Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asp.net content management theory

Options
  • 15-07-2008 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've been searching google for this but have only come across third party applications.

What I'm looking to do is set up an online shop, from scratch, and have a content management system to manipulate the products etc.

I've had a look on asp.net but have just found open source products.
    Has anyone done anything like this.
    What are the main features of .net you need to use. I'm especially confused on the CMS side of things so if anyone can shed some light it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Do you want to develop the whole thing yourself i.e. write it from scratch or use a third party application? It's not clear from your post (or maybe I'm just reading it wrong).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Like malice said not exactly clear what your looking for.

Why not just download the source to one of the open source projects you found and have a poke around to see how they do things. Hell even just get one that does most of what you want, alter it to do exactly what you want and hey presto.

Really depends on what exactly what you are looking for here....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you're not willing to use open source, I think what you are looking for is Microsoft Commerce Server 2007. It's .Net based and handles the CMS side of things (managing products, customers etc). There's a free evaluation at the link above.

From what I remember off the top of my head, it will let you build sites quickly through wizards (no coding) that will contain all the normal functionality, and you can of course code your own stuff in .Net to go along with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

Sorry, Yes, I meant I'd like to build one myself from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

IF you want a good primer, google "The Beer House"

Its asp.net 2.0 and theres a book that goes along with it, that explains how the site is built from the ground up. Source code is available from the www.asp.net site under starter kits.

Have the book, its pretty well written although the site is not strictly a CMS in a strictest sense but does implement many of the features you'd want.

Dot Net Nuke is the big open source .net CMS and again you could take the source code to learn from...

Building your own CMS is a big project when you start to think of all the features you would need so these open sources sites are a big short cut

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

DotNetNuke also has an open source shop/commerce module available for it, but I've no idea how good it is.

Advertisement