Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biking across America

• 15-07-2008 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Basically I was reading the blog of a user here called Dory and in her blog was another blog of some Tipperary guy who was cycling across America for charity.

I researched it and basically to go in a group it costs alot of money and would be about 1 fifth of the price if you went by yourself. Also these companies are full of retired people.

However I'm pretty sure that nobody would go with me as they think it would be crazy, and secondly I'm not involved in any Bike Club (I'm in good shape and could easily do training in gym). SHould I just join a bike club?

And I wouldn't want to go alone cycling through America.

I'd be doing this for myself but does anybody know if Irish charities do it every year?

Any Irish groups do it? Or am I just crazy? Is it dangerous? I read about some old guy who crashed into a rock in Arizona and died.

Should I just be normal and do Thailand instead?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I don't know anything about clubs or what not but i can tell you that the fitness required for cycling outdoors is a lot different from the fitness you gain when you train in the gym on a stationary bike or threadmill. You'd wanna be practicing on the real thing.

I remember reading something before about a person who was jogging across the states for charity and he got robbed a few times. I'm sure you can map out a safe path but there are a lot of deserted stretches of road over there. And a lot of them go through not so safe neighborhoods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

YEah reading up on this more, something to do when I'm much older. Keep this thread open for people who wanna know about it though.

Advertisement