.

As a species food has been plentiful to us for a much shorter time that it was a rarity. Sounds odd right? A lack of food meaning excess wait but on a genetic level we are still tuned to storing as much as we can to prevent starvation in times of need.

When food comes into short supply the body will start shedding calorifically demanding tissues first.....mainly muscle. It cuts down the bodies basic metabolic rate required to function meaning we can survive on less food. Fat is a pretty much a non demanding tissue to have...it requires no calories to maintain it.

As such, as a species, it is perfectly normal for us to store extra weight....in the grand scheme of things.
    Good post and I would agree with you, but.... :D While we are programmed to store fat for times of need, that programming has been overwritten by the abundance of food at our disposal now. Look at hunter gatherer types all over the world. Yes the men may get middle aged spread, but most of the young men(up to 40) have six packs or 4 packs at least and are well muscled and lean. The young women tend to be within a fairly slim range too. You very rarely see women of size 18 or anything near that, unless the tribe has a fattening culture(and they're usually agrarian societies). We're also programmed to like high calorie sugars, but in the wild they're rare, hence diabetes is almost unknown in those groups. The only hunter gatherer people on the planet I can think of that would be chunkier would be the Inuit as a cold adaptation.

I would reckon that "natural" humans would have a very narrow range of weights. You don't even have to go back that far. Go back a couple of generations and women were much smaller on average. Yes there were big people, but they were rare by comparison. I would say trying to find a size 18 dress in the ireland of 1960 would be a long search. Look at old photos and try and find obese people. Not easy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Given how different someone who's 5' and a size 8 and someone who's 6' and a size 8 will look, it's impossible to generalise. I really don't like the skeletor look, I think natural curves look way nicer. However in general a skeletal-looking person will be more like a size 4-6 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

skelator actually carried a good bit of muscle,hes been unfairly maligned imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

javaboy wrote: »
    I read in Cosmo that salt will cause you to retain water and make you a fatty fatty fat fat! Have you seen what that **** does to slugs? :eek:
    I walked into that one. Sharp as a tack you are! Speaking of which, walking on a tack barefoot or only in socks must be mighty painful...
    Id say she is hot.

But thats me.
    Oh she's very pretty and not at all huge, but she's overweight.
    Dragan wrote: »
    Actually, we kind of are. Having a six pack and the relevant bodyfat levels is far more unnatural than having a bit of excess weight.

As a species food has been plentiful to us for a much shorter time that it was a rarity. Sounds odd right? A lack of food meaning excess wait but on a genetic level we are still tuned to storing as much as we can to prevent starvation in times of need.

When food comes into short supply the body will start shedding calorifically demanding tissues first.....mainly muscle. It cuts down the bodies basic metabolic rate required to function meaning we can survive on less food. Fat is a pretty much a non demanding tissue to have...it requires no calories to maintain it.

As such, as a species, it is perfectly normal for us to store extra weight....in the grand scheme of things.
    Oh I know the only people who have no fat are skeletal types/super-muscular ones, but extra wobbliness and chunkiness... wouldn't we be healthier without it?
    Dudess ya can't pick and choose what you want to believe just to suit your own argument. Now I'm not being pedantic but I remember a few pages back you replied to someone who thought Keira Knightley looked good that 'well i read she doesn't eat'. Now a few pages on when someone has posted a really hot pic of Adriana Lima where it states she's a size six, you don't want to believe that though :confused: I know paper never refused ink but denial's not just a river in Egypt either...
    What am I supposed to be denying? Kiera Knightley, in some pictures, is scrawny, not slim. "Thin" would even be a generous adjective. Adriana Lima, in that pic, is slim but toned and with curves. If Kiera Knightley's a size six (say in that premier/dress pic) then Adriana Lima is clearly bigger. And being a model, she's likely to be taller too, which would make her look scrawnier again if she was a size six. I think Adriana Lima looks size 10 tops, which is still slim.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    The camera does put pounds on people. Its a cruel mistress and women I would have thought of as slim look bigger on camera.
    No doubt about it.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    She's pretty, but personally I think she's heavier than she should be. The double chin is the obvious part. She could easily drop a dress size and not look like skin and bone. Now she describes herself as looking like skin and bone at size twelve and while she may not look as nice at say size 14, she would be a looooong way from skin and bone at size 12.
    That's what I'm saying too. Bubblewrap, the girl is a bit heavy - not drastically so - but she's considerably overweight. And I'm not saying she has a humungous amount to lose, nor would she only look good skinny. She could still be curvy and shapely if she slimmed down, and would look, in my opinion, a lot nicer. And I don't think it's harsh to say it like it is about her. I don't think I have an unhealthy, skewed view of what fat is.
    Someone who would consider this fat though, does have such a view: http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/celebs/martinemccutcheon/martine_mccutcheon_2.jpg

That to me is the ideal female figure.

As I said, I don't think scrawny looks good, I don't think overweight looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Ideally she would be a bit smaller but I don't think she is too bad looking at all. She is not disgusting to look at by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I'll have cheese on that, a few fries, and a happy meal please?

actually, wait a minute.... she's too fat for a mcdonalds burger!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Jigsaw wrote: »
    Ideally she would be a bit smaller but I don't think she is too bad looking at all. She is not disgusting to look at by any means.

she is disgusting to look at!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

she is disgusting to look at!
    yah, but if she's good in the bed...

just make sure the kids dont turn out to be as fat, and then you can call it a job well done...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Adriana Lima

http://digilander.libero.it/pugenzonline/adrianalima/01adrianalima.jpg

Dress size 6 (UK, US 4) if wikipedia is to be believed

Nice. She wouldn't look like a 6 at all unless she is quite short.

although her head does look big compared to her body.
    http://images.askmen.com/galleries/model/adriana-lima/pictures/adriana-lima-picture-3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Thanks for the attempts to figure out the size conversion. Most of the sizes aren't standardized over here and sizes vary so much from brand to brand that it's probably almost impossible to get an accurate conversion.

I'd be pretty moritified if I got as big as that Miss England, but it's nice to know there are men who find that attractive. It just doesn't look healthy, imho. But good for her for doing her thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

This is stupid. How come you're allowed bang on about how disgusting skinny girls are but not talk the same way about fat or "curvy" girls, or "girls with curves", or whatever way women disguise the word "FAT" nowadays? I think it's a conspiracy against thin people choreographed by fat jealous bitches. It's like saying "omg people with burn scars on their faces are so disgusting, that Simon Weston makes me wanna puke ffs".

Ideally? Naw that to me is pretty minging. I'd also love to know what she does at the gym, go straight to the cake shop?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Sorry but that's a big fat ditch-pig if ever I saw one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 haubinda87

That not "curvy", it's just fat. But she's got a pretty face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Oh I know the only people who have no fat are skeletal types/super-muscular ones, but extra wobbliness and chunkiness... wouldn't we be healthier without it?

Once again thats a tricky one. It's not good to be too overweight but it's not good to be under weight either. Both have there long term health issues.

Let me put it this way....it's perfectly fine for the media, the fashion industry, films etc to push being a bit too THIN, but it's not okay for them to push being a bit too fat. Why is this?

Pushing the idea of "thin=sexy" is more dangerous to me that anything else. The image of a thin woman in most peoples heads is also, by and large, one that is lacking a lot of muscle. Normally they will have less muscle than they should because they eat a low protein diet as advocated by too many magazines. They are unlikely to excercise in a manner to overcome this because "weights make you look like a man" and so oesteporosis is going to be an issue. Personally, and this is just conjecture and i will have to wait till i am much older to see if i am right, i think we will see cases of said medical issue rising a lot as we all age.

Thats a very specific argument i guess, but one that is going to come from the forced public perception of thin. A lot of these girls are not thin, they are a little too thin. In my opinion.:)

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    This is stupid. How come you're allowed bang on about how disgusting skinny girls are but not talk the same way about fat or "curvy" girls, or "girls with curves", or whatever way women disguise the word "FAT" nowadays? I think it's a conspiracy against thin people choreographed by fat jealous bitches. It's like saying "omg people with burn scars on their faces are so disgusting, that Simon Weston makes me wanna puke ffs".
    How many times are people gonna say the above? Ok! We get it!

Fat people get absolutely slated. Look how even unhealthily thin people are being defended here?

That Miss England girl is overweight and I don't think it should be celebrated, in the same way as I don't think half-dead looking girls should be working as catwalk models, but I'd guess Miss England is healthier because at least her body's not starved. She's not gargantuanly fat either, and the camera does add pounds.

But her claims about going to the gym and watching what she eats etc... are not true. The proof is in the pudding.

But her claims about going to the gym and watching what she eats etc... are not true. The proof is in the pudding.

There is no more proof.

She ate it.

Sorry.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I always watch what I eat. I find eating spaghetti in particular is tricky if you don't watch what you're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

haubinda87 wrote: »
    That not "curvy", it's just fat. But she's got a pretty face.

She's got a chubby piggy face imo.

Then again, I've my own perception of beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

women that are size 8 look terrible most of the time, they just look like 11 year old boys :(

Gimme some curves !

Kold wrote: »
    She's got a chubby piggy face imo.

Then again, I've my own perception of beauty.
    I think her face is pretty and would be beautiful if she lost some weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Anti wrote: »
    Gimme some curves !
    Hell Yeah

^5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Casshern88 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a "thin girl".....But less than size 8 i think is a little too skin and bone for me.... i think a lot a guys would prefer there g.f. to be a curvy size 12 rather than a size 6.....

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Anti wrote: »
    women that are size 8 look terrible most of the time, they just look like 11 year old boys :(

Gimme some curves !

Nice generalisation there! You can be a size 8 and have curves!

I respect your opinion though. I actually don't find skinny guys attractive.

• Advertisement

GrumPy wrote: »
    lol
    Again, laughing at that comment. What's so funny about it? I truly believe there are plenty of guys out there who'd prefer a size 12 (slim and shapely - not pudgy. Size 14 is where pudginess starts) to scrawniness. Is that so naive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭BubbleWrap85

Well I apologise for not having the perfect size 10 body. I'm actually a little bit taken aback by some of the comments here about FAT people. There's absolutely no need for it. I'm fat, do those comments apply to me? I guess they do seeing as you said them. How can people be expected to tolerate other races, or people with disabilities, or anything other than "the norm" when we're slating people for either being too thin or too fat? I really am quite hurt by some of the comments. Nice to know what you all really thing. Remind me not to attend any of the Boards Beers for fear of revolting any of you. Enjoy the weekend.

Again, laughing at that comment. What's so funny about it? I truly believe there are plenty of guys out there who'd prefer a size 12 (slim and shapely - not pudgy. Size 14 is where pudginess starts) to scrawniness. Is that so naive?

Agreed.

BubbleWrap, if people view overweight as unattractive then that's their prerogative. I don't see anything wrong with that view. What I do have a problem with though, is people disliking an overweight person just because they're overweight - nothing to do with their personality. Sure, you might consider their lifestyles unhealthy, but to actually base a person's size on your estimation of them as a person is absolutely disgusting, and people like that have problems. I doubt the majority of people would be like that here BubbleWrap. Don't let it hurt you.

Well I apologise for not having the perfect size 10 body. I'm actually a little bit taken aback by some of the comments here about FAT people. There's absolutely no need for it. I'm fat, do those comments apply to me? I guess they do seeing as you said them. How can people be expected to tolerate other races, or people with disabilities, or anything other than "the norm" when we're slating people for either being too thin or too fat? I really am quite hurt by some of the comments. Nice to know what you all really thing. Remind me not to attend any of the Boards Beers for fear of revolting any of you. Enjoy the weekend.

I know what you're saying but a lot of it is just people being honest about their opinions. I doubt you'll be made to feel unwelcome at a Boards' beers and anyone who would treat you like crap solely because of how you look isn't worth your time anyway.
    Nice to know what you all really thing

That's a bit harsh really. There's plenty of people being very sensible and sensitive about the issue here.

Fat girls don't disgust me, I just don't find them sexually attractive. There's nothing wrong with that, tonnes of women don't find me sexually attractive.

Pun unintended....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Weight threads in AH are always such shitfests.

"I hate people who generalise about * people.

Now, let me give you my generalistions to balance this out."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Earthhorse wrote: »

QFT.

Earthhorse wrote: »

You can't say that about every weight thread in AH Earthhhorse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

You can't say that about every weight thread in AH Earthhhorse!

Oh, I agree. But first let me generalise about threads in AH some more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Why don't we just feed the fat birds to the skinny birds?

FEED THE BIRDS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ronaldo2

SetantaL wrote: »
    Why don't we just feed the fat birds to the skinny birds?

FEED THE BIRDS!

OMG, :p

How can people be expected to tolerate other races, or people with disabilities, or anything other than "the norm" when we're slating people for either being too thin or too fat?
    But that's not comparing like with like because it's not as if you can't do anything about being overweight - unlike your colour or being disabled.

Now I know it's not easy to lose weight - the psychological hold food can have on people is often devastating. People can be addicted to food the very same way as people can be addicted to alcohol and heroin.
    But it's not impossible to lose weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gal'allthe'way

no only women under 8. we shouldnt have young people on the earth right now with all the wars breaking out from the terrorists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Amy Elliott

Just for the record Naturally thin people do actually exist . My entire family are all skinny , and we all have huge appetites
    I am sick to death of having to explain my thiness to people ,and that I'm not sick or dying or anorexic. I would never ever dream of telling an overweight person that they needed to lose weight so why do people assume they should tell me that I need to eat more and "fatten up"

I would say my body type is probably the least attractive of all body types because it's athletic and I don't have any curves at all. I have alot of male friends and they would generally tend to favour girls with boobs and some sort of "shape" . I really can't imagine why anyone would want to be as thin as m to be honest, it is definitely more a curse than a blessing.

Slimness in women is only attractive combined with curves I think that is the general consensus. I think being naturally thin and unable to gain weight as being much worse than being overweight ,as being overweight you can actually (usually) do something about it.

Just for the record Naturally thin people do actually exist . My entire family are all skinny , and we all have huge appetites
    I am sick to death of having to explain my thiness to people ,and that I'm not sick or dying or anorexic. I would never ever dream of telling an overweight person that they needed to lose weight so why do people assume they should tell me that I need to eat more and "fatten up"

I would say my body type is probably the least attractive of all body types because it's athletic and I don't have any curves at all. I have alot of male friends and they would generally tend to favour girls with boobs and some sort of "shape" . I really can't imagine why anyone would want to be as thin as m to be honest, it is definitely more a curse than a blessing.

Slimness in women is only attractive combined with curves I think that is the general consensus. I think being naturally thin and unable to gain weight as being much worse than being overweight ,as being overweight you can actually (usually) do something about it.

Athletic bodies are hot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Amy Elliott

yeah, well I most certainly am not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

thats tops kid you got to get your glasses back on hahahaha

love that sort of bird . lol bit of cushin etc etc

Kold wrote: »
    Athletic bodies are hot...

It depends. I reckon from Amy's post that she's got the Sonia O'Sullivan type athletic body rather than say the Anna Kournikova type.

A lot of people wouldn't go for the long distance athlete type body.

Each to their own I suppose.

• Advertisement

It depends. I reckon from Amy's post that she's got the Sonia O'Sullivan type athletic body rather than say the Anna Kournikova type.

A lot of people wouldn't go for the long distance athlete type body.

Each to their own I suppose.

I do. Only Sonya's got a face like a slapped arse.

Advertisement