Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new build

• 15-07-2008 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

hi new to the site,any ideas on blocklaying costs and roofing carpentry in the buncrana area, as i am starting new build in august,
    machine hire .thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

Hi there, loads and loads of info on the site already that might help you out - check out previous posts using the search tool and have a look through the live self build section as well (where many people have listed approx costs / size of house...etc...etc) - I personally found it the best way to get info & you get to learn a load as well (that you might not have thought about)

best of luck with the build!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Wouldnt be sure about Buncrana but it appears that 60 - 70 cents per block seems to be a good average for the county at the moment. As regards roofing - well how long is a piece of string. You cant get a price here for that here.

As stated above have a look at the stickeys on the front page or have a search through the site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'm paying 90c per block, cavity wall in Wexford - agreed price at Christmas!

Shop around for everything!, be prepared to barter and hire tradesmen by Reputation.

Its a good time to build... the madness is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mon-Man

I was just wondering how much approx it would cost for a builder to:

Set out foundations
    Pour concrete for foundations with steel
    build dead building
    fill floors (radon, hardcore, concrete)
    build structure for House(2600 ft) & Garage (700ft)
    house and garage includes 140m2 of stone work.

The building is being carried out in the North East region

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Mon-Man wrote: »
    I was just wondering how much approx it would cost for a builder to:

Set out foundations
    Pour concrete for foundations with steel
    build dead building
    fill floors (radon, hardcore, concrete)
    build structure for House(2600 ft) & Garage (700ft)
    house and garage includes 140m2 of stone work.

The building is being carried out in the North East region

thanks

Well, going from your name I'm in the same area as you, building a V similar house.
    Although I haven't been given a quote specifically for mine yet, a similar one cost €300k to build by contractor!!! :eek:
    Don't know about you, but I've some serious rethinking to do, as there's no way I can afford that!!

A wonder are you my other 1/2?:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mon-Man

I think l'll be going direct labour to try and save a few Euro. Costs in this region dont seem to be coming down as fast as every where else. I work close by and can get to the site if need be during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

Mon-Man,
    If you can, direct labour is the way to go.
    I won't even go through some of the prices from builders, ludicrous figures given the current climate. Plenty of tradesmen have copped on though are their prices reflect the lack of new builds, plenty of competitive figures coming in.

I was quoted 18k for all of what you stated (incl nat. stone to front of house) on a 2400 sq ft c/w seperate garage. He'll have his own scaffolding, set out & dig founds, do fill, radon etc. & build substructure/superstructure to wallplate. Cash price 18, 23k through the books. I'll be purchasing materials myself. Others are coming in at approx. 75c a block.
    Pitched gable end roof 10m x 12m plus 9 x 7 garage coming in at 6,500 all-in incl slates.
    Currently going through land transfer saga, loan approved, can't wait to open the ground. I'm sure we'll be on here plenty for the next year or two annoying all these!

Advertisement