Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cow's milk at 11 months?

Options
  • 15-07-2008 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi all, just a quick question..i'm abroad at the moment and have run out of Aptimal 3. We've only two days left, would it be ok to give our 11 month old cow's milk in his bottle til we get home? He's a good eater and isn't too pushed about his milk in the heat but has at least three full bottles a day. Apologies if this is a silly question but i just thought i'd check!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

can you not get formula where you are ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thaedydal wrote: »
    can you not get formula where you are ?

+1 Babies in other countries need formula too!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Beware of the sugar content of some formulas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

No i can't get formula, obviously i have already looked in all two of the shops there are here before posting my question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There was to be someplace near by have you tried asking the local or a local dr ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Try the chemist, they always sell formula in the chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A little story & make of it what you will...

It was the summer of '69, I was 5 months old & on hols with Grandpa & Nana Billy on Inishbofin (off the coast of Connemara). A storm blew up that kept us island-bound for an extra 5 days during which the Cow & Gate ran out. The island shop didn't have any in stock. Or even bottles of milk for that matter.

"What will we feed my precious child?" Nana asks.
    "Sure haven't I got plenty of milk from my cows", replies our host (a local farmer.
    "But its not even pasteurised!" says Nana.
    "That's all right, sure I'll strain it through my handkerchief", he assures her.

And so it was that yours truly was fed unpasteurised cows milk (strained through a batchelor farmer's hankie) at the tender age of 5 months & I am still here to tell the tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

But judging by your avatar and name, you look a little odd ;)

I never said I was perfect. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hill Billy wrote: »

And so it was that yours truly was fed unpasteurised cows milk (strained through a batchelor farmer's hankie) at the tender age of 5 months & I am still here to tell the tale.

I was born 6 weeks early and I came home from the hospital at 3 weeks old. From that day on I was fed unpasteurised milk from our own cows.

Ya I lived to tell the tale but like Hill Billy I am a little bit odd :D

I'm guessing the OP will have sorted something out one way or the other by now. It's not ideal but if there truly is no formula to be found anywhere I don't think cows milk would do the baby any harm at that age. I think the biggest problem would be getting him to drink it.

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    Ya I lived to tell the tale but like Hill Billy I am a little bit odd :D

Ah, hang on a minute! I may not be perfect, but I never said I was odd either. Just to prove it - here's a recent pic...

168545dIkH_w.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Ah, hang on a minute! I may not be perfect, but I never said I was odd either. Just to prove it - here's a recent pic...

168545dIkH_w.jpg

rofl :D:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

At the risk of brutal attack from the PC brigade - there's nothing wrong with feeding a really healthy 11 month old cow's milk.

If it was such a big deal I'd guess the human race would have become extincy many years ago. Not a problem - and that's coming from a father of 4 .............. and when he / she's 16 you'll pray for the days when you wondered if feeding cow's milks was ok!!!!!!

How do they get from Cow's Milk to Cold Miller so quickly????????

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Just google and make a call on it. Are you going to rely on the good people of boards to help you make the decision? I find that very odd but each to their own I guess. I wouldn't think it's a big deal personally - just keep an eye out for adverse reactions.

Check this link:
    http://www.vhi.ie/hfiles/hf-134.jsp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Are there any other holiday makers with babys who can help you out ? People are very good with helping out abraod with any baby issues such as yours regardless of were they are from

good luck OP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

cows milk at 11 months for a couple of days is probably fine - 12 months is the recommended age. Presumably the kid is taking plenty of solids as well - its not like its a newborn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jujubee

I started my son on cows milk at 11.5 months, and by 12 months that's all he was drinking. Its perfectly fine to give him cows milk, as long as he's eating a varied diet.

Advertisement