Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using an iPhone data allowance in a sim free phone?

• 15-07-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Is it possible to use 1GB (iPhone tariff) data allowance in any sim free phone? If yes, what settings do I need?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

With o2 you can ask to get the 1GB data plan added 15euro to your account if you are on Bill Pay. (10GB is 30euro).
    02 data prices

Will three you can do same, 1GB for 9.99 or 10GB for 19.99. Then again given that three don't support edge and 3g iphone isn't unlockable this isn't really an option yet.

Vodafone have their 500mb (http only) plan also Meteor have comparative plans and are going to be offering 3g soon enough (trialing it already, see other thread on this forum)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Vodafone now have an 1GB isp (all ports) data package for 9.99.
    WezzyB wrote: »
    Vodafone have their 500mb (http only) ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i'm confused. Neither of you answered his question. Yes you can use the iphone data allowance in another phone. It's something you get when you sign up to the iphone tariff but the system doesn't check if you're using an iphone before allowing you to use it.

the settings you need are the o2 internet settings. What phone are you planning to use it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i'm confused. Neither of you answered his question. Yes you can use the iphone data allowance in another phone. It's something you get when you sign up to the iphone tariff but the system doesn't check if you're using an iphone before allowing you to use it.

the settings you need are the o2 internet settings. What phone are you planning to use it in?

Thanks for that Sam. I don't know yet in what phone I'll use it, I'm thinking of SE X1. I am simply irritated by the iPhone instability. Safari of other apps crash at least 2-3 times a day. It's pretty annoying...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

elderlemon wrote: »
    Vodafone now have an 1GB isp (all ports) data package for 9.99.

just to qualify that slightly... Vodafone offer(ed?) a 1GB data promo to some of their customers... just checked again online now and it isn't an option to select on the test account here... calling customer care results in no info about a 1GB data package being available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

hosi wrote: »
    Thanks for that Sam. I don't know yet in what phone I'll use it, I'm thinking of SE X1. I am simply irritated by the iPhone instability. Safari of other apps crash at least 2-3 times a day. It's pretty annoying...

the reason i asked is that the wat you enter the settings varies by phone. when you get the phone if you have problem setting it up, post back here and someone will help you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

just to qualify that slightly... Vodafone offer(ed?) a 1GB data promo to some of their customers... just checked again online now and it isn't an option to select on the test account here... calling customer care results in no info about a 1GB data package being available

Hi, checked just there on myvodafone and I get the following list of addons
    1Gb ISP Promo  €8.26
    25MB Individual Bundle  €12.39
    Windows Mobile Email 12 Euro Add On  €12.00
    Windows Mobile Email 20 Euro Add On  €20.00
    Monthly 5GB Data Add On Bundle  €24.79
    Mobile Internet 500MB Add On  €8.26

So it is still there. Can't find any more details than that though. I'm currently on the 500MB one so maybe that makes a difference in getting the promo?

/Zith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Zith wrote: »
    Hi, checked just there on myvodafone and I get the following list of addons... So it is still there.

yeah it is there for some, but not a a general release option, so they have limited it for a certain group of customers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

Looks like it's for business customers. It's not available on "My" Vodafone but is when I rang Premier care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Hosi/Sam,
    Apologies if I didn't answer the question that was posed originally.
    I didn't know one could avail of any of the o2 'iphone plans' using any other sim free phone(i.e. nokia or sony or whatever), is this what you actually have with o2?
    or were you just interested in what sort of flat rate (>1GB) data packages are available on mobile networks?
    As Sam was saying the settings for these vary, just ring up customer support or whatever network you are with or intend to join and ask them specifically about the settings for your handset. Also there is a lot of good info in the stickies on this thread.
    Can you be more specific so that people might be able to give you a better answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

Yesterday I was trying to setup an internet connection on a SE W880i with an iPhone simcard. Unfortunately I wasn't successful :(
    Please tell me exactly what do I need to set up? I have created a new internet profile and a data account with a setting APN: internet. Are there any other settings I need to change?

Advertisement