Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yorkshire Terriers

Options
  • 15-07-2008 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

does anyone have any advice for me i have a little yorkie nearly one year old ' she is an Angel but now i,m minding my uncles boxer for the next 3 weeks and i,m afraid to let him near her incase he hurts her cause hes so big compared to her ' is a yorkie and a boxer fit to be good friends ? thankyou :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hey, I'd recommend starting a new thread to ask this, you will get more answers. The people here will give you loads of tips and advice on how to do it, but I would imagine that with supervision they would be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Lucy, how is the boxer with other dogs? is he socialized? as long as he is well socialized (i.e. isn't aggressive with other dogs) then you should be fine, just make sure to supervise any playtime to make sure he doesn't accidentally hurt you're Yorkie and step in if things get too rough. Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

As the above just said watch he dosn't squash her, although they are flighty and can move out of situations sometimes they are not quick enough.

Your dog might even try to dominate the boxer so just watch out for that too.

Watch them at all times if you see they act strange/weary around each other..

Should be ok though, best of luck with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Depending the the temperment of the boxer I'd say he might be in for a rude awakening from a breed which loves to punch above their weight!.

Yorkies have a reputation for being exceptionally jealous, territorial and protective of their owners, and while they're 'little angels', they can be a torn in the side of another dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Mairt wrote: »
    Depending the the temperment of the boxer I'd say he might be in for a rude awakening from a breed which loves to punch above their weight!.

Yorkies have a reputation for being exceptionally jealous, territorial and protective of their owners, and while they're 'little angels', they can be a torn in the side of another dog.

I concur.
    A yorkie wont be too shy about letting th boxer know, whats what. I would say they would be fine together, just supervise them for a while. Dont worry about the boxer sititing on the yorkie or something like that, it wont happen and if it does then the yorkie will just tell the big fella to move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Louise-88

My dad has a yorkie and a rottweiler and there best of friends, the yorkie is the one that picks on the rott, hes smart enough to get out of his way and i've noticed with my own dogs ( boxer, shiba inu and japanese spitz ) when the boxer gets too playful the japanese spitz whos tiny will roll over onto his back and its shows my boxer that shes getting too jumpy for his liking, i was afraid too leaving them when we just got him but learned from my dads dogs and from watching mine that if thes dogs arent aggressive and are fine together usually they know their own limits and will let each other know when to calm it down

Advertisement