Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylors to Three Rock towers

Options
  • 15-07-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

I gave this route a go this evening seeing as I was at home all day and didn't do my commute. On the singlespeed, (45-18) it took 8 minutes to get from motorway bridge to T junction and then 17 to get to the towers. 25 in total. With several gasping and panting stops.

Heart Rate was 162 avg and 179 max. I don't know what my real max HR is, the formula gives me 220-27=193. So my avg of 162 should probably be a bit higher to get to around 90% max HR ? 90% is what I should be aiming for on a climb is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

What you should be aiming for really depends on you but you can figure it out based on the effort you are putting in. You can get better as you do more but from the sounds of it 90% would be too much at this stage. When I mentioned 90% before it was in the context of keeping it just at or under that figure (which works for me) - it's not some sort of target to hit!

The idea is that you aim for a heart rate that you can sustain for an extended period. You will find out what that rate is though trial and error :)

Kudos for doing that on a fixie BTW! 45-18 is between 39-15 and 39-16 on a normal road bike which would be a very hard ratio to do that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,372 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You did a lot better than me - in my recent attempt I only got as far as about here - about one third of the way up. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dublin&ie=UTF8&ll=53.259623,-6.277238&spn=0.002766,0.006609&t=k&z=17 I didn't realise how close I had actually come to the car park.

Great ride down thought. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Actually done this yesterday. Had to stop countless times but got up there in the end. Was a broken man but the journey down was great. Mind you, a mate ended up crashing on the way down and landed on an armco barrier. Don't know how he didn't do some real damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Ok, cheers for that Blorg. I'll keep at it until I can complete it in one go, without stopping and then start looking at the heart rate stuff I suppose.

I want to get good at it so as I can join along with saturday spins on the singlespeed and also try and build strength for when on the MTB, to not be constantly in the smallest ring!
    Actually done this yesterday. Had to stop countless times but got up there in the end. Was a broken man but the journey down was great. Mind you, a mate ended up crashing on the way down and landed on an armco barrier. Don't know how he didn't do some real damage.

Hah yeah, going down was great fun. Although speaking of spills, I clobbered myself the other day on the mtb and gouged a small gobbet of flesh out of my elbow. It was most unpleasant, I'd never seen so far into my flesh before. Straight to ebay and antiseptic wipes and spray on bandage purchased, to be stuck into the saddlebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

We did a very flat spin around Kildare, Meath and Louth on Sunday- there has been talk of making this sort of flat thing a Sunday regular- might suit your singlespeed a bit better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

blorg wrote: »
    We did a very flat spin around Kildare, Meath and Louth on Sunday- there has been talk of making this sort of flat thing a Sunday regular- might suit your singlespeed a bit better!

That sounds good ! I'd like to start building up distance alright

Advertisement