Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DISCUSS: the UK version of Big Brother doomed

Options
  • 15-07-2008 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

Well, considering Australia channel Netowrk Ten have decided to scrap their version, do you think that Channel 4 bosses will follow suit.

So far this series, we've had major conflict resulting in 2 housemates being rejected, we've had lacklustre ratings and we've still some 50 days remaining. Considering this is happening so early in the series, it's not looking very good for the prospects of a 10th series.

So, what do you think? Will C4 cancel before their existing contract with Endemol expires?

Will there be a 10th Series of Big brother 33 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    75% 25 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    24% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I reckon there'll be one more, but that'll be it.

It's most definitely run it's course. It's viewed as a platform to "fame" and the public (I hope) are getting tired of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Its done after this series imo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I really hope they dont, I enjoy BB but I think they got the mix wrong this year, BB needs to bring back the fun.
    The food fight was good to watch as light relief but I would like to see big brother become pranksters on the housemates, play tricks and do it in a way that the housemates are blaming each other.
    When they played the cold shower prank on Victor , and let Emma and Michelle take control of what happened it was good to watch. I suppose they could have good stuff to come but they would want to start putting it out there soon before we all switch off. Then the public really will have spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yes the show will end after this series in my view. The ratings are lower than at this point last year and with the Aussie version gone, not to mention the race row controversy fresh in people's minds, I think it will be put out of its misery.

The flaw with the programme the way I see it is that the rules forbid discussing nominations. The most interesting characters have been people who did precisely this. Nasty Nick, Jason and Victor etc.

People want to see sh*t stirrers get their comeuppance. You don't get that any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ratings being down is a bit of a misnomer really - its still pulling in a massive audience (by C4 standards) and is thus still a cashcow.
    A series next year is a definite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Umm...
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    /conga like you mean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ratings being down is a bit of a misnomer really - its still pulling in a massive audience (by C4 standards) and is thus still a cashcow.
    A series next year is a definite.

Monday night's episode had just 2.6m viewers and a fifteen per cent share of the audience. That's not massive and from what I've read many within Channel 4 are upset at having to rely on the show.

A series next year is not a definite considering bosses have said they are just planning on focusing on this year.

I reckon it won't be around next year. It's stale at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

The American version (season 10) has just started.

The first task an hour in the house & the losers are on slops for the week, while one member of the winning team won a restored & valuable 1967 corvette (I think), in a challenge that was spectacular.

Far superior show. I watch that one but not the UK one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

id love to see a final series next year, the for the 11th and final series have each winner from the 10 previous shows come back and do it...... that would be some craic!!
    let me see
    1.craig
    2.brian
    3.kate
    4.cameron?
    5.nadia
    6.anthony
    7.pete
    8.hmmmm....im missing someone(around 3&4 amnt i?, and cant think.........

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

id love to see a final series next year, the for the 11th and final series have each winner from the 10 previous shows come back and do it...... that would be some craic!!
    let me see
    1.craig
    2.brian
    3.kate
    4.cameron?
    5.nadia
    6.anthony
    7.pete

you're missing the guy from last year, Brian. Or else you meant him and missed Brian Dowling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

let me see
    1.craig
    2.brian
    3.kate
    4.cameron?
    5.nadia
    6.anthony
    7.pete

I thought something like this should replace Celeb Big Brother. It wouldnt have to be winners more of a "Best of Housemates" show. That would allow them to have people like John Tickle, Bubbles, Nasty Nick and Johnny the geordie fireman. But it could work well as a final season of the show providing they got the balance of housemates right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭Charlie

Agreed, alot of the winners were pretty bland. I would have a 'best of' edition, with the public voting in the ex-hm's.

However, in order to ensure the right balance of people, I would have a short-list of 30 hm's, in ten groups of 3. The public would have to vote 1 hm from each group of 3 into the house. This way you could ensure that there is the right balance of people, whilst also ensuring that the public get who they want to see again.

Advertisement