Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results of Allergy Test

Options
  • 15-07-2008 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

I went for an allergy test today in a natural health clinic and got some very interesting results which are leading me to wonder what I'm going to eat over the next 6 weeks. Here's what came back to avoid completely while I detox.

Cheese, Chicken, milk, potato, wheat, yeast.

Not great news I have to admit, no beer, bread or spuds. I'm willing to give it a go but nature abhors a vacumn so I need to fill the gaps. This is not too bad for the next two weeks as I'm off work and can shop around but I'm worried for when I go back to work, I commute and eat out a lot as I don't really have a lot of time to cook during the week. I honestly can't believe that I'll stick to just eating rice as a substitute.

I've been given milk thistle to help the detox and Quest as a supplementery nutrient.

Other things that have been suggested are: Buckwheat noodles, rice noodles, gluten free pasta, spelt breads, oatcakes, soya milk.

Anyone any suggestions as to how to replace the spuds and wheat products?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Sweet potatoes are probably allowed, and are a delicious alternative.

Be creative where possible.

If you really stick to the detox teh results will be well worth it.

Make your own breads and soups, just give it a few hours on a sunday and freeze the soups for work if you have to.

Gluck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

ooohhh that is limiting....stock up on oddles and oddles of fruit and veg I guess (not spuds obviously).....if you can have rice then rice cakes are yummy (get the salt free ones) to snack on and you can put either sweet or savoury toppings on them depending on what you are craving. Gram flour is made from chickpeas and while not readily available in tesco you should be able to pick some up in a health food shop. Wouldn't necessarily use it for making bread but you know the way some recipies call for a little bit of flour for thickening or to coat something in - its ideal for those.

Like the other poster (sorry can't remember your name) said makes a big pot of soup or curry or whatever you are cooking and freeze in individual portions for when you have less time.

Lentils and pulses are great, if you are really craving a mashed potato type vibe, heat a tin of butter beans, mash them, add a little soya milk and some seasoning - okay its not the same but it is nice - honest!

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head but hope this is a help for a start....

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

nhughes100 wrote: »
    I went for an allergy test today in a natural health clinic and got some very interesting results which are leading me to wonder what I'm going to eat over the next 6 weeks. Here's what came back to avoid completely while I detox.

Cheese, Chicken, milk, potato, wheat, yeast.

I'd advise you to get a second test somewhere else to confirm those results before cutting out any foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mags16 wrote: »
    I'd advise you to get a second test somewhere else to confirm those results before cutting out any foods.
    QFT

http://www.vhi.ie/hfiles/hf-302.jsp#4
    Alternative methods of diagnosis from non-medical sources such as health food shops or complementary health practitioners are not scientifically proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Yes I'm a bit skeptical myself, but I dont see the harm in doing a 6 week detox to be honest. In fairness I wasn't told to cut these foods out completely but to moderate them and I do eat a lot of what came back so maybe I was eating too much of what was recommended to avoid for a while. Am doing some research and browsing the supermarkets, all I can say is I feel very sorry for people that can't eat wheat at all.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Rather than cut everything out at once, and lets face it make yourself miserable in the process. Why not try eliminating ONE thing a week and see if you feel better.. I'd start with wheat, a very common allergen.. but prepare to make most of your food yourself, cos every bit of processed food has wheat..

Plus, those tests are rubbish.. worst is kinesiology.. someone died in the US because a kinesiologist didn't detect a deadly peanut allergy...

Chicken? LOL! Who in the world is allergic to chicken?

Well battery farmed chicken I'm sure has stuff in it that's best to be avoided. I wouldn't rubbish the tests based on that peanut allergy, how many traditional doctors miss these things and mis diagnose? I know someone thats allergic to sugar of all things and isn't a diabetic. You'd be amazed what has sugar in it. Most fast food french fries for starters.

Anyway two days in and it's good so far, lets face it Irish people are too fast to reach for the old reliable spuds. I can't see myself staying on it, especially the bread but it's no harm to expand the food horizons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Beks

where did you get the test done? I'd be interested to go for one myself, I always thought I had an allergy to milk/cheese but it's never been confirmed. I get really bad stomach aches when I eat anything with a lot of lactose in it, I'd really like to know what my body can't tolerate... please let me know where you went!

It was in the wild earth natural health shop in Mullingar. If it's not handy for you the Dr China shops in most major shopping centres do allergy tests using a strand of your hair!

Advertisement