Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

97 bmw 316 - repair or scrap?!

Options
  • 15-07-2008 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Evening, got a surplus to requirements 1997 bmw 316ise (140k miles) which has a head gasket problem... coolant visible in the oil but I noticed it straight away and no overheating has occurred.

Looking at 600 euros to get it fixed up if it's just the gasket but would it be worth it? What would be the second hand value roughly? Car has no NCT and tax runs out in 2 months, bit of rust on the boot but good runner otherwise.

Cheers for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Id say a get it fixed 600 aint too bad, but you could sell as is, let somebody else sort it out have it at a dropped price. How much is a little rust?! I hope its not rust everywhere.

Its just a shame to let any car rot away that still runs alright. That only needs work.

These are big with the boy racers at the moment you'll get some young lad to take it off your hand since its only a 316

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Oh I would love to have a bit of a project car going that with a bit of spit and polish would be a kickass 316.
    Do you have a younger family member that would benefit from the donation of it for a worthy cause.
    Dont scrap it anyway.
    Give it to frigging me for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redape99

Just a bit of rust on the boot where a spoiler is attached and a touch on the number plate! Trouble with selling as is is that it probably can't be driven away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Id say an honest ad would draw attention! If prospective buyers know they will have to tow it they can arrange that. I really think you should advertise this and see what happenes. Put down a low price what you want paid for it, see what bites. Its a small engined sporty-ish number.

Put up an ad even in your local paper or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Is a 97 316 really worth that little?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

sounds salvageable, why let a decent motor die ?? fix it, enjoy it, sell it on to an enthusiast and enjoy the great karma, even though it is a 316... new booth is what... 150 quid if you dont want it grinded ( from england ) and thats rather cheap for a head gasket... though i can understand if you not a big car fan or you dont love it, then by all means sell it to a mechanic/breakers yard and take the tax off it.

Advertisement