Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

90 per cent of the growth in crimes occurs in Tallaght, Coolock, Santry, Clondalkin

Options
  • 15-07-2008 9:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

:eek: Shocked.

Not really though.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I'd believe that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

pretty suprised santry is there..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Santry? Coolock?

Where did you get those stats?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

lightening wrote: »
    Santry? Coolock?

Where did you get those stats?

It was on RTE news at 6:00

Remember Tallaght proprably accounts for 80% of that total - whilst Santry is probrably distorted because of all the tourists from Ballymun. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

That's mad. I thought all those areas were calming down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The omission of Finglas from that is suspicious...
    [edit] ... as another siren goes by [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭allybhoy

and blanch....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Yeah pretty much all the crime in Santry is by little (k??)nackers from Ballymun :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

So is that 90% for all crime countywide, countrywide or worldwide ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

darkman2 wrote: »
    It was on RTE news at 6:00

Remember Tallaght proprably accounts for 80% of that total - whilst Santry is probrably distorted because of all the tourists from Ballymun. :D

"Probably accounts for 80%? So you're talking out your arse?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Any links for this OP?

Those totals are for the district garda stations rather than for the areas exclusively they are in so your wrong to label the areas as accounting for 90% of serious crime.
    rte wrote:
    Martina Fitzgerald reports that almost 90% of serious crime in Dublin takes place in the Blanchardstown, Coolock, Santry and Tallaght garda districts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0715/breaking26.htm

Important point:
    90 per cent of the growth in crimes
    i.e. not 90% of all crimes committed in Dublin

Also being a pedant (I think) and off topic:
    Crime levels grew 45 per cent in Tallght and Santry respectively
    Does the word respectively being used here not suggest there should be two figures? i.e. it should say
    Crime levels grew 45 per cent and X per cent in Tallght and Santry respectively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The OP is probably getting mixed with garda districts.

If a crime is committed in pretty much anywhere of North East Dublin, you’ll see Coolock garda station being mentioned on the news as it’s their responsibility.
    Santry is another major garda centre but that doesn’t mean they spend all their time combating crime in just Santry, they have an entire district to cover

Here's some facts:
    http://www.dublin.ie/disp_list.aspx?catId=81

Santry garda district includes:
    Whitehall
    Airport
    Ballymun
    Glasnevin

Blanchardstown garda district includes:
    Blanchardstown
    Clonsilla
    Finglas
    Cabra
    Clonee
    Clonsilla

Coolock garda district includes:
    Coolock
    Donaghmede
    Kilbarrack
    Malahide
    Swords

Tallaght may include the whole of South West Dublin including Templeogue, Kimmage etc, someone may confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Surely Swords Garda station covers swords - anyway this is off topic as Irish Halo pointed out the OP is skewing facts the title of the thread is misleading and even potentially damaging

egan007 wrote: »
    Surely Swords Garda station covers swords - anyway this is off topic as Irish Halo pointed out the OP is skewing facts the title of the thread is misleading and even potentially damaging

It does indeed. Swords garda station is part of the Coolock district. Don't ask how they came up with that boundary but thats how garda districts are mapped out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thread title changed as it was very miss leading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

What about all the unreported crime ( those areas to ) and in others ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Clondalkin wasn't mentioned on the list, and as a Clondalkin resident I am offended you icluded us in that list of commoners :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm not surprised that Coolock is on the list but I'm assuming it's Darndale bumping up those numbers. Ditto Ballymun with Santry.

I hate when crimes are reported as having happened in Coolock when really it's the district. We couldn't do all those crimes. Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I hate when crimes are reported as having happened in Coolock when really it's the district. We couldn't do all those crimes. Sigh.

They would be better off calling them something like district A,B,C etc or something like that,they do this in other country's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I know it just makes us sound much more prolific than other areas!

Dublin North Central District or similar name would be better. Or sound better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Yep. The item on the news was misleading because they failed to point out how the garda district stuff works.

Most parts of Santry are really nice and pretty quiet. Obviously Ballymun makes up the vast majority of the crime in the "Santry" area.
    Clondalkin wasn't mentioned on the list, and as a Clondalkin resident I am offended you icluded us in that list of commoners
    What's the deal with Clondalkin? I've only ever met snobs or commoners from there. What happened to all the middle class people? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

womoma wrote: »

What's the deal with Clondalkin? I've only ever met snobs or commoners from there. What happened to all the middle class people? :p

they all used their SSIAs to move to Coolock ;)

Advertisement